Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:11 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Deal or no deal.... 
 Post subject: Deal or no deal....
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:39 am 

Been lurking here for sometime and have just decided to sign up. I have had my permit to carry for about 8 months. I own a FNP 9mm which in my opinion is to big for conceal carry purposes. It is my home defense gun. I have been looking for a nice conceal carry gun for awhile. I am looking at the S&W J frames. I can get a 640-1 J frame .357 with about 150 rounds through it with a Galco ankle holster delivered to my FFL for $400.00. Comparing that to whats on Gunbroker that seems a pretty good deal to me. But I am also reading where alot of J frame owners are being converted by the Kahr Pm9 for cc. Thoughts and opinions???

Post subject: Re: Deal or no deal....
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:44 am 
The Man

MnMonte wrote:
Been lurking here for sometime and have just decided to sign up. I have had my permit to carry for about 8 months. I own a FNP 9mm which in my opinion is to big for conceal carry purposes. It is my home defense gun. I have been looking for a nice conceal carry gun for awhile. I am looking at the S&W J frames. I can get a 640-1 J frame .357 with about 150 rounds through it with a Galco ankle holster delivered to my FFL for $400.00. Comparing that to whats on Gunbroker that seems a pretty good deal to me. But I am also reading where alot of J frame owners are being converted by the Kahr Pm9 for cc. Thoughts and opinions???
Deal, IMHO, and all. I like -- and own -- the Kahr, but I think a revolver is a much better choice for almost everybody for carry. Ankle holster, not so much, but you can always sell it off.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:52 am 

Kind of what I thought. I really have no interest in the ankle holster but they run around 60 to 70 bucks and it sweetens the deal. If I can get a few bucks selling it and reduce the cost of the gun even further all the better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:59 am 
1911 tainted

I think the ankle holster is a bad carry for a primary weapon. But if you are carrying 2 weapons, the second as a backup in an ankle holster, that ain't all bad. I think ankle holsters have their place, even as a primary carry, dictated by some situations, but in most cases, I don't care for them.

If you do get the deal, post the ankle holster for sale here. I could maybe use another if it is different than what I have for my current permit class display, maybe some here have the same need.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:08 am 

cobb wrote:
I think the ankle holster is a bad carry for a primary weapon. But if you are carrying 2 weapons, the second as a backup in an ankle holster, that ain't all bad. I think ankle holsters have their place, even as a primary carry, dictated by some situations, but in most cases, I don't care for them.

If you do get the deal, post the ankle holster for sale here. I could maybe use another if it is different than what I have for my current permit class display, maybe some here have the same need.

I am pretty sure I am going to make the deal. It has been what I have been looking for. I have been wanting a .357 J frame for awhile.
I will post the ankle holster here once I get it in my hands and know what the condition is. Thanks for the response.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:16 am 
1911 tainted

I will add, it is pretty hard to go wrong with a S&W wheel gun. I own and carry a 642 on occasion and when my daughter turned 21, I gave her a S&W 642 J frame, a DeSanti IWB holster and a pocket holster, so she is covered.

Let us know how it all turns out for you.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:00 am 
On time out

One good use of an ankle holster is getting past the wand'ers at events, they never bend over far enough to wand your ankle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:00 am 
Longtime Regular

To reaffirm the decision to go with the 640: one thing I've learned shooting small autoloaders (KelTecs and Kahrs) is that they're simply not as reliable as wheel-guns. The KelTecs I've shot are too small. My Kahr has just not been reliable and as far as I an Kahr Arms can tell, it's not me, it's the gun. My 642 has always gone bang.

I'm not a full convert to the "church of the appropriate revolver," but if you want to stick with small and aren't going to shoot the hell out of your autoloader to prove it before purchasing it, definitely get a small revolver over the Kahr. What will you lose? The snubbie will have a smaller capacity and will be a little thicker at the cylinder but otherwise virtually identical size to a PM9 Given that the 640 is rated for .357 magnum loads, I wouldn't have concerns over the power vs a 9mm.

I say I'm not a convert because I've had nothing but absolute reliability out of my larger autoloaders; why? I don't know. Plus I'm comfortable enough with carry now to lug one of them around.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:20 am 

MnMonte wrote:
I can get a 640-1 J frame .357 with about 150 rounds through it with a Galco ankle holster delivered to my FFL for $400.00.

Do it. That's a great price for that gun. I carry a 640.

It's 8 ounces heavier than the 642. So, I find it a little heavy for pocket carry in some pants/jackets. That's the only down side verses the 642. On the plus side, the extra weight makes for a better shooting gun. You'll also have the option of shooting .38 or .357 Mag.

Skin that smokewagon and see what happens.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:29 am 

JoeH wrote:
MnMonte wrote:
I can get a 640-1 J frame .357 with about 150 rounds through it with a Galco ankle holster delivered to my FFL for $400.00.

Do it. That's a great price for that gun. I carry a 640.

It's 8 ounces heavier than the 642. So, I find it a little heavy for pocket carry in some pants/jackets. That's the only down side verses the 642. On the plus side, the extra weight makes for a better shooting gun. You'll also have the option of shooting .38 or .357 Mag.

I have considered the weight issue to. The new titaniums are much lighter but I would think more difficult to shoot particularly in .357. Not to mention the price difference. I am quite certain I am going to pull the trigger (pun intended) on the 640 deal. I am going to stop at Fishermans Corner in Duluth and see what he's got in his gun case today. And then over to Superior Shooters tomorrow. If I don't find what I am looking for there I will go for the 640.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:51 am 
Longtime Regular

Cobb:
Quote:
I own and carry a 642 on occasion

Is this the Cobb that I know? Is it a misprint?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:13 pm 
1911 tainted

westhope wrote:
Cobb:
Quote:
I own and carry a 642 on occasion

Is this the Cobb that I know? Is it a misprint?

Yes, a few weeks ago I was in a hurry and just grabbed the J frame and 2 extra speed loaders and I was out the door.

I was trying to practice diversity. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

The only thing that would keep me from buying a 640 for $400 would be if I could get a 649 for the same price.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.