Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:26 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 What do you recommend as in inexpensive self-defense firearm 
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:31 am 
Forum Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:37 pm
Posts: 1571
Location: Detroit Lakes, MN
Up in the tundra, Kel-Tec tends to be unavailable used, and near MSRP new. I just bought a P3AT and did have lots of problems, but KT customer service is top notch and they fixed everything. I suspect you don't see many used as these really are not range guns...not shot all that much. They are carry or back-up-carry guns that serve a purpose that will continue for a long time, thus not many used are available.

My P3AT is reasonably accurate, 100% reliable (now, after it was repaired) and is a perfect pocket gun. For me, and of course YMMV, it is not the primary carry gun as I prefer both a bigger hole and higher capacity, but...it sits in my pocket all the time. Perfect for that role.

You can find the P3AT new for about $250 or so. Not a bad price at all.

_________________
Paul Horvick
http://shootingsafely.com
---
Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com


Offline
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:44 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:38 pm
Posts: 36
Location: columbiaheights
phorvick wrote:
Up in the tundra, Kel-Tec tends to be unavailable used, and near MSRP new. I just bought a P3AT and did have lots of problems, but KT customer service is top notch and they fixed everything. I suspect you don't see many used as these really are not range guns...not shot all that much. They are carry or back-up-carry guns that serve a purpose that will continue for a long time, thus not many used are available.

My P3AT is reasonably accurate, 100% reliable (now, after it was repaired) and is a perfect pocket gun. For me, and of course YMMV, it is not the primary carry gun as I prefer both a bigger hole and higher capacity, but...it sits in my pocket all the time. Perfect for that role.

You can find the P3AT new for about $250 or so. Not a bad price at all.
not a bad price where can i get one at

_________________
N.T.S. - Nitrous Tune Specialist
contact Mark at 612-309-7473
or
crazyheights@aol.com


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:05 am 
Forum Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:37 pm
Posts: 1571
Location: Detroit Lakes, MN
crazy wrote:
phorvick wrote:
Up in the tundra, Kel-Tec tends to be unavailable used, and near MSRP new. I just bought a P3AT and did have lots of problems, but KT customer service is top notch and they fixed everything. I suspect you don't see many used as these really are not range guns...not shot all that much. They are carry or back-up-carry guns that serve a purpose that will continue for a long time, thus not many used are available.

My P3AT is reasonably accurate, 100% reliable (now, after it was repaired) and is a perfect pocket gun. For me, and of course YMMV, it is not the primary carry gun as I prefer both a bigger hole and higher capacity, but...it sits in my pocket all the time. Perfect for that role.

You can find the P3AT new for about $250 or so. Not a bad price at all.
not a bad price where can i get one at

I bought mine on line...in checking Gunbroker this morning there are all sorts of them in the $225-$250 range.

_________________
Paul Horvick
http://shootingsafely.com
---
Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com


Offline
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Kel-tec
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:45 pm 
Junior Member

Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:12 pm
Posts: 5
Location: Princeton MN
Try www.cdnninvestments.com. On the web site they have a 1-800 # to call for firearms information. I believe they carry them for a very good price. They just need to have a signed FFL on file to send the weapon to. I just had my local dealer send them one.

They also deal in a lot of used Police weapons of all types and often have pretty good prices if you don't mind a little character (holster wear).

Payne


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:41 pm 
Journeyman Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:06 pm
Posts: 78
crazy wrote:
not a bad price where can i get one at


That's the same price Mark (lastgunshop) quoted me when I was thinking of one.

