Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:48 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 New Ruger LCP .380 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:01 am 
Longtime Regular

I tried the LCP in a couple of Kel-Tec holsters including "the Holdster" .. it didn't fit. Close but not quite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

Gunstop is out, I just called them (crap, I like that $284 price!!!). Anybody else have one in their case that isn't marking them up to stupid levels?

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:18 pm 
Journeyman Member

Per Ruger's web site.
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/Pop-HolsterLinksLCP.html

The LCP is compatible with a variety of small caliber pistol holsters offered by Bianchi®, Blackhawk Products, Safariland® and numerous other manufacturers. The following holsters have been specifically tested and approved for fit:

Don Hume:
• J966630R - Black Leather J.I.T. Slide

Fobus:
• KT2GA - Tactical Elite Ankle
• KT2G - Tactical Elite Paddle

Uncle Mike's:
•Any Size 10 Holster

Dorian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:36 am 

I called Desantis and they say their Nemisis and Superfly holsters for the Kel Tec will work for the LCP. In addition I am already hearing and seeing (pics posted) on other forums broken firing pin from dry firing the LCP. This specific incident happened with the magazine in and snap caps were not used. Poster said it had been dried fired 80 to 100 times when a piece of the firing pin exited the barrel. Of course this sparked the never ending debate on to dry fire or to not dry fire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:10 am 
Longtime Regular

The instructions for my Beretta Tomcat (Apples to Oranges, some may say) specifically warn against dry-firing.

This is also why I avoid buying display models-too many opportunities for something to get worn, broken, or mishandled.

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:28 am 

Binky .357 wrote:
The instructions for my Beretta Tomcat (Apples to Oranges, some may say) specifically warn against dry-firing.

This is also why I avoid buying display models-too many opportunities for something to get worn, broken, or mishandled.

This was brought up in thread as well. Someone mentioned that the Kel Tec manual expressly warned against dry firing. With the Ruger LCP and Kel Tec being nearly identical I would guess the same would apply. I personally do not do alot of dry firing.
Others argue that a quality firearm should be able to withstand dry firing all day long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:55 pm 

I'm not sure about the p3AT, but one major reason not to fire a KelTec P40 or P11 is because of a tiny set screw that holds the firing pin in. Dry firing really buggers up the bottom of the set screw that rests in a channel of the firing pin. Causes unneeded stresses on both parts. Having the firing pin knock against the hard set screw or breach face is bound to lead to premature wear and failure at some point. If you banged a hammer against your gun's breach face or against the actual firing pin over and over, it's going to leave a mark (at the very least). Why do that? It's like slamming your car doors as hard as you can every time you get in and out. Again, why? (Can you tell I'm getting to the point where my kids are opening and closing car doors on their own?)

I also concur with the comment above regarding buying demo models. Customers, and even shop owners, dry fire the heck out of guns displayed in the cases. (For example, I was just at Bill's North and there were two 20-something morons dry firing every long gun they took off the wall.) When you buy a used gun, you expect that it may have been to he*l and back. But you shouldn't have to accept the same thing from new guns. Why the dealers don't make browsing customers use snap caps is beyond me.

Bottomline is snap caps are too cheap not to use them, whether you think dry firing is bad or not. Sure, a KelTec firing pin and set screw are cheap to replace too, but again, why beat the gun up in the first place.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:58 pm 
Journeyman Member

I am interested in checking this new LCP out. Any new sightings / prices in the city? Didn't see one at Bill's Shooters Show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:08 am 
Longtime Regular

As a side note, Crimson Trace has announced that they will be coming out with a laser for the LCP this summer.Kahr also had a 380 prototype at Bills show that will be coming out this summer. It however will be in the $600.00 range.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:02 am 
Longtime Regular

squib_joe wrote:
I tried the LCP in a couple of Kel-Tec holsters including "the Holdster" .. it didn't fit. Close but not quite.

How about side by side pics to see what the difference is... most likely a trigger guard difference in thickness, height or length. Thanks

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:29 am 

I know anything is better than nothing, but is your opinions, is there some decent .380 defensive ammo out there? I am strongly considering this gun as a new carry option, and I would much prefer my .40 or .45 with me...but with that said...

Thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:35 am 

http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/default.htm#380
This stuff looks good. Try the .38 Spl. too
It also shows a few guns & barrel lenghts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:45 am 
Longtime Regular

Wow - Corbon can't touch those numbers (ft pounds) for a .380

I guess I know what will be chambered in my Kelteck (when I finally get it)

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:55 am 

styx wrote:
I know anything is better than nothing, but is your opinions, is there some decent .380 defensive ammo out there? I am strongly considering this gun as a new carry option, and I would much prefer my .40 or .45 with me...but with that said...

Thoughts?

I keep the Federal HydroShock .380 rounds in my KelTec. I've cycled about 150 rounds through the KelTec so far, and not a single misfire or F2F.

I'm excited about the Ruger though. I'm going to be snatching one as soon as I can find one.

Protect yourself and the ones you love.

NRA Certified Instructor
MADFI Certified Instructor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:17 am 
Longtime Regular

Can the Kel Tec handle +P? I'd be surprised if it could...

Hydra-Shok for me.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.