Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:02 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 4" 1911 Preference 

Which 4" 1911 Preference
Colt Commander XSE  4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Kimber Pro Raptor  8%  8%  [ 2 ]
Kimber Pro Eclipse  4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Kimber Pro Carry  27%  27%  [ 7 ]
Springfield Loaded Champion  50%  50%  [ 13 ]
Dan Wesson CBOB  8%  8%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 26

4" 1911 Preference 
 Post subject: 4" 1911 Preference
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:18 am 

There are so many choices; which would you prefer for occasional carry and frequent range shooting?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:15 pm 
1911 tainted

I carry a Kimber PRO CDP, 4" slide with an alloy frame, for me it is hard to beat.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:13 pm 
Longtime Regular

I voted for the loaded champion because my Springfield micro compact wasn't listed. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:26 pm 

I'm not sure since I don't own a 1911 yet. I would like to get a Kimber CDP II eventually probably the compact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

cobb wrote:
I carry a Kimber PRO CDP, 4" slide with an alloy frame, for me it is hard to beat.

I carry this one as well, I just ordered a Pro Raptor (hopefully here next week :D ) for range and IDPA use so I don't use up the alloy frame on my CDP.

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-Unknown

Honorably Discharged member of Uncle Sam's Underwater Canoe Club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:38 pm 
On time out

I did not vote, I would argue that finding a better deal is a Colt series 70 or pre 70. Far better hand fitting and with just a minor bit of work, they are perfect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

Kimber Compact Custom for Mon. Tues., Wed., and Thur.
Colt Goldcup (80-5") for Fridays, weekends, and holidays.......... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:14 am 
1911 tainted

1911fan wrote:
I did not vote, I would argue that finding a better deal is a Colt series 70 or pre 70. Far better hand fitting and with just a minor bit of work, they are perfect.

You must be finding different Colts than I do. Especially the forming of the trigger guard, looks like they have been done by a drunken sailor with a 4" grinder. :wink:

I truly think Colt makes a fine pistol, but every time I hear how great the series 70's are, I wonder where I am missing it. I don't think that early Colts are any better than most others out there today.

Last edited by cobb on Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:45 am 
Delicate Flower

Quote:
Especially the forming of the trigger guard, looks like they have been done by a drunken sailor with a 4" grinder. Wink

Hey...........we use 7'' grinders :lol: 8)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: What about
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:26 am 

Man that is a short list and so many good 1911's not on it. What abuot a Para, STI or Ed Brown or others. A Kimber guy must put that list together. Of what is up there, I'd take the springer but in reality I'd go with a Brown if given the choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:43 am 

I would choose a Para-ordinance.

Or, for strictly a range gun; a Les Baer, Rock River, or Clark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:16 am 

I chose the Kimber Pro Carry since that's what *I* have (alloy frame).

It's my only 1911 but, since I'm a single-action auto guy, I also have a couple of BHPs. One of them is my 'car' gun but when I slip on a holster, the Kimber goes in it.

I think my next 1911 will be a 5" Springfield Mil-spec in all steel.

jb

John Farnam (I believe)

Post subject: Re: What about
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:38 pm 

mmcnx2 wrote:
Man that is a short list and so many good 1911's not on it. What abuot a Para, STI or Ed Brown or others. A Kimber guy must put that list together. Of what is up there, I'd take the springer but in reality I'd go with a Brown if given the choice.

You're right, it is a short list. I am looking for the preference of 4" 1911's from those I've narrowed MY SHORT LIST down to. The Para's, Ed Brown's, STI's and others didn't make my short list. I've developed my poll down to the 4" (or 4.25") 1911's and I'm narrowing that down to the one I'll buy. I currently own 1 Kimber and 1 Springfield and am not loyal to any particular manufacturer but do respect others' opinions and preferences. Hope that clears the air a little. And I do have a monetary budget.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:00 pm 
1911 tainted

But even in the 4", there is a big difference in weight when carrying. Truth be known, the Champion was of the best balanced of the 45's for me, a lot better than a Commander, and the Kimber that I carry now was a close second in that department.

But day in and day out carry, my pre series II Kimber PRO CDP has a definite weight advantage for me, plus it out shot my Champion by a smidgen. Both met the first requirement, 100% reliable after several hundred rounds of carry ammo, so now it is down to personal pro's and con's.

So what works best for me is an alloy frame because of the noticeable weight difference. But if someone feels better with a full steel framed 1911, by all means, please carry it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:45 am 
Designated waste of protoplasm

The nicest - best made 1911 that I have ever shot is the Ed Brown Cobra Carry - absolutely the most beautiful piece that I have ever seen.

Shooting it is a joy but here is the kicker - the price tag is a little out of reach for most.

The Springfield Champion seems to be the best of the bunch for value - all of the features that it comes with - nice gun for the $$$$.

I offer this - most 1911's - no matter the price will shoot better than most of us can take advantage of anyhow. For my $$$ it would be a Springfield - or even .... gulp ..... the new Taurus... (yeah I said it)

The Springfield Champion is a good shooter wihtout a doubt but at 21ft I challenge you to tell me the difference between a Springfield Champion for $600 over a much more expensive model.

Given teh choices - the Springfield seems to be the most logical chioce.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.