Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:21 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II Anyone? 
 Post subject: Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II Anyone?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:23 pm 

Just wondering if anyone has one or has an opinion of one, kind of looking for a something different to shoot, and I can get a rocking deal on one, NIB, I got a bunch of time to decide... Never shot or owned a 1911 before, not real sure I'd want to carry this may be on the heavier side of my liking.

Just looking for input. :)

Post subject: Re: Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II Anyone?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:47 pm 
The Man

MNXD9 wrote:
Just wondering if anyone has one or has an opinion of one, kind of looking for a something different to shoot, and I can get a rocking deal on one, NIB, I got a bunch of time to decide... Never shot or owned a 1911 before, not real sure I'd want to carry this may be on the heavier side of my liking.

I have an older Pro Carry, and love it. I'm much more of a revolver guy for carry, and have the oft-expressed concerns about safety switches . . . but I'd say: go for it. Worst case, if the deal is good, is that you'll eventually get all of your money out of it when you sell or trade it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

MNXD9 wrote:

If I were you, I'd find a friend with a 1911 or rent one and see what you think. I rented a stainless Springfield 1911 at Bill's North when I was just getting into shooting last summer and was instantly enamored with it. I didn't own any handguns at that time and it was one of the first I had ever tried. I'll definitely be adding a 1911 to my collection when finances allow. From what I've heard, Kimbers are one of the best stock/non-custom 1911's you can buy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

MNXD9 wrote:

MNXD9,

PM me and we could get together and shoot my 1911s

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

For those who mix there carry guns (1911 one day - non 1911 (no safety switchs) next day)

Are you concerned regarding switching back and forth? I keep looking at a Para Warhawg (night hawg I think) drooling, but I'm concerned about a move from a "mental only safety" Sig 229 to a mechanical safety 1911.

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:53 pm 

The Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II is a great carry gun. Enough of the right features, and still at a good value.

My buddy carries one. My Son caries one. I carry one. One of the few times I got my Son to say; "Ya Dad, you were right".

Dress shirt and dress pants, I conceal one just fine and that's without a coat. I had to bite my tongue when a co-worker remarked he hadn't ever seen me carrying during a conversation about Minnesota carry law. Yep, it was still there.

You could do much worse, but you'll need to practice so that safety becomes automatic.

You gota wonder if I'm a little biased?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

I plan on being at Bill's Robbinsdale friday evening with my Pro CDP and Pro Raptor Kimber's if you would like to try one. I think the Pro Carry Stainless is an alloy frame so it would be similar to the CDP.

In my opinion the Pro size/commander size 1911 is the ultimate carry gun. You have to practice with it but once you get used to it it is fantastic.

Good Luck

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-Unknown

Honorably Discharged member of Uncle Sam's Underwater Canoe Club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:29 am 

Well now I wish I didn't work so much, I'm actually working 16 hours shifts through monday afternoon, yeah so range time is pretty much not going to happen, not this week anyways.

I'm going to have to take up some offers to shoot some different guns very soon, I've been doing a lot of reading in my downtime at work.

Selurcspi, I'll send you a pm when I actually get some free time, looks like I'm on afternoon shift until the 18th, which makes it hard to do anything in the real world. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:45 am 
Longtime Regular

MNXD9 wrote:
Selurcspi, I'll send you a pm when I actually get some free time, looks like I'm on afternoon shift until the 18th, which makes it hard to do anything in the real world. :roll:

if you want you can shoot me a PM as well, I am currently unemployed so I am or can be available most anytime.

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-Unknown

Post subject: 1911s
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:11 am 

In my humble opinion, find some time to take jac714 up on his offer. He knows his 1911s!

Post subject: Re: 1911s
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:18 pm 
Longtime Regular

DonL wrote:
In my humble opinion, find some time to take jac714 up on his offer. He knows his 1911s!

Thank you for the compliment, I am a fan of the gun but I don't know how much of an expert I am. :)

MNXD, the first decsision you want to make is the size of the gun, I am a fan of the Pro (or effectively Commander) sized 1911, I think it is a better size for the average person to carry but retains the full sized grip. The other big decision is frame material, alloy or steel. The difference is about 8 ounces.

Let me nknow if you want to shoot either type, the Pro Carry II is an alloy frame and the Pro Carry II HD is a stainless frame. I hav a CDP which is the alloy frame and a Raptor with a steel frame, both are pro sizes.

My $0.02

-Unknown

Post subject: Re: 1911s
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

DonL wrote:

Hey Don,

What about the rest of us, some have been building competition guns for 20 years. :) :) :) :) :) :)

Sorry, I couldn't resist pulling your chain, I know we've never even met. :oops: :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:59 pm 

I knew I asked the question in the right place, I'll let you guys know when I get some time, I'm actually working 16 hour shifts until Monday afternoon :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:03 pm 

I disagree about shooting with Jac...He lets you shoot some of those buttery smooth handloads and then you have to go back to the factory loads and its just not the same. :P That's the way they always do it you know, the first taste is free then you gotta jones that you can only satisfy one way. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

prushin wrote:
I disagree about shooting with Jac...He lets you shoot some of those buttery smooth handloads and then you have to go back to the factory loads and its just not the same. :P That's the way they always do it you know, the first taste is free then you gotta jones that you can only satisfy one way. :D

Moi? I wouldn't do that. :shock: :D :lol:

Nothing in the world shoots like a 1911 with loads built for it. :D :D

-Unknown

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.