_________________
Pakrat did not make my avatar.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:17 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:38 pm
Posts: 36
Location: columbiaheights
backinthegame wrote:
crazy wrote:
not a bad price where can i get one at


That's the same price Mark (lastgunshop) quoted me when I was thinking of one.
well i might just have to call him

_________________
N.T.S. - Nitrous Tune Specialist
contact Mark at 612-309-7473
or
crazyheights@aol.com


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:04 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:44 am
Posts: 18
I'd recommend a Makarov for a semi- auto also. These days they're customizable, fobus has a holster, just don't do any barrel swapping to be safe...seriously though, I was one of the people who got a call from an Agent Kaufman from the FBI one day because I had bought a ported Makarov barrel from Federeal Arms years ago. A judge in Seatlle was killed with a Makarov/Federal barrel combo. Eventually I met him at the Eden Prairie police dept parking lot to hand over the Mak. A different agent delivered it to my house about 2-3 weeks later after they had ruled it out. It shoots nice with that ported barrel. I also have a coulple east german ones. They're pretty smooth operating with a little polishing up. And they have a safe decocker.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:28 pm 
Senior Member

Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:36 am
Posts: 106
Location: Buffalo
alyoop wrote:
I'd recommend a Makarov for a semi- auto also. These days they're customizable, fobus has a holster, just don't do any barrel swapping to be safe...seriously though, I was one of the people who got a call from an Agent Kaufman from the FBI one day because I had bought a ported Makarov barrel from Federeal Arms years ago. A judge in Seatlle was killed with a Makarov/Federal barrel combo. Eventually I met him at the Eden Prairie police dept parking lot to hand over the Mak. A different agent delivered it to my house about 2-3 weeks later after they had ruled it out. It shoots nice with that ported barrel. I also have a coulple east german ones. They're pretty smooth operating with a little polishing up. And they have a safe decocker.


I had a different FBI agent come to my house to check out the Mak that I no longer owned. Of course this is the one gun that I could not find the receipt for when I sold it. :roll: I sold it to The Outpost, I think that's the name of the place that used to be in Plymouth. I told the FBI that I had taken out the Federal Arms barrel because I thought it was a POS and destroyed it. I put the original barrel back in sold it. As I'm telling him this I'm thinking, " boy does my story sound like BS." I still think my saving grace is that I still worked as a reserve for the Sheriffs office and had a take-home squad car parked in the driveway.

Anyway, he thought he would be able to trace it from there and verify that the Federal barrel was not in it and wasn't when it was sold. Never heard back from him so it must have worked out.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:53 pm 
on probation
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:50 am
Posts: 544
Location: minneapolis
alyoop wrote:
I was one of the people who got a call from an Agent Kaufman from the FBI one day because I had bought a ported Makarov barrel from Federeal Arms years ago. A judge in Seatlle was killed with a Makarov/Federal barrel combo. Eventually I met him at the Eden Prairie police dept parking lot to hand over the Mak. A different agent delivered it to my house about 2-3 weeks later after they had ruled it out. It shoots nice with that ported barrel. I also have a coulple east german ones. They're pretty smooth operating with a little polishing up. And they have a safe decocker.
Well If you or I got shot do you think the F&$K FBI would put that much work in to the case? A: Hell NO ! :evil:

_________________
On time out until at least May 2006. PM unavailable; contact this user via email.


Offline
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:10 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:38 pm
Posts: 36
Location: columbiaheights
lastgunshop wrote:
alyoop wrote:
I was one of the people who got a call from an Agent Kaufman from the FBI one day because I had bought a ported Makarov barrel from Federeal Arms years ago. A judge in Seatlle was killed with a Makarov/Federal barrel combo. Eventually I met him at the Eden Prairie police dept parking lot to hand over the Mak. A different agent delivered it to my house about 2-3 weeks later after they had ruled it out. It shoots nice with that ported barrel. I also have a coulple east german ones. They're pretty smooth operating with a little polishing up. And they have a safe decocker.
Well If you or I got shot do you think the F&$K FBI would put that much work in to the case? A: Hell NO ! :evil:
lol the FBI what a joke just like the CIA its all about how you are and how much your worth i now lets send them after elegls you know border jumpers :D

_________________
N.T.S. - Nitrous Tune Specialist
contact Mark at 612-309-7473
or
crazyheights@aol.com


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:46 pm 
Delicate Flower
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:50 pm
Posts: 340
Bersa 9mm Thunder UC. Small, light, goes bang every time and recoil is mild. It's a Walther clone, so what more need I say?


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours


 Who is online 

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron


 
Index  |  FAQ  |  Search

phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group