Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:04 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Glock, malfunction or not? 
 Post subject: Glock, malfunction or not?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:03 pm 

G26. Ever since new, after firing the last round the slide locks back, I slap in a fresh clip and the slide releases forward and chambers a new round ready to fire. Yesterday after slapping in a fresh clip, sometimes the slide would release, sometimes not, sometimes chamber a round, sometimes not. The gun was clean before going to the range. Cleaned it when I got home, same result. Took it to a shop today, the gentleman informed me that the slide had to be released via the slide release when a new mag was inserted and that it was functioning fine. When I explained that it had not functioned that way for the last 5 or 6 thousand rounds, he basically stated that had been malfunctioning up until now, and was presently functioning normal, or that it may be a different generation Glock. Mag insertions are not done with limp wrist. I think this is a third gen glock, purchased new about two years ago. Malfunction or not? Recomend a gunsmith? Mods, relocate if needed. Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:22 pm 

She's not supposed to automatically slide forward when you put a new magazine into her. Slamming a mag into the gun can cause the result of the slide jumping the release/lock and sliding forward. Some guns are more prone to this than others simply based on the strength of the magazine release/lock spring, the notch-out on the slide that the release/lock grabs, etc. Inspect your slide release/lock, its spring, and the notch on your slide for wear, etc. If you don't see any cracks or other atypical issues, don't worry about it. I don't think I would characterize it as being defective either before or now. It's just the way it was and now is.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:01 pm 

I noticed that on my glock a while back, I slam the mag in real hard and it would drop the slide. I don't think its normal but I have heard of some people modifying their competition guns to do it.

Jon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:13 am 

Yep, not by design but makes things pretty easy when it happens.

rtk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:30 pm 

I've noticed this on my G23 also. It seems that slamming the mag home hard enough will "usually" release the slide. As long as you're aware of this, I don't think it's a bad thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:51 am 

I've never had it happen to me with my G17. I was at Bill's Shooter Show on Friday & tried the M&P 9mm. When I slammed the magazine in the slide went into battery on me. First time I've tried the M&P. This is the first time that I can recall it happening to me with any gun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:31 am 
Forum Moderator

Completely normal. If it happens, it is a feature, not a bug.

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

phorvick wrote:
Completely normal. If it happens, it is a feature, not a bug.

Yep, that's the way I look at it.

"The attitude of people associating guns with nothing but crime, that is what has to be changed. I grew up at a time when people were not afraid of people with firearms." —Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia
Sierra Trading - Firearms Sales, Service and Training

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.