Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:06 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Anyone carry a CZ82 in 9mm Makarov (9X18)? 
 Post subject: Anyone carry a CZ82 in 9mm Makarov (9X18)?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:23 pm 
On time out

Just curious because mine shoots flawlessly with great accuracy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:26 pm 
Longtime Regular

Yes. I carry it IWB, in a very thin leather holster. I have found it to be a quality gun at a very nice price.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'm anxiously awaiting my Curios & Relics FFL and the CZ82 is at the top of my list along with the K31 and the SKS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:45 am 
Longtime Regular

Ben at Classic Arms is my favorite vendor for that stuff.

Buy a 24/47 as well. I just received one one that's probably unfired for about $130. It's like a brand new rifle, As a shooter it better and more accurate than the K98's at three times the price.

I got a CZ52 as well. But I unknowingly bought machine gun ammo for that; it's too hot. Ejects the cartridge about 30 feet. Pistol is A1 though.

Now I need the CZ82 and some 9x18.

Last edited by Dick Unger on Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:18 am 
Longtime Regular

Dick Unger wrote:
I got a CZ52 as well. But I unlnowingly bought machine gun ammo for that; it's too hot. Ejects the cartridge about 30 feet. Pistol is A1 though.

The CZ52 actually carries quite well also. It is very flat. But, as anyone who owns one knows, it has an uncomfortable grip. I also has poor sights which make some believe the gun itself is inaccurate. That is not so, it is quite accurate and has a very stout action. Shooting that hot MG ammo must have made an impressive fireball! The standard loads are loud and colorful by themselves. :)

Note: If any damage were to be done by the hot loads it show first under the locking barrels. Look for cracks there.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:40 am 
On time out

I have a C&R license and currently own 6 CZ52's and a dozen Sks's along with many M1 Carbines and other various rifles and pistols.
That being said, I doubt that a CZ52 would be a good choice because of possible collateral damage during a shooting. The biggest complaint from the Czechs about the 7.62X25 round is over-penetration. Apparently this hot round travels at about 1400-1500 ft/second and this means the bullet can go through walls AFTER penetrating the perps body. Ideally, you want the bullet to remain in the body. This is why I plan to carry the CZ82 with 9X18 hollow point ammo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:51 am 
Longtime Regular

Over penetration is definitely a consideration with the FMJ, slightly more than 9mm FMJ. The hollow points open up fairly consistently and have similar penetration to 9mm +p in water jugs. They also tend to fragment and shed their jacket at first penetration.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:03 am 
Longtime Regular

My complaint with CZ52 is the mag release. I almost need a screwdriver to get it to drop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

I carry a Makarov mostly, and concur that fixed barrel/ simple blowback is a mighty reliable accurate platform.

Barnaul JHP's are my fav, but I have been carrying Hornandy JHPs lately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:08 pm 
On time out

Thanx for the feedback, guys. Our CCW instructor said that it looks better to authorities when you're carrying a medium caliber pistol. This way it appears that you aren't trying to blow anybody's head off along with the unlikeliness of collateral damage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

Who did you decide to go with?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:45 pm 
On time out

plblark wrote:
Who did you decide to go with?

Joe Penaz in Waconia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:59 am 
The Man

Magnum Mikie wrote:
Thanx for the feedback, guys. Our CCW instructor said that it looks better to authorities when you're carrying a medium caliber pistol. This way it appears that you aren't trying to blow anybody's head off along with the unlikeliness of collateral damage.
I don't want to know who your instructor is, but could you tell us what his basis for claiming that might have been? Or, if he didn't, could you get back to him, find out why he's saying such silly, unsupported things?

I went looking, some years ago, for a case where the issue of the caliber of the gun was, well, an issue at all. I couldn't find one, and I'm getting more and more sure that it's one of those urban gunshop myths.

I've got no objection to carrying a medium-caliber pistol; I'm usually found with a .38 snubby or .357 revolver, after all. I like medium caliber pistols.

But, sheesh, the notion that I'd be putting myself in the way of more trouble when I carry one of my .44 special snubbies, or -- as today -- a .45 ACP Kimber Ultra* is just plain silly.

Argh.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:12 am 
Longtime Regular

Sorry I didn't get back to this earlier Mike.

I had a similar thought about intermediate cartridges. I guess it's a conservative way to play the cards but I strongly suspect it wouldn't be decisive in court.

I think legally, a good defense lawyer* could take that argument apart.

Lawyer:"What led you to choose the particular firearm and cartridge for self defense?"
Me: "It's the one I'm most accurate and comfortable with"

I could even see a .454 revolver being redirected as: "It's the round and firearm I was sure I could defend myself with using the fewest shots and the least risk to those around me." Make the stopping power a feature, not a bug. See, I use the stopping force so I don't have to fire as many rounds and invite Mr. Murphy in to mess with any unintended shot placement.

The comment struck me as opinion as opposed to gospel truth. It may just be something that stuck out at you from the class but if there are more of those nuggets misunderstood as hard facts, there could be some confusion.

If you know anyone with a copy of Everything You Need to Know About (Legally) Carrying a Handgun in Minnesota, it'd be worth borrowing. I've owned multiple copies and can't keep them on my bookshelf because I keep loaning or giving them out. It's a good book and handles all the elements well. That's not kissing up, I'd say the same if Hillary Clinton were the author. (Of course, I might buy it in a way to make sure SHE got as little benefit as possible from it)

There are so many things involved with Carrying, it's a good thing to learn as much as you can and try to learn from diverse sources.

I generally end up with a pocket .357 these days. just fits more modes of dress and activities for me. I've been known to carry a compact .40 or a 1911 in .45ACP. I'm even considering a Ruger LCP in .380. For me, it's about what works to conceal given the situation. each firearm I carry fills a niche and each has its purpose.

*I remember making a holster for some guy wanting an IWB for a HUGE hunk of wheelie gun metal. Nice gun and a fun challenge to form around.

**Marc Berris, Brian Toder, etc coming to mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:26 am 
On time out

Hi Joel,
Thanks for your highly valued opinion. Without putting words in my instructor's mouth, I gathered that collateral damage was the center of conversation when the instructor was asked about choice of caliber. Someone in the class asked about carrying a .41 magnum revolver. The instructors first comment was "accountability for a spent round". If a situation arises where deadly force is warranted, you don't want the bullet passing through the perp and then passing through a innocent bystander. Apparently it's ideal when the round remains inside the perp such as the expanding capabilities of a hollow point.

Someone also mentioned the "noise factor". I doubt very many permit holders wear muffs or ear plugs when carrying a powerful hand cannon.

Being a piano tuner, I would prefer not destroying my ear drums shooting a powerful, large caliber revolver. Of course, that's just my own personal opinion.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.