Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:47 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Speed strips 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:52 pm 
1911 tainted

plblark wrote:
cobb wrote:
plblark wrote:

Sorry for the terse reply earlier. It just gets me riled a bit when I read such absolutes and condemnation of something just because it doesn't work for someone. Sure, there might be reasons why it's not the best option. There are probably other reasons which counter that or make it the best of all evils option.

Kinda like the laser grip debate on a carry weapon, just another thing to handcap a person and go wrong. :wink:

yep. They're so bad that of the 5 guys in a carry class shooting from retention at a target 3-5' away in slow fire, medium paced, and fast as you can pull the trigger mode, the guy with the tightest group was shooting a Taurus 85 with laser that he borrowed and had never fired before.

Obviously a handicap right there.

I'm glad you understand the debate thing. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Thank you, Dave!!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:39 pm 

"In any case, I doubt that anybody short of Jerry Miculek can reload a revolver from any kind of speed loader at a speed likely to save your life if a bad guy is coming at you. "

That was EXACTLY the point I was trying to make. If you have to reload at all in a crisis situation, chances are you won't have the time.

If you're at the range, what's the point of putting the ammo IN the speed strip FIRST, and then loading the cylinder two rounds at a time at a leisurely pace, when you could probably do it in the same time or less from the ammo box to the gun WITHOUT the speed strip?? I'm still not sure I see the convenience feature.

The part that I was worried about was the assumption that this discussion DID apply to a life or death emergency situation, and that somebody might take it that way and go out and buy some with the assumption that they WOULD be usable in a split second situation. THAT assumption could get somebody killed. Part of my background at work is to serve on US and International Medical Standards commitees, and you have to look at EVERY last way a statement could be misintrepreted by an uninformed user that could bring them harm. It sounds pretty harmless, until you actually start getting medical devices back with charred human flesh on them that isn't supposed to be there. Then it's WAAAYYY too late to say "Uh, that isn't the way you were supposed to interpret that statement."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:42 pm 
Longtime Regular

Sigh. There are reloads between "leisurely" and "too late."

You get jumped in a parking lot. You shoot. Your cylinder is empty.

Feel good about that? Maybe want to reload in case more trouble comes in the form of Mongo's buddies in the few-to-thirty minutes before the cops arrive?

Everything about carry is compromise. Speed strips neatly carry a reload flat in a pocket, and load relatively easily.

Given that both a speed loader and speed strips too slow for "instant," and that speed loaders are bulky and hard to conceal, don't you think it's better to have a speed strip in your pocket than a speed loader at home?

Remember, everyone -- the fastest reload is a "New York Reload" -- a second gun. So...

To put it another way... wrote:
If you're planning to risk your life on how well you can use a speedloader in a crisis situation where you need to reload, and there are other options where you can have another loaded gun in your hand in a flash?? I don't think so...

:D :D

Everything about carry is compromise. Convenience, price, wardrobe, weight, social issues. Hell, if it weren't, we' could just all carry 870s, right?

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OM1hJ_mA2nA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OM1hJ_mA2nA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:03 am 
Longtime Regular

Andrew I am disapointed. You do not carry an 870?
[img]<object%20width="425"%20height="350"><param%20name="movie"%20value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cQatU67Ue3g"></param><param%20name="wmode"%20value="transparent"></param><embed%20src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cQatU67Ue3g"%20type="application/x-shockwave-flash"%20wmode="transparent"%20width="425"%20height="350"></embed></object>[/img]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:11 am 
Longtime Regular

Now, that guy is prepared, but his draw technique sucks........ :P :P :P

Post subject: Thank you, Chanhassen homey...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:05 pm 

"Given that both a speed loader and speed strips are too slow for "instant," and that speed loaders are bulky and hard to conceal, don't you think it's better to have a speed strip in your pocket than a speed loader at home? "

Given that choice as a civilian, the speed strip may have some merits. For cops with a duty belt who have to deal with an armed perp even if he gets shot and runs away, the speed loader is still better. The real question to be asked is whether it's better to have 5 or 6 rounds in a cylinder and have the mindset that that is what you will live or die with, or have the somewhat more ambiguous mindset that if a full cylinder isn't enough, you can reload, maybe, given some time. The second mindset allows one to essentially escape from the reality of "if I blow these 5 or 6 shots I'm EFFEN dead", and I'm not sure that's a good thing. Deluding yourself into the possibility of a second chance with reloads in the incredibly unlikely circumstance that 5 or 6 shots is NOT enough COULD be robbing you of a stronger desire to make damn sure the first 6 shots ALL hit the target. If you have ten bucks to live on until next weekend, it simply isn't the same as having 10 bucks and another 10 in a checking account. What goes on inside your head is distinctly different in those two situations.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.