Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:36 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Speed strips 
 Post subject: Speed strips
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:59 pm 
Longtime Regular

1. How quick are they to load?

2. Where can I find them?

3. What are the drawbacks?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:02 pm 

Is that a wheel gun thing?

Am just asking to learn (am strictly a belt fed man, myself)...

Post subject: Re: Speed strips
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

Tick Slayer wrote:

Reasonably slow, if you need speed go for a speedloader, I look at the speed strips as a way to keep the rounds in one neat package. They are faster than loose cartridges but not much.

Tick Slayer wrote:

I think Frontieersman has them in stock. I got mine from a place on the web.

Tick Slayer wrote:

Other than not being real fast I can't think of any.

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-Unknown

Honorably Discharged member of Uncle Sam's Underwater Canoe Club.

Post subject: Re: Speed strips
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

Tick Slayer wrote:

Well, the only answer to #3 is the answer to #1. There are people who claim they can reload from a Speed Strip in 5 seconds, but that'd be after lots of obsessive training. My personal record is about 8 seconds, I think. Then I realized that a regular speedloader is not obvious among the bulk of crap I carry in my pockets anyway, so that's what I carry nowadays. I carry an HKS speedloader for my SP101, but since I got Safariland Comp 2s for my GP100, I think I'l get them for the SP101 as well.

Regarding #2, yeah, Frontiersman had them as of about a week ago.

Bottom line: they're way better than hunting for loose cartridges, and if you ever think you might want to quickly 'top up' after firing a couple rounds, they're perfect for that -- that's the downside of a speedloader: you can't reload less than a full cylinder.

Ooh ooh an excuse to post this pic again:
(BTW they don't sell 5-round Speed Strips; I cut this one off -- and have since decided it'd be smarter to keep the 'extra' round.)

Post subject: They're just CALLED speed strips
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:56 pm 

They let you load two cylinders instead of one at a time, but that's it, and in the heat of the moment the comment about having to train on a O/C basis for them to be much good is right on the money. A speedloader is much better in rounds per second loaded. In addition, I think it would be extremely unlikely to get into a situation where you would NEED to reload, and even more unlikely that you would have TIME to reload. If you're a cop it's different, but for a private citizen where the perp doesn't know that they are attacking an armed victim, it will all be over in a second.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:53 am 

I haven't carried a wheelgun in quite a few years, but I carried speed strips and could load as fast as most of my partners with speed loaders.

You put two rounds into empty chambers and peel back the strip, put the next two into the next empty chambers, peel back. Do it one more time and you're done. How can anyone not do that in 3 or 4 seconds seconds??

The other big advantage is that they are compact and fit anyware without "printing".

Post subject: As Rudyard Kipling once said:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:33 pm 

You're a better man than me, Gunga eL ROY...
Still, in light of the 21 foot rule, 6 shots plus four seconds after that probably means your time is still up in most situations. In LE scenarios it's different, but for an unexpected one-on-one situation, it's gonna be over REAL fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:46 am 
Longtime Regular

I have been looking into them, too. Here's the best price I found, at $6.38, which is pretty durn good:

http://www.copquest.com/14-8000.htm#Bia ... 57_Caliber

Post subject: Price??
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:58 pm 

$6.38 for a piece of plastic is a bargain? Particularly if you're planning to risk your life on how well you can use it in a crisis situation where you need to reload, and there are other options where you can load all the cylinders at once?? I don't think so...

Post subject: Re: Price??
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:07 pm 
Longtime Regular

Seismic Sam wrote:
$6.38 for a piece of plastic is a bargain? Particularly if you're planning to risk your life on how well you can use it in a crisis situation where you need to reload, and there are other options where you can load all the cylinders at once?? I don't think so...

:twisted: I mean, OBVIOUSLY, if it doesn't work for YOU, anyone else who tries it or for whom it is an acceptable practice or compromise is clearly Adled in the head. :twisted: :roll: :roll:

Post subject: Re: Price??
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

Seismic Sam wrote:

It was a bargain price, as far as I could tell after surfing around and looking up prices for speed strips.

But what would be a bargain price, given your criteria? Four cents? Nothing? Minus $125? Having the manufacturer pay you $20 each time you agree to use one of their speed strips?

In any case, I doubt that anybody short of Jerry Miculek can reload a revolver from any kind of speed loader at a speed likely to save your life if a bad guy is coming at you.

I view speed strips as a convenience, nothing more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

Jerry Miculek doesn't use speedloaders, he uses moon clips which are faster.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

I couldn't tell, Jerry's hands were moving so fast I just assumed the gun reloaded itself :-)

Sorry for the terse reply earlier. It just gets me riled a bit when I read such absolutes and condemnation of something just because it doesn't work for someone. Sure, there might be reasons why it's not the best option. There are probably other reasons which counter that or make it the best of all evils option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:40 pm 
1911 tainted

plblark wrote:

Sorry for the terse reply earlier. It just gets me riled a bit when I read such absolutes and condemnation of something just because it doesn't work for someone. Sure, there might be reasons why it's not the best option. There are probably other reasons which counter that or make it the best of all evils option.

Kinda like the laser grip debate on a carry weapon, just another thing to handcap a person and go wrong. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:48 pm 
Longtime Regular

cobb wrote:
plblark wrote:

Kinda like the laser grip debate on a carry weapon, just another thing to handcap a person and go wrong. :wink:

yep. They're so bad that of the 5 guys in a carry class shooting from retention at a target 3-5' away in slow fire, medium paced, and fast as you can pull the trigger mode, the guy with the tightest group was shooting a Taurus 85 with laser that he borrowed and had never fired before.

Obviously a handicap right there.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.