Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:17 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 What to Carry? revolver, Semi-Auto?? 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:19 am 

Jay beat me to the fun - I was just going to answer "YES" and leave it at that! :)

jaysong wrote:
Not to sound like a "know it all" but you are all wrong. The answer is all of the above. :D

Ok, Ok, I admit I rarely have three on me, but do as I say not as I do. :P

Note:All previous post gave usefully info so thus affords me an opportunity to be a smart ass.

I don't know about the rest of the folks, but I seem to vary what I carry depending on mood and what my plans include. .38 or .380 in pocket some of the time, but lean toward the .45 on hip when wearing jeans and a loose cover shirt. I like the idea of the bigger boom in general, but appreciate the concealability and ease of carry with the smaller stuff, as well as the known reliability of the little revolver. I'm usually not keen on having a backup - it's heavy enough carrying around ONE hunk of metal containg even more lead! Now, having a knife of some sort for backup plan is more tolerable for me...

YMMV - so carry what you feel comfortable with.

jon

gun control means hitting where you aim!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:41 am 
On time out

Andrew, I wont name names, but a former MPLS public official who has a carry permit, recently had a DGU where no shots were fired, but clearly the situation of having a large capacity weapon played a part in diffusing the situation.

He was buy gas on Franklin, near Minnehaha, and saw three young women who were having trouble changing a tire. He offered to help, and while changing tires, looked up and there were four thugs talking to the girls, (completely unwelcomed by the girls) and He stood up when one of the goons grabbed one of the girls by the arm. One of the goons told him to leave, that they (the goons) would take good care of the girls, when my friend said, "ahhh, no!" Lead goon produced a knife, to which friend answered with a G23. Second goon makes a comment "do you really think you can get us all?" and the answer was "I have 16 rounds, thats 4 for each of you. " After a few seconds of standoff, the goons decided that the odds were not in their favor and slowly back off and begin to leave. At this time a MPLS Patrol car shows up and the goons take off running in four different directions.

Besides having three girls from Edina vow to never visit Augsburg University again, nothing happened, but my friend who works DT and Takes W river Road to work every day, was very clear in stating that the turning point came when he said he had 4 rounds for each, (which is a fib, but only one was going to get 4 the rest three, but they did not know that) He also states that working DT he is seeing more and more predators working in groups, and less and less the loner looking for that easy hit.

A J frame is a great gun when the odds are in your favor. I do not believe that the odds are going that way very often, and I believe that carrying 10 or more rounds on a daily basis is becoming prudent if you visit those areas where thug activity happens more frequently than the ex urbs., That does not mean a j frame and speed strip either, because the distance at which these events happen, its going to be ten rounds as fast as you can get them off and hope for a break to stuff a fresh mag in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:06 am 
Longtime Regular

Interesting story, but I'm reminded of the children's joke:

If there are 20 birds on the fence, and you shoot one, how many are left?

None. One will fall, and 19 will fly away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:14 am 
Longtime Regular

How about a semi-automatic revolver?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:38 am 
Longtime Regular

Sweet, a Mateba. You don't see them at our local range.
With that much mass and firing from the bottom cylinder chamber, they must shoot real nice.

"The attitude of people associating guns with nothing but crime, that is what has to be changed. I grew up at a time when people were not afraid of people with firearms." —Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia
Sierra Trading - Firearms Sales, Service and Training

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:03 am 
Longtime Regular

KonaSeven wrote:
DeanC wrote:
How about a semi-automatic revolver?
Sweet, a Mateba

SO thats what that is! I thought I was seeing things in one of Oleg Volk's CCW ads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:56 am 
The Man

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Interesting story, but I'm reminded of the children's joke:

If there are 20 birds on the fence, and you shoot one, how many are left?

None. One will fall, and 19 will fly away.
Yup.

There's no way to know, for sure, if all that extra capacity will be important. What I can say is that I've spent a fair amount of time looking at reports -- some of them credible -- of civilian DGUs, and I've found a grand total of one where more than five shots was clearly necessary (a jewelry store robbery, where a team of armed robbers came in intending to kill everybody and take the stuff), although a fairly larger number where more than five shots were fired.

