Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:36 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 New pistol; KEL-TEC PLR-16 
 Post subject: New pistol; KEL-TEC PLR-16
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:00 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

http://www.kel-tec.com/plr16pr.htm

MSRP $640

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:35 pm 

Will you be carrying one IWB or in a pocket holster? :lol:

Steelheart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:04 pm 
Forum Moderator

Steelheart wrote:
Will you be carrying one IWB or in a pocket holster? :lol:

Steelheart

I think ankle holster would work best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:57 pm 
Longtime Regular

Definitely calls for a trenchcoat as a cover garment.

How would a the recoil from a .223 shot from a 3-pound plastic gun feel on one hand? :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:45 pm 

Andrew Rothman wrote:

How would a the recoil from a .223 shot from a 3-pound plastic gun feel on one hand? :o

probably not too bad. One of the guys from the Pink Pistols, Mark, has an AK-pistol variant that was rather easy for me to shoot one-handed. A .223 is a pussycat compared to that.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

I bought an ADM65 kit with the original though of building it as a pistol, however I have re-thought it & want to finish it as a SBR. . . . That Kel-Tec is really sweet. Those folks may have to get some of my money too as I am still hankering for a rifle caliber pistol. When the SU16 first came out, I thought, "hhhmmm, looks like it would make a wicked cool pistol" KelTec should get props for actually marketing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:40 pm 
Forum Moderator

Macx wrote:
I bought an ADM65 kit with the original though of building it as a pistol, however I have re-thought it & want to finish it as a SBR. . . . That Kel-Tec is really sweet. Those folks may have to get some of my money too as I am still hankering for a rifle caliber pistol. When the SU16 first came out, I thought, "hhhmmm, looks like it would make a wicked cool pistol" KelTec should get props for actually marketing it.

How about a Thompson/Center Encore in .308 Winchester? Makes my hand hurt just thinking about pulling the trigger, and I think 200 rounds of 10mm through a Glock 29 is just getting started.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

The Thompson/ Encore is on my hit list of guns I intend to have in the collection. It is however, further down on the list. Above it, are two Rugers, a MKIII 5.5" bull . . . probably .22/45 rather than the more Luger-esque grip and a 10/22. Also on the list is a rifle caliber pistol in semi-auto, had been thinking about one of those Bushmasters, or yet another AK maybe built as a Krinkov pistol rather than ADM65, but this post adds another possibility. I need to get around to buying a decent 12ga, probably a Saiga 12 when they come available again. This is about where I expect to place the Thompson in the plan to buy list, after it, a revolver probably a lightweight .357 of some type, and then a bolt gun of nice accuracy and probably .308, another Makarov . . probably East German, maybe another Bulgie.

Yup, the Contender is about mid-pack in my 10 year buying plan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:57 am 
The Man

goalie wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:

probably not too bad. One of the guys from the Pink Pistols, Mark, has an AK-pistol variant that was rather easy for me to shoot one-handed. A .223 is a pussycat compared to that.
Yup. Mark's AK pistol makes a lot of noise, but the recoil isn't unpleasant. And .223 isn't exactly a hard-kicking round.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

This looks like a lot of fun, and it's much cheaper than the Bushmaster pistol.

The .223 pistols don't have much recoil, but the short barrel and muzzle brake makes it loud

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:36 pm 

Has anyone seen one of these in any of the local toystores?

I havnt bought anything inawhile and these look interesting.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:15 pm 

They are slightly harder to find, they pop up in glocktalk firearms listings from time to time. The gunshop in willmar has them from time to time(he trys to get them in whenever he can)

Jon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:14 am 
Journeyman Member

I've owned one for about 9 months. It is great fun but you definitely need hearing protection. In fact I think if you shot it without protection you'd experience hearing loss. Recoil is a non-issue. I have mine outfitted with a cheapy red dot sight, the forearm cover, and a flash hider, and the available factory sling. Incidentally if you don't use a flash hider you will have muzzle flash the size of a basketball. It has been 100% reliable through about 600 rounds and will use any AR15 magazine. Accuracy is very good and while not as good as the full size AR's (beats out all normally aspirated handguns) it still rivals them at least out to 100 yds (haven't shot at any further distance). It can be fired with one hand but is better suited to two handed operation-the forearm cover really helps with this. With the sling you can shoot from a semi shoulder position (most accurate) even though it doesn't have a shoulder stock using the sights but I think a laser mount (I don't currently have) would be alot of fun for off hand waist level shooting. Negatives? Not many except the aforementioned noise, flash-and takedown. Disassembly is not what I consider easy but time and repetition breed familiarity. A laptop computer case (or the optional factory softsided case with an interior dual mag holder that accomodates AR mags) is a very good way to motivate through public with obscurity and serves to make it a very good weapon to have available in a car (or motorcycle saddlebag). On a scale of 1-10 it is a 10 on the fun quotient and will get noticed on the range (the noise first then the styling makes people curious). Hope this helps...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

Thanks for the update/ review. Please keep us posted as you spend more time with it. Looks like it still lives on my wishlist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:57 am 
Journeyman Member

Macx wrote:
Thanks for the update/ review. Please keep us posted as you spend more time with it. Looks like it still lives on my wishlist.

You're welcome...
To re-clarify one of the negative points (disassembly), I should've said that disassembly, cleaning and reassembly could be considered problematic until you do it a few times-particularly the reassembly. Sorry for the miscue... This is a fun, perfectly functioning firearm that could be used for defensive purposes (but you WILL have hearing loss without protection) given the right scenario.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.