Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:56 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 How much "jamming" is normal? 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:14 am 

Even if it does continue to get better, it sounds like that's a known problem. I might take King up on his offer. You can't beat the price for the mod...

Protect yourself and the ones you love.

NRA Certified Instructor
MADFI Certified Instructor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:19 am 
Longtime Regular

nmat wrote:
Even if it does continue to get better, it sounds like that's a known problem.

To be honest, it's more like buying a brand new car or pickup. There is a 'break-in period'.

It takes the willingness to spend a few bucks on decent ammo and take your butt to the range and practice.

This serves two fold.........
    1. It 'breaks the gun in'.
    2. The amount of range time gets YOU used to the gun.

There's nothing better that a dependable gun and a reliable/well trained operator. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:09 am 
Longtime Regular

How much jamming is normal? ZERO after the first 250 rounds.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:06 am 

Hunter07 wrote:
nmat wrote:
Even if it does continue to get better, it sounds like that's a known problem.

To be honest, it's more like buying a brand new car or pickup. There is a 'break-in period'.

It takes the willingness to spend a few bucks on decent ammo and take your butt to the range and practice.

This serves two fold.........
    1. It 'breaks the gun in'.
    2. The amount of range time gets YOU used to the gun.
There's nothing better that a dependable gun and a reliable/well trained operator. :wink:

The problem I mentioned doesn't go away after the break-in period, its an improper machining operation causing the problem. Most of the P95's work fine right out of the box since the slide more or less rides on plastic in the frame, not exactly any bind points :wink: Take a look in the ejection port, if the ramp has two seperate machined angles it won't get better, if it has one then there is something else keeping it from working right.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:32 am 
Longtime Regular

dmr-22 wrote:
Last year I was wondering if I could jam my glock 35 (Range Only) so I stopped cleaning it. I would estimate I’m at about 7000 rounds. I’ll let you know if it ever jams.

I am some where around 35-40k rounds in an XD without cleaning and without a fault, other then a new shooter limp wristing it. I expect that you will have similar results.

Post subject: Must have been break-in + Limp-wristing
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:49 pm 
Journeyman Member

Hey all,

I've been to the range 3 times and haven't had a jam since! I'm thinking this was break-in period and some limp-wristing on my part.

I appreciate the input from everyone! I am considering this problem SOLVED.

Happy Shooting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:46 am 

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Wait a sec... There is no SP-95. Is it a P-95 or an SR-9?

If it's an SR-9, it's subject to a recall -- http://www.ruger.com/SR9Recall/ -- and if it's a P95, it's pretty unlikely that the problem is the gun. :)

There is also a KP-95, but if your using wolf ammo or something it could be that, but if your using decent ammo im guessing its a user error, I have a springfield XD and i cant get the gun to jam (not that i want it too).

Did you buy it new??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:54 am 
Longtime Regular

Yeah, my P-95's official model name is KP-95DC, but even Ruger's web site just calls them P95s.

And like most Rugers, mine eats Wolf -- or any other ammo -- just fine. :)

TeamSpringFieldXD wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:
Wait a sec... There is no SP-95. Is it a P-95 or an SR-9?

If it's an SR-9, it's subject to a recall -- http://www.ruger.com/SR9Recall/ -- and if it's a P95, it's pretty unlikely that the problem is the gun. :)

There is also a KP-95, but if your using wolf ammo or something it could be that, but if your using decent ammo im guessing its a user error, I have a springfield XD and i cant get the gun to jam (not that i want it too).

Did you buy it new??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:00 pm 

Srigs wrote:

Riiight...

Every semi-automatic pistol; every single one will jam at some point and I don't mean under extraordinary circumstances.

No mechanical system is 100% error free. Not one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

If you keep your gun clean and shoot quality ammo, jamming more than once in every 250 rounds is abnormal for a good gun. Not unheard of, but abnormal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:52 pm 
1911 tainted

Andrew Rothman wrote:
If you keep your gun clean and shoot quality ammo, jamming more than once in every 250 rounds is abnormal for a good gun. Not unheard of, but abnormal.

Nope, just not a good gun and I don't care what name is on it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:49 am 
Longtime Regular

Dave Pendleton wrote:
Srigs wrote:

Riiight...

Every semi-automatic pistol; every single one will jam at some point and I don't mean under extraordinary circumstances.

No mechanical system is 100% error free. Not one.

So far all my S&W semi autos and half my Kel-tecs have never had a failure to fire, eject or extract. So I have at least 4 semis and 2 revolvers that are 100%. These are the ones I carry. Note: Good manufacture mags are very important so no cheap ones for me.

Three reasons people have jams with semi autos are limp wristing, bad ammo or broken parts (extractor, mag spring...). My 2 cents.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:57 am 

IMO it probably is true that every gun will fail eventually. If you use it enough the springs (if not other parts) will just start to wear out and need servicing.

I used to think of my Kimber as being uber reliable after shooting it for around 4000 consecutive rounds of factory ammo and SWC reloads over the course of a couple years without malfunction. Then late last year I had a couple failures to feed. This told me it was probably time for new springs. So after installing new recoil and mag springs I have put several hundred rounds through it again without malfunctuion and hope that it will be good for another 4000 rounds or so. To sum up, if you shoot it enough it will eventually fail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

Sounds like we mostly agree. Malfunctions should be extremely rare and have clear and reparable causes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:56 pm 
1911 tainted

If a firearm starts to fail after several thousand rounds with no maintenance, well that is to be expected. Yes, a firearm can plain wear out, just like a car, doing things like flushing the radiator, inspecting and installing new brake pads, etc., a firearm needs things like springs replaced as a preventative measure to get as much trouble free service as possible. I change the springs in all of my firearms, especially my carry weapons on a regular basis, I keep a log in the same binder that I keep my reloading information records.

Preventative maintenance will not guarantee a trouble free car or firearm, but it goes a long way in keeping both running, especially in times when they are really needed.

And I think we all agree, there are just plain lemons out there, no matter what it is.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.