Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:09 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 You decide. P32 or P3AT? 

Should I get a P32 or P3AT?
P32  7%  7%  [ 3 ]
P3AT  93%  93%  [ 39 ]
Total votes : 42

You decide. P32 or P3AT? 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:03 am 

Bought the P3AT just a couple weeks ago and like it very much. I was carrying a KAHR P9 - OK for winter when I was wearing a sweater or sweatshirt to "hide" it, but thinking towards summer, I went looking for something that would go in a pocket. This is perfect (even in jeans that are a little snug). Waiting to get an extended magazine for a little better grip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:14 am 
Longtime Regular

Welcome MsT. You are officially "on the board"!

I bought my P3AT almost a year ago. It fits in my back jeans pocket, some front shirt pockets, etc. I love it. Took some time to get where I could shoot it even somewhat accurately, but a few hundred rounds later, no problem.

The best thing is I ALWAYS have it on me (where legal to do so), while my .357 revolver just wasn't always practical.

"Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ unknown

Never been tazered. (yet).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:28 am 

Thank you ! I've been reading a lot - it's sort of addictive - I was just a little timid about taking that first step to see myself in print.

I know someone who has a lanyard holster for his P3AT -- hangs it around his neck ... doesn't quite work for me ...

Someone said they did a "rampectomy" on theirs. A friend polished the ramp for me, and also did a little "turning" on the pin to make it easier to take apart for cleaning. I really like the size.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:22 pm 
Delicate Flower

Well it's about time young lady!
Welcome to "not a lurker any more" status.
Just beware of the grunts :P

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:33 pm 

DDB_99 wrote:
the_interpreter wrote:
p.s.
and i would love to meet at bill's when one of these weapons is being shot.

I might be at Bill's South late this afternoon with mine. I'll see how the weather shakes out and post later today in this thread.

I should be at Bill's sometime between 1600-1620 this afternoon (don't know how long I'm staying) if anyone wants to have a go. If you have .380, bring it since my supply is short. I'll be shooting primarily 9mm today but the Kel-Tec will be available.

I'll be the guy with three-days growth and a beat-up Addidas hat that sometime in the past may have been blue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:09 am 

Greetings, everyone:

I'm a rookie and appreciate all I've learned from you so far! :P

I've had a P32 for several months and love the thing--not one malfunction whatsoever--yet probably should have gotten the more powerful and equally reliable 3AT. Like Aquaholic, my .357 snubby can be a load at times.

Today I got an Armalaser for the P32 in the mail and am going to sight it in tomorrow afternoon at the Burnsville Pistol Range. They've upgraded these things a lot, now being adjustable for elevation as well as windage. Installation was simple and in the box I discovered the new addition of regular phillips screws with little lock washers, which should solve the assembly problems of the easily stripped allen heads as well as the device loosening up and losing alignment after a range trip. Of course I haven't tested it yet . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:06 am 
Longtime Regular

Welcome to the forum Eagun.

I to have a P32 that was the "gun" that I purchased when I picked up my carry permit to be with me always. I can shoot the P32 great for such a small gun and I like the slide lock back.

Let us know how the laser works. :D

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

This is just my opinion and how I feel about carrying a gun, naturally everyone is free to do what they feel is best for their own situation.

I know I may carry for the rest of my life and never need a gun. It's an insurance against something that might happen much like homeowners or auto insurance. However, if I ever do need my "insurance" I want good coverage, not minimum coverage. The smallest gun I ever carry is a .357 snub but it's usually something bigger.

