Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:15 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 How much "jamming" is normal? 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:13 pm 

If you're shooting Remington UMC, you're shooting a light load ammo. Try Winchester White Box or something with a little more omph.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:15 pm 

NOOO!!!!!! NOT THE WHITE BOX!!! ANYTHING BUT THE WHITE BOX!!!!!!

In all seriousness though, the white box has recently become so filthy that I can't shoot it any more. I've actually switched to the Remington UMC, and am very happy with it for target ammo.

Protect yourself and the ones you love.

NRA Certified Instructor
MADFI Certified Instructor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:04 am 
Longtime Regular

Trade it in on a Sig - Jamming problem cured (unless you shoot that Wolf steel case junk) Once when trying to demo how to clear a jam to my BIL, I tried to make it jam by limp wristing, off hand shooting, and actually pulling back when firing (ultimate limp writing) It did not jam!

At the last IDPA match at Minnetonka Gun & Fish, one of the stages was off hand shooting around a barricade. Saw more jams then ever before - YES even a Glock jammed (right after the guy said how reliable it was... :twisted: ) Sigs had NO issues - :lol:

For target practice I buy what ever is cheapest on the shelf (cept Wolf steel)

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:48 pm 
Longtime Regular

When I first bought my SA 1911A1 it jammed quite often during the first 100 rounds, even after cleaning.

My guess is that I was wiping off 'too much' of the gun oil and that the weapon was 'too dry', therefore not allowing the slide to return to battery after some shots.

Since then, I've ran a couple hundred more rounds through it, lubing it often and cleaning it after each box of 100 rounds.

Took it to the range last weekend and she performed flawlessly!...without additional lube. I think that maybe she's finally 'broke in'. 8)

In the next month or so, I'll keep lubing it often and cleaning it after each box of 100 rounds when I take her to the range.

After I've shot maybe 600-800 rounds through it with no more jams, I'll consider it to be reliable enough to carry........once I get my permit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

About 1000 rounds through my SA Champion (4" barrel) lightweight operator. Never a single jam while firing. Cleaned after every trip to the range.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

SultanOfBrunei wrote:
About 1000 rounds through my SA Champion (4" barrel) lightweight operator. Never a single jam while firing. Cleaned after every trip to the range.

Sure, rub it in....

(I'm drooling over that model and hoping to get one this summer).

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:55 pm 
Journeyman Member

Have put over 400 rounds thru my XD9 Compact, had one jam. Previously had a Tauras 9mm that jammed constantly, especially when my wife fired it, the guy at Bill's attributed that to limp wrist on her part. My XD has never jammed when she was firing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:07 pm 

sig 229 .40 and a kimber compact .45 Neither have ever jammed. These were my first and second guns purchased, based upon reliability I had read about when researching a carry gun. If I ever have an uber tactical moment and *need* to draw my gun, I would sure not want to know that it *ever* failed to perform 100%. What is a few hundred dollars when it comes to reliability in either ammunition or gun?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:01 am 

Get rid of that nickel plated sissy pistol and get yourself a Glock!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

Not too worried about jamming with the one I just got today. S&W Model 60. :D

Family members who give me guns rock. :lol:

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:23 am 

If it is a P-95 send us your barrel and we'll make the jamming problem go away. The ramp on some production runs of the P-95's were cut with a double-angle and it causes jamming/stovepiping. We've had several P95's thru here that had the same problem, they worked about 90-95% of the time and were really picky about ammo. We do a recut and polish of the ramp (takes about 20 minutes) and they work flawlessly. I was really disappointed to see how bad Ruger's QC was with that :?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: So many questions...So many comments!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:01 am 
Journeyman Member

Allright thanks everyone for that input. I'll try to answer questions here:

First of all this is a P-95 (P-95DC to be exact) 9mm Sorry about throwing that S in there.

This is my RANGE gun. I carry a S&W 642 .38 special and that gun is perfect for carry.

Quote:
What type of ammunition were you using?

Ammo was Winchester white box approx 113 grain. I'm not at home so I am not sure about other specifics.

Quote:
New or Used gun?
Break In period or not?

This is a brand-new gun. I'm not sure what the official break-in period is, but this was only my second time at the range with this gun.

Quote:
Cleaning too often?
Too much oil on the slide and barrel causing excessive fouling?...

I've only cleaned it once and I am pretty careful to not over-oil and also I always run a dry wipe through the barrel. The jam seems to be that the cartridge doesn't align with the barrel perfectly, so it does not go all the way in the barrel.

Quote:
Limp wristing is a possibility

Yes, I suppose it is since I've only been shooting for 4 months and only been shooting semi autos for 2 weeks! I assume that this means I should focus on holding the gun more firmly when shooting.

Quote:
Get rid of that nickel plated sissy pistol and get yourself a Glock!

:lol: All in due time my friend! Budget concerns yadda yadda yadda.

Quote:
If it is a P-95 send us your barrel and we'll make the jamming problem go away. The ramp on some production runs of the P-95's were cut with a double-angle and it causes jamming/stovepiping. We've had several P95's thru here that had the same problem, they worked about 90-95% of the time and were really picky about ammo. We do a recut and polish of the ramp (takes about 20 minutes) and they work flawlessly

Thanks for the offer - if none of the above solutions help I will do so. What would the price be for that? Do I have to ship through an FFL or can I ship direct?

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:10 am 

Just send the barrel, we've done so many of them damn P-95 barrels we could do that ramp job blindfolded anymore. Toss in $5 for return shipping and we'll fix the ramp at no cost (it is that easy to do)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Jamming not normal
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:56 pm 

If the gun is new out of box verse new to you, I would not accept any jams.

Assuming the gun is cleaned and lubed, you are using good ammo and not limp wristing it, there is a problem with gun.

On cleaning make sure you clean the hook of the extractor, build up on the inside edge can cause it not to fully extract the cartridge.

Could be recoil spring, ejector, extractor, or magazine or a combination of them. Take it back and let the dealer make it right.

That said, I have a 45 year old ruger 22 that only likes a particular type of ammo. I'd take it in but it has more sentimental value than to risk some smith putting a scratch on it.

The other 6 semi's run 100%. In fact I just got back from a shooting class and in 3 days we shot over 1000 rounds, no failures at all on my gun. Can't say the same for almost everyone else in the class.

Post subject: Methinks it was the wrist!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:11 am 
Journeyman Member

Hey all,
OK Wednesday I went and had much better luck. I shot 100 rounds of the winchester white box without any jamming at all. Then I shot 100 rounds of some green-box Czechoslovakian ammo and only two jammed (one of them was the first one after me pulling the slide back). So now we are down to a 2% jam rate.

I was concentrating on holding my arms and wrists steady! :x In fact I was a veritable statue, man! So, that must have been a big part of the problem.

Anyway, thanks for all of the suggestions, hopefully it will keep getting better. If it doesn't I think I will take King Armory up on their services.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.