Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:14 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 So I'm inflicted with the '1911 bug'..... 
 Post subject: So I'm inflicted with the '1911 bug'.....
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

A few months ago I bought a Springfield Armory 1911A1 'GI' model. Since day 1, I've been impressed with it and even more-so since I've got it 'broke in'.

Anyways, I'm kicking around the idea of buying (when I can afford to), the other 'sizes' of 1911's (in .45 acp only).......Commander, Compact, Long Slide....brand name doesn't really matter as long as it's an affordable, dependable gun.

I'm thinking of a Long Slide first. Anyone have any experience with them? Can you tell me the good, bad and ugly about them?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:05 am 
Longtime Regular

We need pics... you could always pick up a nice K-frame revolver ;)

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:49 am 
On time out

I really don't care for longslides, I had bought one many years ago when AMT made them, and it never really got to be a favorite, The gun worked but the balance was gone and it was sooooo slow to function. I much prefer comannder sizes, easy to conceal, fun to shoot, and dead nuts reliable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

I like the Commander size the best although the 5" is almost as easy to handle. Shorter than Commander and you need more maintenance to ensure reliability. Longer than "as designed" size and the cycle does slow down a bit and they don't have the same balance. I don't own a long slide but I've handled a number of them. To me, they just don't feel right.

As I've said before, although I own 1911's, I rarely ever carry one. They make great defensive weapons but I prefer high capacity plastic for carry. I don't mind a few scratches and normal wear and tear on a carry gun. My 1911's are just too nice to carry every day.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

Talked to a guy at a bowling pin match who had one of the AMT Hardballer long-slide models. He liked it, but said something to the effect that the 'Hardballer' was so called because that was the one kind of ammo it would work with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

Well... the Terminator didn't have a problem with Longslide 1911's...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:59 pm 
Longtime Regular

But he had a script and a Production Armorer :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

Arnie had one, I had to run out and buy one :D :D :D :D :D :D

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

Is the longslide's slowness something that could be fixed with a higher poundage recoil spring, or is it a different problem that makes them cycle slower?

Balance I guess I "get" but I was thinking the longer slide would have the effect of a barrel weight for follow up shots. Valid premise or no?

1911 are on my list, but'll be several purchases before I ask this question, nevertheless, it is a question I'd be asking in the future.

Curious, what draws Hunter07 to the Longslide?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:00 am 

Macx wrote:
Is the longslide's slowness something that could be fixed with a higher poundage recoil spring, or is it a different problem that makes them cycle slower?

I guess probably not. A heavier recoil spring might prevent proper cycling altogether. My guess is that the slower cycle is primarily because of the extra weight in the slide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

Macx wrote:
Curious, what draws Hunter07 to the Longslide?

Like I said in my original post of this thread, I've been 'bitten' by the 1911 bug and am interested in picking up at least one of each 'size' M1911A1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:04 pm 
On time out

Its also the angles involved in un locking the breach, because the pivot point (the bushing) is a lot further away, the link has to pull the barrel down further to unlock the barrel lugs and hood from the locking recesses of the slide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:48 pm 
Longtime Regular

Interesting. I am more a Makarov guy & spring changes are. . . pretty straightforward with predictable results. Long barrel conversions and heavier spring to compensate for increased velocity is fine for Maks . . . and apparently not all there is to getting a longslide 1911 to run right. Guess that is something else to love about simple blowback design.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:18 pm 
Longtime Regular

Srigs wrote:
We need pics... you could always pick up a nice K-frame revolver ;)

Dang, how'd I missed this chance to brag/show off? :? :P

Already had a nice revolver. :wink: Sold it because it's not practical (for me), anymore. Used the cash to buy the SA M1911A1 and some ammo. :wink:

Ruger Redhawk .44 mag w/7 1/2" bbl, Pachmyr grips.

Springfield Armory M1911A1 'GI' in .45acp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:45 pm 

I also had a fascination with a longslide 1911, and just didn't trust the AMT hardballer alone, so I luckily found (searched GB for almost a year) a like new condition AMT longslide 1911 stainless slide and barrel assembly and set out to mate it to a SA 1911 GI stainless lower. There was a fair amount of fitting involved, and I replaced the SA internals with Chip McCormick target trigger, speed hammer, sear and disconnector. Had to blend the back of the slide and frame as they did not match, (see below pics) but it turned out nice in the end. Also had some custom grips made, a custom made mid-length solid guide rod, and a fitted bbl bushing.

It cost a bit more than I planned, is not really concealable, but is a very reliable and accurate informal target shooter that gets it's share of looks at the range. I think it turned out nice for my first build.

BTW.... It is the extra weight/mass (7 inches) of the slide that slows the cycling/timing of the gun. It takes a little more 'umph' to get it moving back during recoil, and likewise back into battery.

It was a fun project and I enjoy shooting it. Good luck if you work on getting one or making one.

The slow blending of the back frame and slide (below) was the biggest challenge, but it turned out pretty nice.

Image Image

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.