Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:23 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Trouble with Kel-Tec P11 
 Post subject: Trouble with Kel-Tec P11
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:05 pm 

My son is getting out of the Marine Corps this fall and wants to get a carry permit and pistol. See the original thread Here
A TCC fourm member offered to sell me a Kel-Tec P11 at a price I couldn't turn down. I took said pistol to the range today and it took 19 pulls of the trigger to fire 10 shots.

Field striping and inspecting the piece, it seems to me that either the firing pin spring is too strong or the hammer needs more mass.

Does anyone here have any experience with a similar malfunction on one of these? Do I need to take it to a gunsmith? or send it in to the factory?

http://mrra.org
6 down, 24 to go.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:20 pm 

Post your questions about any Kel-Tec at ktog.org's forum found at the following site: http://www.ktog.org/ The guys over there are amazing and very friendly, doing mods to the kel-tecs that most guys wouldn't think to do to another manufacturer's gun. You could probably do a search over there for posts that already talk about your symptoms.

Every Kel-Tec should have a "fluff and buff" when it comes out of the box. Just a little polishing here and there to eliminate the rough edges left by the factory. This helps smooth out the action so the slide cycles and hammer falls as the springs intended them to. There's instructions on what to buff at ktog as well as some other keltec sites across the net. If you need new parts, call Kel-Tec in florida. They have good customer service and quick shipment on small things like springs.

Good luck,

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have and use a P11 for carry purposes.

Couple of issues maybe: (I have not had them)
One would be an ammo problem with hard primers (what kind of ammo was it?).
Home gun smithing by previous owner to "lighten" the trigger by doing a "paper clip fix". Check out www.ktog.org for more info on Kel-tecs.

I would ask the previous owner about the "lightening" the trigger issue.

The good news is Kel-tec has by far the best service team in the business for the first or 99th owner of the gun. Note: Florida where they are located prohibits a mfg in registering/keeping track of SN and names.

Let us know some more information and ask me any additional question. Note: The only issue I have had was feeding 147 square nose bullets. I hope this helps. :D

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:55 pm 

Thanks guys.

There's an article on KTOG.org about light primer strikes. Sure sounds like the problem I'm having.

For the record I was shooting Remington (green Box). You can't tell by the picture but the firing pin is hitting off center and barely denting the primers.

http://mrra.org
6 down, 24 to go.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Trouble with Kel-Tec P11
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:26 pm 

Rip Van Winkle wrote:
. . . A TCC fourm member offered to sell me a Kel-Tec P11 at a price I couldn't turn down. I took said pistol to the range today and it took 19 pulls of the trigger to fire 10 shots. . . .

Rip, one more thought or question for you. Did the seller accurately describe the gun before you bought it, i.e., admitting that he/she had had some light primer strikes and/or mis/no-fires?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:39 pm 
Longtime Regular

Hopefully that will help.

You can also call Kel-tec and they will send you for FREE a new firing pin spring.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.