Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:55 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 357 Bullet "pull" in a 340pd 
 Post subject: 357 Bullet "pull" in a 340pd
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:33 pm 

I just bought a Smith and Wesson 340pd on Thursday and I love it! I absolutely love it! I can thank someone1980 for letting me shoot his and igniting the already fuming flame for my desire to buy a 340pd. It is an unbelievable pocket carry gun!

I went out and picked up a box of Winchester 357mag 145 grain silvertips and went out shooting.
I shot 5 rounds right away and YOW!!! I love it though! I decided to shoot 5 more but I wanted to check the "pull" on the 5th round.
I didn't measure it at all, but it sure surprised me. Has anybody seen this before? It isn't even close enough to stopping the cylinder from rotating though.

It is one great gun! I hope you can see the "pull" in the picture. 38 specials shoot like a dream out of it. My wife shot the 38's and thought they hurt but it was cold out so her hands were dry and tender. She is glad I love the gun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:56 pm 

I think you're talking about the bullet being "pulled" out of the casing of the 5th round in the cylinder because of the first four rounds firing. (Technically, I guess it's the casing being pulled off of the bullet during recoil.) If I'm reading you wrong, my apologies. If we're talking about the same thing, check your owner's manual. My S&W revolver manual has warnings in it about this. I'm sure yours does too, especially because S&W has a manual that covers a bunch of revolvers instead of specific manuals for each model. You might want to post some questions over at Smith and Wesson forum about which ammo might be less prone to doing this. If I were experiencing it, I don't think my basis for determining the situation is a safe one would be whether the "pulled" round is causing the cylinder to bind. I'd find different ammo.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

As long as you're over the 120 grain bullet weight you should be fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:53 am 

onebohemian wrote:
I think you're talking about the bullet being "pulled" out of the casing of the 5th round in the cylinder because of the first four rounds firing. (Technically, I guess it's the casing being pulled off of the bullet during recoil.) If I'm reading you wrong, my apologies. If we're talking about the same thing, check your owner's manual.

That is exactly what I was talking about. I am over the 120 grain minimum. I could see if the revolver was a 6 or 7 shot and being worried. I plan on looking around for better ammo that will do this less for sure.

squib_joe wrote:
As long as you're over the 120 grain bullet weight you should be fine.

That was what I was thinking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:29 pm 
Designated waste of protoplasm

Ummmmm - I am a little concerned with those little buggers pulling bullets at the wrong time and you having a huge problem that you cannot readliy solve.

Here is what I might do with carry ammunuition - re-crimp it using a very tight roll crimp - or a Lee factory Crimp die - snug em down tight.

Just a thought... That looks like a problem waiting to happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:34 pm 
1911 tainted

I thought that this was a known, although I do not know how common, of a problem with the small, light weight 5 shot revolvers.

I did think that the problem was more common with the heavier bullet weights than the lighter ones, but I am probably wrong on that.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:14 pm 

cobb wrote:
...I did think that the problem was more common with the heavier bullet weights than the lighter ones, but I am probably wrong on that.

I will try some lighter ones next and let you know. I would think that heavier bullets would stay put causing the "pull" to occur. A lighter bullet would maybe not stay put and travel with the gun's motion and not "pull" out.

Interesting anyways...

I need to find some good ammo!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:45 am 

357 Hydra-Shoks seem to stay put, but I’ve never managed to shoot more than three rounds of it at a time in a 340PD. So I’m truly impressed. A twenty round box lasts me a long time. Sweet gun to carry though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:21 am 

cdl wrote:
357 Hydra-Shoks seem to stay put, but I’ve never managed to shoot more than three rounds of it at a time in a 340PD. So I’m truly impressed. A twenty round box lasts me a long time. Sweet gun to carry though.

Awesome carry gun!!!!! If it wasn't so cold, I would shoot some more .357's out of it. Do you carry .357's in yours? I will pick up some Hydra-Shocks and try them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:16 am 

brauchma wrote:
cdl wrote:

Awesome carry gun!!!!! If it wasn't so cold, I would shoot some more .357's out of it. Do you carry .357's in yours? I will pick up some Hydra-Shocks and try them.

A pistol being a marginal stopper and all, I stuff 357s in, knowing I have about 60 seconds of adrenaline rush before I melt into a trembling blob. After that it’s probably a disadvantage. Really, ya only carry a light, little gun like that because the situation doesn’t allow you to carry something bigger and heaver. Well, that and because it’s so easy to carry it’s hard to think of a reason not too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:47 am 

cdl wrote:
brauchma wrote:
cdl wrote:

A pistol being a marginal stopper and all, I stuff 357s in, knowing I have about 60 seconds of adrenaline rush before I melt into a trembling blob. After that it’s probably a disadvantage. Really, ya only carry a light, little gun like that because the situation doesn’t allow you to carry something bigger and heaver. Well, that and because it’s so easy to carry it’s hard to think of a reason not too.

Yeah, now I carry two guns all time. so do you think 357's are marginal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:11 pm 
Journeyman Member

Compared to artillery or freeze dried ninjas-in-a-can, yes, .357mag is marginal.

But as they say, the best gun is the gun you have with you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:56 pm 
Forum Moderator

brauchma wrote:
I will try some lighter ones next and let you know. I would think that heavier bullets would stay put causing the "pull" to occur. A lighter bullet would maybe not stay put and travel with the gun's motion and not "pull" out.

I think it has less to do with bullet mass than friction. Heavier bullets have a larger bearing surface and thus would have more friction against the case walls. Lighter bullets tend to be shorter and have less bearing surface and less case wall friction.

So for equal crimps, I'd expect lighter bullets to back out more easily than heavier bullets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:29 am 

Here's a picture of some 125 Grain Remington .357 soft points shot out of my S&W 360. Man these things seem to kick more than the 158 Grainers.
After 10 rounds I had skin ripped off the thumb joint.
Notice the pull. Is this excessive? I don't know but I'll be watching it.
So far the most comfortable round to shoot is the Remington Golden Saber but that's some high priced pratice suff. Wish I could find a dummied down 125/158 grain .357 for cheap. 38's are like shooting a pop gun though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:58 am 
Longtime Regular

If the pull doesn't get any greater than your picture it's probably OK. The problem is when the bullets back out far enough to tie up the cylinder. I would also expect the velocity to be a little less in those cartridges with the bullet sticking out more than normal.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.