Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:58 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Is a M1911 a good first firearm? 
 Post subject: Re: Genesis 19-11
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:08 pm 
Longtime Regular

jac714 wrote:
Genesis 19-11........

THAT WAS A HOOT!
ROFL :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

Ramoel: Sex and beer are older than 1911's too, so are you willing to give them up for something 21st Century too.... :shock:

BTW: This is not intended as a personal attack - :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

hammAR, I haven't given them up. In my opinion they're too nice to carry. I still shoot them and fondle them ( :oops: when no one is watching). No doubt they'll still be in fashion when we're carrying ray guns that can be set on stun like Star Trek.

I can't think of any other autoloader from that era that is still being manufactured.

That being said, my 1911's are now safe queens and I carry less valuable "Tool Type" guns that work very well but are not nearly as pretty.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

Thanks man, ya had me worried there for a minute....... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:46 pm 
Journeyman Member

"So last century..."

I love it.

The XD is just a hobgob of ideas from various pistols thrown together, hardly revolutionary for this century... (I like them, though)

As soon as someone puts together a Polomium 210 powered gas-dynamic laser pistol, then I'm pretty sure we'll have entered a new era.

I don't see why the 1911 wouldn't be a good pistol to buy; I fired a carry variant from Kimber, and while a bit rough, recoilwise, I don't think it was excessive, compared to some firearms I've handled in the past (Ti/Sc J-Frames in .357). A .22 pistol (Ruger Mk II/III 22/45, maybe?) or conversion kit would really be best to build up muscle memory and smoothness in the operation of the pistol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:40 pm 

The first handgun I bought, at age 14, was a Colt Commander in .45. Had to drag my mother with. Times they have a changed, and many a 1911 later, I still have it. So when my Son expressed an interest, I bought him a Kimber Custom Eclipse II for his birthday. Well, actually I bought two, because no way was he going to have one if I didn’t. To quote his friends, he just shoots better than them because his gun shoots straighter. Well ya, that’s the point. I wanted him to feel that success. Anyway, if you hold it right, a 1911 is exceptionally controllable and accurate. It costs a bit more to shoot unless you reload, but it makes big holes. In my opinion, the whole work your way up from a smaller caliber is a waste of recourses. No one ever listens, but chances are your going to end up with 1911 clone sometime in your life, so why wait. Spend that time and money practicing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:46 pm 

cdl wrote:
No one ever listens, but chances are your going to end up with 1911 clone sometime in your life, so why wait. Spend that time and money practicing.

A bit of a update. I have been researching and researching online and at two diff gun shops. Money wise, I had been looking at the Rock Island Armory 1911. Locally they can be had for $350.00. Peoples experiences(online) are very good. I had my mind all but made up, when I went to Bill's gun shop last week. The had a Springfield armory Stainless Steel mil spec. They have one for $485. A little bit more but the SS is beautiful.

I am also saving money for a another gun(I don't own one yet and already I talked myself into two.) The gun I like is the Sig Sauer Mosquito. But If I can find someone who has a 22 Cal conversion localy. That likes it and would reccomend it. I would rather just get that.

As far as the cost of ammo, yeah, when I first got my 1911 I lost 8 pounds in a couple of weeks 'cause I was spending all my beer money on ammo. Lately when I look in the mirror, I'm thinking I should do more shooting.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.