If I ever need to defend myself it might be against a 250 pound drug addict so high he can barely feel pain. Is that when I draw my mighty .32 or .380 and defend myself? It might work and stop him in his tracks if I can hit him in just the right spot. No thanks, I'll put up with the harder to carry gun just in case I really need one. You just have to get used to it and after a while it feels normal.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:29 pm 
Journeyman Member

I go round and round on this same question since I am thinking about one of these also. The P32 is a nice little gun, but lacking in the punch department, however, as Srigs pointed out, you can get a 10 round mag for the P32. The P3AT tops out at 7 with the 1 round extension. I like mouse guns, but still may go with the 3AT and its larger round. On the other hand, it comes down to what you can control the best, and what you will carry anywhere in the summer months. I voted for the 3AT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:09 pm 

I'm ambivalent about the power of a .32 too. Partly I'm just amazed that eight rounds fit in this feathery Kel-Tec and it fits in my pocket so unobtrusively. Yet I feel much more adequately armed carrying a Taurus 650 CIA snubnose revolver.

I bought the Armalaser for the P32 partly to increase the effectiveness odds with such a small caliber and partly because I just like buying crap like that. :) The range test today was so-so. I couldn't sight it in as effectively as the Crimson Trace grips I got for the .357, which consistently put a small five-round cluster through a paper target. I was gobsmaked. By contrast, I checked the mounting screws of the Armalaser, which loosened during shooting despite the "new and improved" screws and lock washers. Disappointing.

In retrospect, I wish I would have used the money spent for the above items on an S&W 340 AirLite .357. Best of both worlds for my preferences.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:04 pm 

UPDATE:

I went with the poll results and bought the P3AT. I would have picked one up sooner, but they are hard to find at a fair price. Most of them were not the color I was looking for or they did not have the hard chrome slide. I did find a dealer who told me he could get me a black with hard chrome, but he wanted $360.00. :shock: I passed.

After a lot of looking I found a Navy Blue with HC for $271. So I jumped on it. Maybe not a steal but it was what I was willing to pay. Capitalism. Don't ya love it.

Once I got it home I took it apart to give it a good inspection. I was pleasantly surprised. Not only did it look good on the outside, but the inside was in nice shape as well. There is no pitting in the barrell and I did not find any debris left over from the machining. I half expected something based upon what I have read on Ktog.org.

I cleaned it with some Hoppes, baked it with some Militec-1, greased it and polished the feed ramp. Took it to BPR and ran 50 rounds of WWB, 50 Amercian Eagle and 10 Speer Gold Dot through it without a problem. Of course 110 rounds does not mean solid reliable, but its off to a great start.

I shot from 7, 10 and 15 feet. The first 2 mags were a little shakey but once I got used to it accuracy was very good.

The recoil is not as bad as I've heard. If you've shot a .38 snub nose this will be no problem for you.

I can get about a finger and a half on the grip as compared to my .38 where I can get almost two fingers on. Im sure the +1 grip extension would help.

The trigger is DA only. My (fat) finger did get a little sore at the end. Since this isn't a range gun I'm not concerned with it.

The sights really aren't much. Just a notch for the rear and little bump in the front. They did the job though. For what this gun is intended for I would say they are more than adequate.

Concelability is where this baby shines. I picked up a Desantis Nemisis pocket holster and I don't even notice it's in my pocket after a bit.

All in all at this early stage I am very, very happy with the P3AT and would recommend it.

If anyone is considering one of these let me know. I usually go to Burnsville Pistol and would be happy to let you give it a try.

Thanks for all the input.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:42 pm 
Longtime Regular

Congrats on the new piece,I passed my ccw shoot with my Colt Mustang +2 which is also a 380. I have since bought a dozen handguns in most every caliber,but if I'm walking the dog in the burbs in shorts and a tee shirt this is still the gun I'll be carrying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:04 am 
Raving Moderate

I finally found a used P3AT (2nd gen.) a few weeks ago, and I love it. It's not my first choice for a defensive firearm (I'm partial to my .357), but like MNBud said, it's great for those "shorts and a T shirt days".

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

A P3AT is going to be my next gun purchase. Any comments or recommendations on blued vs. parkerized vs. hard chromed finish? Since it's a pretty inexpensive firearm, I'm thinking of just going with the blued finish and if it wears out to the point of being unusable, which I think is unlikely, I can always buy a new one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:06 am 
Raving Moderate

Or just refinish the slide as needed- my uncle's done his 2 or 3 times, and he carries the thing everywhere.

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.