Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:47 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Why? 
 Post subject: Why?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:48 am 

Why would anyone want one of these .454 Alaskans? Well as that exersise guy on TV says. Why buy new when slightly used will do, except when the deals are this good.
Anyway I gots me one and now I'm afraid to shoot it!!!!
What can I expect?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:53 am 
Longtime Regular

A very BIG BOOM or two!

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:08 am 

Damn. Nice gun!! Is it for CCW?

"Undoubtedly some think the Second Amendment is outmoded in a society where our standing army is the pride of our Nation, where well-trained police forces provide personal security, and where gun violence is a serious problem. That is perhaps debatable, but what is not debatable is that it is not the role of this Court to pronounce the Second Amendment extinct."--Justice Scalia

Post subject: Re: Why?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:40 am 
1911 tainted

8)

Last edited by cobb on Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:43 am 
Longtime Regular

Wow! That is a nice piece of hardware.
Thanks again for the great deal on the holster. I'll keep my ears open for anyone looking for a great deal on a Galco holster for a j frame.

Post subject: Re: Why?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:44 am 
1911 tainted

oscarswanson wrote:
What can I expect?

I have heard the horror stories on the recoil of these things. Contact me off line and I will do my best to help you out on taking steps to alleviate this problem. I would offer you a price on it now but the forum master doesn't allow the sale of firearms over this forum. 8)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Handload!!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:53 am 

Buy some new 454 brass, load up some hot 45 LONG COLT loads, shoot them in the gun, and work up boxes of ammo a grain or two at a time. That's the way I worked into my S&W 500, and I started with 50 DE equivalent loads and have worked my way up to 1700+ FPS loads with 325 grain bullets. As long as you progress gradually, recoil won't be a problem. If you just shoot the 300 grain hot 454's to begin with, THEN you develop a bad flinch and cobb would wind up with ANOTHER gun, and he's saving up for a 50 GI anyway....

Post subject: Re: Handload!!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:58 am 
1911 tainted

Seismic Sam wrote:
THEN you develop a bad flinch and cobb would wind up with ANOTHER gun, and he's saving up for a 50 GI anyway....

Still thinking about the 50 GI, but my Freedom Arms .475 Linebaugh has been keeping me smiling. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

cobb wrote:
Still thinking about the 50 GI...

I thought you might get the 50GI for IDPA. I was picturing you on your hands & knees in the mud looking for brass. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:36 pm 
Longtime Regular

aypstony wrote:
Damn. Nice gun!! Is it for CCW?

Yep............there's been a gang of wild bear mugging and terrorizing suburbanites recently. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Very nice addition to the hoard.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:13 pm 
1911 tainted

Pat Cannon wrote:
I thought you might get the 50GI for IDPA. I was picturing you on your hands & knees in the mud looking for brass. :)

Now wouldn't that be the truth. That is one of the reasons that I am still looking, the cost of the brass that is getting thrown randomly from the gun is something that would bug me. I have a .38 super and 10mm that I don't shoot that much either because of the brass cost, so I shoot my 9mm and 45 acp and it isn't an issue. Now with a .454 Alaskan or the .475 Linebaugh the brass stays put in a revolver and not an issue. I know, a stupid quirk thing about the brass, I just hate to waste that precious metal and really ironic for one to spend that much on a pistol and worry about 10 cent brass. :roll:
I am still looking for a 50 GI and had contact a seller a few time on Guns America that had one for sale with just a few rounds through it, but could not get a response if it was still for sale or sold.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:29 am 
Longtime Regular

MNBud wrote:
Thanks again for the great deal on the holster. I'll keep my ears open for anyone looking for a great deal on a Galco holster for a j frame.

*** ears perk up ***

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:10 am 

Well, I went to the farm yesterday to shoot this thing. I loaded it up with a couple Colt .45's and one .454 behind them.
The Colts shot like a .22. The .454 made something in my wrist snap so I stopped. The wrist is fine today so I'll be shootin some more soon.
Unfortunately? The farm is owned by the person I bought this pistol from. He just happened to have a couple of Kimber CDP's. One 3" & one 3-1/2 or 4". He made me a deal I could not refuse. I got the 3" like new for $600.00. It shoots and looks great. My 1st 1911 type. It took a while to figure out how to take in down for a good cleaning.
Now Oscars in the poor house for a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:13 am 

The ammo I shot was Honady 240 Grain at 1900 FPS. I'm sure they are slower out of a short barrel like this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:21 am 
Longtime Regular

plblark wrote:
MNBud wrote:

*** ears perk up ***

I got a great deal from Oscarswanson on a Galco paddle holster for a 9mm Glock.He mentioned to me at the time he has a holster like it for a j frame he is looking to sell. I already have that holster that will fit my j frame Smith's. You can contact him for further info.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.