In most DGUs though -- including this one -- no shot is fired, and while hearing about the additional rounds available may have persuaded the thugs to decamp, it's a safe bet that "Nah. I can only be sure to kill one or two of you. Who's volunteering?" would have had the same result.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:45 am 
On time out

add the one of the guy in Texas who dumped a whole mag of 45 into a guy wearing body armor out side the court house waiting for his ex wife.

There had the guy had a reload and reloaded before approaching the shooter, whom he believed to be down, he would have had a chance to finish him when the guy stood up and was looking the wrong way.

Going back to the story, NONE of the four thugs showed any sign of backing down until the leader said "F this." He believes at least one of the others had a gun, but never showed it, and they seemed very aware of where the CC camera's were and not presenting a good facial pic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:33 pm 
Longtime Regular

As we look at the statistics over the next few years, there will be more defensive incidents with high round counts, but it'll more often be because they have more rounds on tap than because they really needed them.

That's already true with the police; hardly anybody really needs 30 or 40 bullets to be stopped, but if that's what's on tap, that's what you're gonna get.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 4:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

In the warm weather I usually just carry a 642 in my pocket when out and about in my 'burb but when I go into the "Cities" I switch to a high cap auto. I probably don't need it, it just makes me feel better.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:32 pm 

So, how about a Sig 232?? Neat, compact.. I am not crazy about carrying off person - purse/backpack - I wanted something small easy to tuck away..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:29 am 

Andrew Rothman wrote:
A good exercise, when choosing a pistol based on capacity, is to look for instances where five or six shots was not enough for an individual to effectively defend herself.

Please show your work. :)

ValleyFair just last week. 8 "urban trubadors".

Bring enough ammo for everyone.

Ms. Mary wrote:
So, how about a Sig 232?? Neat, compact.. I am not crazy about carrying off person - purse/backpack - I wanted something small easy to tuck away..

I'm not crazy about .380. There are 9mm guns in that size that I would choose over the 232. Also, the 232 has a VERY high grip, and not much of a beavertail. Make sure you shoot one before you buy. I've been shooting a LONG time, and know not to get things in the way of the slide, and almost lost a chunk of my hand the first time I shot one.

Other than that, if you're comfortable with 380, the Sig is a wonderful gun. Sig reliability, and available in that cool rainbow finish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:44 am 

VikesFan wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:
A good exercise, when choosing a pistol based on capacity, is to look for instances where five or six shots was not enough for an individual to effectively defend herself.

Please show your work. :)

ValleyFair just last week. 8 "urban trubadors".

Bring enough ammo for everyone.

Ms. Mary wrote:

I'm not crazy about .380. There are 9mm guns in that size that I would choose over the 232. Also, the 232 has a VERY high grip, and not much of a beavertail. Make sure you shoot one before you buy. I've been shooting a LONG time, and know not to get things in the way of the slide, and almost lost a chunk of my hand the first time I shot one.

Other than that, if you're comfortable with 380, the Sig is a wonderful gun. Sig reliability, and available in that cool rainbow finish.
I carry my G30, 9 in the mag, 1 in the chamber.

I get the idea it would only take putting one of them out of the game for the others to run away crying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:11 am 

I carry my G30, 9 in the mag, 1 in the chamber.

I get the idea it would only take putting one of them out of the game for the others to run away crying.

I am not familiar with G30.. could you tell me more??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:37 am 
Longtime Regular

The Glock 30 is a sub-compact .45 ACP. They come with 10 round magazines for a total of 11 rounds and you can get a 9 round magazine for slightly easier concealment. They will also accept the 13 round G21 magazine which will stick out the bottom quite a ways but good for a reload when attacked by a crowd of crazed zombies.

Here is a picture of mine. This is my usual carry although I sometimes carry a S&W 642 in my pocket.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.