Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:38 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Taurus 85 Speedloader Problem 
 Post subject: Taurus 85 Speedloader Problem
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:15 am 

My wife has a Taurus 85 Ultra Lite and I bought some HKS model 36A speedloaders for it. Problem is that the cylinder release interferes with the loader. It's nearly impossible to line up the shells properly to fit into the cylinder. Is this normal, or are we doing something wrong?

TomK
Mpls, MN

PS - FYI Andrew - A set of Hogue grips and a pair of shooting gloves later, and she's firing this gun just fine. Thanks for your help!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
PS - FYI Andrew - A set of Hogue grips and a pair of shooting gloves later, and she's firing this gun just fine. Thanks for your help!!

Glad to hear it!

I just picked up a pair of the 36A loaders, so I'll see if I have the same problem.

By the way, GunStop sells the speedloaders for $8 -- Gander gets $13 or so for them.

Last edited by Andrew Rothman on Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:33 pm 

Too much money!! I got them for $6.13 from www.tradingpostsupply.com.

TomK

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:05 pm 
Forum Moderator

W0THK wrote:

TomK
I am sorry, but I can't resist the urge to say "great price", but if you needed ones that worked you should have paid more :) "

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Taurus 85 Speedloader Problem
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:12 pm 
on probation

W0THK wrote:
My wife has a Taurus 85 Ultra Lite and I bought some HKS model 36A speedloaders for it. Problem is that the cylinder release interferes with the loader. It's nearly impossible to line up the shells properly to fit into the cylinder. Is this normal, or are we doing something wrong?

TomK
Mpls, MN

If you want come in the shop and I will check it out for you and see whats going on with it.......

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

W0THK wrote:

TomK

And just how much did you pay for shipping?? It might have been a wash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

W0THK,

I have purchased several different ones and none work. If you can find one that works, please let me know what it is, so I can buy one as well.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:27 am 

[/quote]

And just how much did you pay for shipping?? It might have been a wash.[/quote]

Shipping was $6.56. Actually, it was a pretty good deal, I think. I'm not aware there's anything wrong with HKS merchandise. Guess they just don't work well with this gun. I'm anxious to see what results Andrew has.

TomK

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:33 pm 
Longtime Regular

Okay, I gave it a try with some snap-caps tonight.

It was close, but the speedloaders did work for me. There's not a lot of extra room; it's easy to try to pull the loader back up at an angle and drag the cartridges backward.

Try making sure the muzzle is pointed straight at the ground, to let gravity help drop the rounds into the cylinder.

It could be, I suppose, that your newer 85 has a fractionally fatter cylinder release lever than my old one.

David at the scuba shop has the S&W snubby that the Taurus is based on. I'll ask him if he has had any issues.

We may have to meet up with all three guns and get to the bottom of this! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:56 am 

Andrew Rothman wrote:
We may have to meet up with all three guns and get to the bottom of this! :)

Thanks, Andrew! That works for us! I may also take Mark up on his offer and drop by his shop this weekend. There's got to be a solution to this highly critical problem!! <gr>

TomK

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 5:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

At the last MADFI training, I talked to a couple of other instructors with the same gun (or its S&W cousin). The consensus is that yes, it's tight, but doable, and that no brand of speedloader is going to improve it.

Practice, practice, practice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:07 am 

She's been shooting mostly wadcutters with the Taurus. We're thinking they extended, blunt casings might be part of the problem. I ordered some round nose rounds to see if that helps any.

TomK

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:32 pm 

Speed strips carry flatter and are also reasonably quick with practice

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:49 am 

W0THK wrote:
She's been shooting mostly wadcutters with the Taurus. We're thinking they extended, blunt casings might be part of the problem. I ordered some round nose rounds to see if that helps any.

TomK

The round nosers load a lot easier! Wifie says they seem to stand up straighter in the speedloader than the wadcutters, for some reason.

Thanks to everyone who responded!

TomK

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

W0THK wrote:
The round nosers load a lot easier! Wifie says they seem to stand up straighter in the speedloader than the wadcutters, for some reason.

More likely, a little "lean" is no big deal with round noses, but a dealbreaker for wadcutters.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.