Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:21 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Small revolver recommendation 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:09 pm 

I'd suggest spending a few bucks trying out a lightweight .357 if that's what you're interested in getting. Bills North had a scandium one a few years back, a friend and I tried it out and it was so unpleasant that I'll never make the mistake (for me) of buying one. On the other hand my S&W 642 works just fine, and I'm happy with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:15 pm 
The Man

cryptical wrote:
I'd suggest spending a few bucks trying out a lightweight .357 if that's what you're interested in getting. Bills North had a scandium one a few years back, a friend and I tried it out and it was so unpleasant that I'll never make the mistake (for me) of buying one. On the other hand my S&W 642 works just fine, and I'm happy with it.
Gotta love the 642.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

I wasn't sure what I wanted in a snubbie so I bought (in this order)) a model 642,640 and my latest purchase was a 638. The 642 came with factory laser grips which are interchangable with the 638 but I have never tried them on the 640 so I can't say for sure. One plus is they all fit in the same holsters.
Being the newest,right at the moment I sure like the 638 bodyguard.

Post subject: Re: Small revolver recommendation
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:01 am 
Raving Moderate

Pat Cannon wrote:
Jeremiah wrote:
If stainless is a possibility, I'll put my .02 for a Ruger SP101. The one in my avatar (and my carry) is a 3" version with the exposed hammer, but the KSP-321XL model is a 2.25" barrel and "hammerless". Affordable, built like a bank vault- what's not to love?
That's exactly what I carry. It's 25 oz. which makes it maybe the heaviest 'J-frame-class' revolver out there, but that's not all bad if you're going to shoot .357 magnum ammo, as anybody who's shot magnum ammo out of a super-light alloy snubby will tell you! Even so, the first time I shot .357 through it, I went out and bought the cushy Hogue monogrip the next day.

How do you like the Clipdraw? I've always been curious how well that actually works out.

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

Jeremiah wrote:
How do you like the Clipdraw? I've always been curious how well that actually works out.
I like it a lot, use it every day. I tried one on a 1911 and didn't feel safe carrying 'cocked & locked'. On my SP101 I have the 'Universal' Clipdraw which screws into a mounting plate that is stuck to the frame. For Smiths & Wessons they have a model that screws right into the frame screw holes, which in theory is better, but it looks like the revolver sits higher. This might make it easier to grip, but I believe it was Joel who tried one, and said he thought it felt a little unstable. But heck, for twenty bucks if you don't like it it'll be the cheapest thing in your holster drawer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

Pat Cannon wrote:
Goalie & I had a mini-debate about thumb-cocking revolvers a few days ago. It was established that a hammerless revolver is best, i.e. that I was right and he was wrong. Well anyway that's the way I remember it. ;)
Oops, I see Goalie can't argue back at the moment -- didn't mean to kick you when you were down, Goalie. So everybody, don't take Goalie's lack of response for actual agreement. Presumably he will be back to straighten me out later. (I'm still right, though.)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:35 pm 
The Man

Pat Cannon wrote:
Jeremiah wrote:
I like it a lot, use it every day. I tried one on a 1911 and didn't feel safe carrying 'cocked & locked'. On my SP101 I have the 'Universal' Clipdraw which screws into a mounting plate that is stuck to the frame. For Smiths & Wessons they have a model that screws right into the frame screw holes, which in theory is better, but it looks like the revolver sits higher. This might make it easier to grip, but I believe it was Joel who tried one, and said he thought it felt a little unstable. But heck, for twenty bucks if you don't like it it'll be the cheapest thing in your holster drawer.
I did. It didn't sit right on my belt -- it was too high. On the other hand, I really do like the Barami Hipgrips for the snubbies -- my belt (and the pants) cover the trigger guard real, real well with it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:25 pm 

plblark wrote:
re: cabelas visa, I got the info here:
http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/vi ... hlight=252

Man, I was at Cabelas on saturday on my way to the New Thing and they didn't have squat for PD or light 357 revs. I was ready to buy right there. Oh well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:58 pm 

Can't say enough good things about the 642. In fact the 642 fan club is a large one. (do a search on THR). I'm a big fan of the stainless 640 .357MAG as well, but the .357 loads can still be a handfull. I find not as punishing as 38+p through a Scandium model.

In fact, upon purchasing my 642, a popular local saleman told me he'd rather crack a wrench across my knuckles than sell me an Airlite.

:lol: :lol:

I went with the 642 and have never had any regrets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

brauchma wrote:
... I like the thought of being able to pull the hammer if I need to and have time....

If you have the time, you might not be in “immediate” threat of death or great bodily harm. My $.02 :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:06 pm 
Longtime Regular

tepin wrote:
brauchma wrote:
... I like the thought of being able to pull the hammer if I need to and have time....

If you have the time, you might not be in “immediate” threat of death or great bodily harm. My $.02 :wink:

It could be that the threat is to another or cover / concealment is involved, etc... Options are nice unless by their nature they introduce possibilities for failure or complexity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:30 pm 

plblark wrote:
tepin wrote:
brauchma wrote:

It could be that the threat is to another or cover / concealment is involved, etc... Options are nice unless by their nature they introduce possibilities for failure or complexity.

I totally agree. BG could be behind my wife and I need a controlled shot(pull the hammer back and fire). Just one scenario... i guess. Another could be that I want to use the hammer at the range with my wife (with .38s of course ;) ). She hates looooonnnggg trigger pulls.

I am leaning towards 340pd so when the SHTF, i don't have to worry about covering the hammer with my thumb while drawing out of a pocket holster. I would just have to get used to the long trigger pull. probbaly wouldn't notice it if the SHTF though. ;) I am going to shoot someone1980's 340pd soon and see what I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:06 pm 

brauchma wrote:
I am going to shoot someone1980's 340pd soon and see what I think.

38 specials where extremely pleasant out of it. I wanted my wife to try it but it was cold and rainy today.

.357's out of it where...managable...but YOOOOWWWWW did they sting! I want one really, really bad now! Light, small, and extremely powerful!

Thanks a bunch someone1980 for letting me shoot it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:14 am 

Hard to beat this one. Super light to carry. Practice with 38's is a breeze. Shooting Reminton Golden Saber 125 Gr. is not bad but the heavy bullets do get your attention for sure.
S&W 360. I like the hammer myself but you can get them without it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:34 am 

cabelas has a 638 on sale for 359.99 right now.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.