Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:00 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Hi Point Semi Auto's 
 Post subject: Hi Point Semi Auto's
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:24 pm 

I don't think I would ever buy one but I see on Gun Broker a lot of these going for peanuts, like $125 $150 new and $75 $100 used. Has anybody have any experience with these? They have a lifetime exchange warranty no Q's asked. made in the USA . They come in .380 9mm .40 and .45 cal. the frames and slides all seem to be the same, I wonder if the only difference is just the barrel and magazine. they seem to be very wide and bulky. anyway was just curious.

Post subject: For The Price...
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:31 pm 

I've had individuals I know own firearms made by Hi-Point with no complaints. They ARE bulky, heavy and... ugly. I'm not sure I'd trust my life to one (IE: Use as a carry) but, if you want something priced REALLY nice, well, CHEAP... it's better than NOTHING at all, I suppose.

~Timothy

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

I like to make fun of Hi-Points and their owners, but the fact is I don't actually have any first-hand experience with them. For a cheap range gun, it might not be that bad. Like Timothy said, for carry I'd look elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:51 pm 

I work with someone whom just bought one a few months ago. 9mm FOR LIKE A BUCK TWENTY FIVE.
He likes it a lot but then he's cheap, clams it works great.
I think they are about as ugly as they get!!! But what the heck. If it works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:13 pm 

I had the 9mm and put 2000 plus rounds through it with no problems at all. I sold it when I got my permit to carry and got a smaller pistol. The friend I sold it to has put about 1000 rounds through it and has had zero problems. It is not real accurate outside of 30 feet or so, that was my only complaint.

NRA & Minnesota certified instructor

www.mnpersonaldefense.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Hi Point Semi Auto's
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:26 pm 

BamBam wrote:
They have a lifetime exchange warranty no Q's asked. made in the USA .

I'm not sure about the good warranty. The original manufacturer sold out and the new outfit's warranty sure didn't seem to read the same as the old one to me.

May be best to inquire about the warranty on the new guns ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:07 pm 
Longtime Regular

If I remember correctly, they are big and bulky because they are all straight blowback for simplicity of manufacture. So, the bigger the caliber, the bigger and heavier the slide. I hear that they normally work fine.

Blowback requires no locking lug fitting or barrel link or angled lug to unlock the barrel after firing. No hand fitting means cheap to make.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:15 am 

I bought the 9c about five years ago. I wanted to try a semi auto just to see if I would like one. I have not had any problems but I probably haven't ran more than 800 rounds through. I keep it in the car/truck as a backup.
Everyone who has never owned one says -
Quote:
I'm not sure I'd trust my life to one

But then again even those of us who do own them are always looking for something better.

"I disagree with what you say, but I would fight to the death for your right to say it." Voltaire

"I may not be allowed to eat the apples any more, but strolling through the orchard is certainly pleasant." Chunkstyle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:18 pm 
Longtime Regular

I call them the "Oh Well" gun.

You ran over your Hi-Point with your truck or accidently dropped it into the lake?

Oh Well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:42 pm 
Longtime Regular

OH WELL as long as they work.

I have had good luck with the carbines... they make a good truck gun. :wink:

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:33 pm 

Oh Well , sounds like a good idea just to have one , tucked away somewhere , maybe in the garage or basement tucked in the rafters or behind some books, (no kids)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

If you get a hi-point you need to learn the Hi-Point Drill.

Single Shot: Draw your hi-point from it's holster and throw it at the perp.
Double Action: Remove the magazine and keep it in one hand while throwing the gun at the perp with the other hand. If necessary, throw the magazine at the perp.
Semi-Automatic: Remove all cartridges from the magazine and throw them on at a time at the perp. If necessary throw the gun and the empty magazine.
Fully Automatic: Remove all cartridges from the magazine, and throw these all at once with the gun and empty mag - at the perp.

It has been noted by astute observers that single-shot mode can also be attained by pulling the trigger. The advantage of this is that the High-Point can now act like a boomerang with it's action jammed back. If you own the correct power tools and a vice, you can unjam the action later during your spare time. Until then, a rope can be attached to the gun via the trigger guard and it becomes a handy device for scaling walls.

As you can see, Hi-Point handguns offer a variety of modes that cover all the possible scenarios of self-defence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:48 pm 
Longtime Regular

I had one for a while. Sold it to fund other stuff.

They are ugly as sin, heavy and bulky. The compact models have short barrels, which makes them short range guns. They are also dead reliable.

In the several years I have been reading the gunboards I have come across one guy that had a complete lemon. He's the one that constantly talks about how he buried it in the desert on THR. Everyone else talking carp about Hi-Points has never owned one.

If you really need a gun, there are worse choices you can make.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:36 pm 
Delicate Flower

Had mine out today.............never has had any issues. I agree......ugly, heavy, and cheap. But again never have had a problem with it. It's a truck gun so to speak.........battle spare and an"O well" gun also. Definitely not for carry

Love the carbine...........accurate little bugger right out of the box

Both 9mm

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

I was looking at one of the 9mm carbines. At the time I figured it would be nice to standardize one one caliber, have something that can reach out a bit further, and it was cheap. Because it was so cheap I wanted to looking into the reliabilty a bit more.

I didn't get the chance and since then I have picked up too many calibers

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.