Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:55 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Beretta or HK...or... 
 Post subject: Beretta or HK...or...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

Hello! Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm not new to handguns, but I haven't owned a semi-auto in awhile. I had a Glock 17 up until a few years ago, but ended up selling it. I'm now looking for a semi-auto in .40SW.

Although I do intend on obtaining my carry permit this spring, I'm not concerned about size...my S&W model 60 should fit the bill nicely for small and concealable. For the times when I do want to carry the "new" gun, I'm a nice big strapping guy, so I don't mind the weight or size. :lol:

That said, I've currently got it narrowed down to two used guns. One is a Beretta 96 Vertec priced at $509 in amazing condition, the other is a H&K USP40, in what I would call very good condition, priced at $549.

I've shot both models, and I'm truly torn. Both are excellent in their own right, and I know both are quality pieces. I am a southpaw, so the ambidextrous safety/decock on the Beretta holds a lot of interest.

Anything else I should consider between these two? Any other models I should be considering?

I'm trying to stay under $600 on this purchase...

Thank you!!!

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have owned the HP USPc and it was great. Just for your info, the HK can have the decocker moved to the other side. Never shot the Beretta.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:09 pm 
On time out

Where are you located, there are some screaming deals floating around for the same or less money, if you are close to the cities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:19 pm 
Longtime Regular

1911fan wrote:
Where are you located, there are some screaming deals floating around for the same or less money, if you are close to the cities.

I'm in Eden Prairie...open to knowing what else is out there! I've been to Bill's, Gander, Cabelas, Metro, and Gunstop so far...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

Moby Clarke wrote:
I have owned the HP USPc and it was great. Just for your info, the HK can have the decocker moved to the other side. Never shot the Beretta.

From what I've seen, it's just a couple replacement parts and a few minutes with a decent gunsmith, correct?

Thanks,

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:22 am 
Longtime Regular

My personal favorite is the M&P line. I have and carry a M&P 40 compact and shoots great for a compact gun. I plan on getting a full side one this year because I like it so much. The other favorite is the XD40 in 4".

I don't have any background in the other two guns. :)

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:45 am 
Longtime Regular

Check with Mark Koscielski at Koscielski's Gun Shop in Minneapolis. I think he might still have some smokin' deals on some Beretta 96 Vertec (State Patrol trade-ins).

mrokern wrote:
1911fan wrote:

I'm in Eden Prairie...open to knowing what else is out there! I've been to Bill's, Gander, Cabelas, Metro, and Gunstop so far...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:03 am 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Check with Mark Koscielski at Koscielski's Gun Shop in Minneapolis. I think he might still have some smokin' deals on some Beretta 96 Vertec (State Patrol trade-ins).

(smacking head) Forgot to look there!!! :oops:

I'll give him a call this morning...got cash and purchase permit in my wallet, so I should be popular. :lol:

Thanks,

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:39 am 

Andrew Rothman wrote:

mrokern wrote:
1911fan wrote:

What kind of money is a smokin deal on those Berettas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:48 am 
Longtime Regular

After calling around, driving around, and putting my hands on everything I could find in my price range...

I ended up going 9mm, and have a brand-new in the box 92FS to my name. :-) It's going to be a fun weekend!

Seriously, nothing felt as good in my hands as the Beretta grip, it works great for us southpaws, and I'm pleased, pleased, pleased!

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:01 am 

I've got a 92FS myself. You'll love it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:47 pm 

[quote]Check with Mark Koscielski at Koscielski's Gun Shop in Minneapolis.

Did this store reopen? I was there one time years ago and then they shut it down about a year or two ago.

oscar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

My brother has an HK (in .45) and loves it. You cant go wrong with the 92FS either.
If you are not stuck on getting a .40, the Kimber 1911's in .45 are really nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:52 pm 
Delicate Flower

oscarswanson wrote:
Quote:
Check with Mark Koscielski at Koscielski's Gun Shop in Minneapolis.

Did this store reopen? I was there one time years ago and then they shut it down about a year or two ago.

oscar

Mark is still around and open.................cept he cannot sell guns at the store
:roll: :roll: :roll:

You can order and then take delivery at the next gun show he attends. Nonsense :evil: :evil:

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.