Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:35 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 I can't shoot my 642 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:46 am 

hypertech wrote:
You ought to be able to hit COM at 21 feet, but the 642 really isn't a target gun. I think you get pretty good sized groups no matter what.

The 642 is an amazingly accurate gun. My experience that tells me so is with a 442, but hear me out.

We were outside a couple weeks ago, shooting at a steel silhouette at 50 *YARDS*. I was shooting prone, using a solid two handed grip. I was using a very slow trigger pull, focusing on the front sight making sure the sight wasn't moving, and letting the shot surprise me. I could ping a 12" by 20" silhouette EVERY single time if I took my time. It surprised the hell out of me, but it's an accurate little gun.

Now, shooting revolvers, especially small grip revolvers, takes some getting used to. It's a long heavy trigger pull, and if you don't shoot revolver regularly, you tend to treat the trigger like a semi-auto and push the rounds low and left (right for lefty shooters).

Try taking your time next time, focus on a consistent speed through the trigger, and let the shot surprise you. I think you'll be amazed how well the little J-frames can shoot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:20 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
I could ping a 12" by 20" silhouette EVERY single time if I took my time.

Double the distance, you'll still ping a target that size consistently.
Once the projectile is rotating it will normally stabilize and fly accurately over its whole arc. The problem comes when the bullet strips in the barrel (not normally a problem with .38s) and becomes unbalanced. Alternatively the operator of the arm is less than adequate.

You can amaze people and win a few bets with this little trick.
Most people have no clue about ballistics and are generally taught by Hellywood, who are consistently stupid with guns.
Almost all “non-gun” and a fairly large percentage of “gun” people think a handgun bullet travels a few hundred feet at best and they also believe that these bullets will not go where they are directed, There is really only one critical time in the bullet’s flight and that is when a supersonic bullet slows down and becomes transonic. It is at this time that some instability can occur. Long range pistol shooters will typically load their ammunition to either remain supersonic all the way to the target or go transonic about halfway there, allowing for re-stabilization before reaching the mark.

About 12 years ago there was a big argument between the NRA (the original one, in England) and the NPA as to who used the ranges most at Bisley Camp. The NPA claimed more ammunition downrange and the NRA claimed more ground covered by rifle bullets. The NRA challenged the NPA to a shoot off to settle the dispute, teams of 20 shooters. The NPA chose the distances, 800, 1000, 1200 yards. On the given day the results were tabulated and first place went to an NRA rifleman :( . However the next eleven places went to pistols :D :D before the second rifle :( and then a further five pistols :D :D before the remainder of the field, which were a mixed bag.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Never let anyone tell you pistols are inaccurate, they are only showing their ignorance of ballistics.

Ballisticians REQUIRED reading:

“The Bullets flight” by FW Mann. This is a cure for insomnia, but a must for anyone who wants to understand ballistics. Until the early fifties this book was a national secret and was only available to vetted firearms professionals.

Edited to add

One copy available on Ebay http://tinyurl.com/27fda7

Also from addall.com http://tinyurl.com/2xgkks

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.