Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:10 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 J-frame loading block 
 Post subject: J-frame loading block
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

Has anyone seen a loading block for j-frame speedloaders? I see them around for L and N frame's, but not for j-frames.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: J-frame loading block
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:05 am 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:
Has anyone seen a loading block for j-frame speedloaders? I see them around for L and N frame's, but not for j-frames.

those are cool but I have not seen any around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:14 am 

I have never heard of such a thing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:34 am 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:

The need for a loading block is generally for PPC competition, and manufacturers produced blocks for mostly K & L frames and Ruger S/Six, GP100 as they were the most popular, I think you are going to be making your own. :( :( :(

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:08 am 
Longtime Regular

Selurcspi wrote:
I think you are going to be making your own. :( :( :(

So do I, but I thought I'd ask first. I have a friend with a CNC machine. I need to lay my hands on some delrin or something and see if we can pull it off. I was thinking a block that would hold 50 rounds (one box) would increase my range efficiency considerably.

Again - PPC proves it's really divorced itself from the "practical". In my not-so humble opinion a J-frame is *far* more practical for carry than a an L-frame. I suppose the proliferation of shall-issue carry laws has come after most of these competitions, so they have an excuse. I'm really starting to take a liking to the Glock and SIG sponsored practical leagues - stock guns only.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:11 am 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:
Selurcspi wrote:

So do I, but I thought I'd ask first. I have a friend with a CNC machine. I need to lay my hands on some delrin or something and see if we can pull it off. I was thinking a block that would hold 50 rounds (one box) would increase my range efficiency considerably.

How about a block of wood, a drill press, and some patience? That should do the trick :-)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:20 am 
Longtime Regular

plblark wrote:
How about a block of wood, a drill press, and some patience? That should do the trick :-)

There's not much room for error there, and fifty chances to screw it up.

The idea behind the loading block is to be able to put a box of cartridges in it nose-down, then, as you empty your speedloaders, be able to put your speedloader on top of the rounds, click it, and it's loaded. Rather than fumbling around loading each speedloader one at a time.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:24 am 
Longtime Regular

plblark wrote:

DeanC wrote:
There's not much room for error there, and fifty chances to screw it up.

you're right. 50 chances to screw it up might make me hesitant. The other option is to carefully make a jig with a pin / pins for a single 5-round setup. Then position the block for each of the 10 iterations. I was just thinking out loud on the way to do it with the materials I'm likely to have acvailable.

DeanC wrote:
The idea behind the loading block is to be able to put a box of cartridges in it nose-down, then, as you empty your speedloaders, be able to put your speedloader on top of the rounds, click it, and it's loaded. Rather than fumbling around loading each speedloader one at a time.

I saw its use immediately and it looks REALLY cool.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:28 am 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:
Selurcspi wrote:

Again - PPC proves it's really divorced itself from the "practical". In my not-so humble opinion a J-frame is *far* more practical for carry than a an L-frame. I suppose the proliferation of shall-issue carry laws has come after most of these competitions, so they have an excuse. I'm really starting to take a liking to the Glock and SIG sponsored practical leagues - stock guns only.

PPC has never claimed to Practical, it stands for Police Pistol Combat and was supposed to be a training aid for LEOs. It has become three stylized competitions which are still supposed to be for serving officers. There are now exceptions for non LEO types, but comps are hard to find unless you have a contact in the community.
I personally love the 1500, but it is not even remotely practical shooting at 25 & 50 yds.

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:00 am 
Longtime Regular

Selurcspi wrote:
PPC has never claimed to Practical, it stands for Police Pistol Combat

I thought it meant Practical Pistol Competition. My mistake. Certainly, K & L frame revolvers would fit the Police Pistol Combat role.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:35 am 
Longtime Regular

I've seen someone use a plastic loading block for a J-frame at Bill's. I asked him about it. He made it with a drill press and patience. He got it right on the third try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:04 am 
Longtime Regular

I suppose you could make a jig out of a plastic sheet and after you drilled each hole, drop an empty case in to make sure you didn't shift it too much.

I like the CNC idea though. Takes the human factor out and you can make more than one down the road.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:17 pm 
Longtime Regular

hmmm... load the speedloader with empty cases, coat the front of each case with lipstick or wet nail polish or something, press it on the plastic, make the jig...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:57 pm 
Longtime Regular

plblark wrote:
hmmm... load the speedloader with empty cases, coat the front of each case with lipstick or wet nail polish or something, press it on the plastic, make the jig...

That is way too smart!

But why do that when you can spend a couple grand and get a computer-controlled wood carver.? This is one of those things I really want, I just don't know exactly what for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:59 pm 
Longtime Regular

Pat Cannon wrote:
plblark wrote:

That is way too smart!

But why do that when you can spend a couple grand and get a computer-controlled wood carver.? This is one of those things I really want, I just don't know exactly what for.

while we're on the topic of expensive tools others might call toys and wonder whatever we could need them for ... one of those would be cool too.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.