Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:25 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 What to Carry? revolver, Semi-Auto?? 
 Post subject: What to Carry? revolver, Semi-Auto??
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:50 am 

I just passed my class and turned in my app, so shortly here ill be able to carry but im debating what to carry.

I have a Taurus 85 .38 revolver (5 shot, single and double action)

SpringField XD-9 which i plan to carry, i bought a Fobus Paddle Holster which isnt the most concealable

I also have a Sig-Sauer p225 which i bought used?

Whats the best carry of the 3, also what kind a holster would you recommend to conceal the 38 good? Any info will help!

Post subject: Re: What to Carry? revolver, Semi-Auto??
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:07 am 
The Man

TeamSpringFieldXD wrote:
I just passed my class and turned in my app, so shortly here ill be able to carry but im debating what to carry.

SpringField XD-9 which i plan to carry, i bought a Fobus Paddle Holster which isnt the most concealable

Whats the best carry of the 3, also what kind a holster would you recommend to conceal the 38 good? Any info will help!
Assuming you can shoot all of them adequately, I'd recommend the Taurus in a pocket holster, for all the reasons I go on about at length, both in class and here.

My second choice would be the XD; my third choice would be the Sig.

Were the question "Which will I be likely to have most fun with at the range?" I'd put them in precisely the reverse order.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: What to Carry? revolver, Semi-Auto??
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:03 pm 

joelr wrote:
TeamSpringFieldXD wrote:

Assuming you can shoot all of them adequately, I'd recommend the Taurus in a pocket holster, for all the reasons I go on about at length, both in class and here.

My second choice would be the XD; my third choice would be the Sig.

Were the question "Which will I be likely to have most fun with at the range?" I'd put them in precisely the reverse order.

While I agree with Joel that having the 38 in the pocket is better than being unarmed, I would perfer to have an XD as my primary carry gun because of it's higher capacity. Many advocate having a primary gun and carrying a 38 in your pocket for back-up, not my cup of tea though.

RTK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:43 pm 
Longtime Regular

A good exercise, when choosing a pistol based on capacity, is to look for instances where five or six shots was not enough for an individual to effectively defend herself.

Please show your work. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:09 pm 

Andrew Rothman wrote:
A good exercise, when choosing a pistol based on capacity, is to look for instances where five or six shots was not enough for an individual to effectively defend herself.

What if I were to be caught off-guard by a zombie horde? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

atripp wrote:
What if I were to be caught off-guard by a zombie horde? :D

Pistols will not be your friend when WWZ* starts. I'd rather have a shovel.

*World War Z

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
what kind a holster would you recommend to conceal the 38 good?

You will not go wrong with a pocket holster for the 38. No cover garment needed in summer. The disadvantage to any pocket holster is that it is a little slower on the draw than a hip holster.

DeSantis, Mika and Uncle Mikes. (My preference in that order. I have all of them.) For the $15 to $20 they cost they are well worth the money.

Be aware, pocket carry of a J-frame may spoil you for other types of carry. Just too convenient.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

Not to sound like a "know it all" but you are all wrong. The answer is all of the above. :D

Ok, Ok, I admit I rarely have three on me, but do as I say not as I do. :P

Note:All previous post gave usefully info so thus affords me an opportunity to be a smart ass.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:26 pm 

Andrew Rothman wrote:

I was thinking along the lines of having to deal with more than one problem at a given time.

RTK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:50 pm 

I know I'm stating the obvious but just for the record....

Before a proper reply can be given, additional questions must be addressed:
1) Which can you handle / shoot (accurately) the best?
2) Which operates most reliably for you?
3) Which will you practice with?
4) Which is/are reasonably comfortable for you to carry?
8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

Why not carry all three if you want... you can. Carry one of each just for some variety. :wink:

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:41 am 

JonL wrote:
I know I'm stating the obvious but just for the record....

Before a proper reply can be given, additional questions must be addressed:
1) Which can you handle / shoot (accurately) the best?
2) Which operates most reliably for you?
3) Which will you practice with?
4) Which is/are reasonably comfortable for you to carry?
8)

I have a lot of experience with all 3 (at least 1000 rounds through each) i have a lot more guns but these are the 3 i feel comfortable with to carry, i should've been more detailed. That's why i asked between the 3, i know the .38 is the best concealed, but is it the best carry weapon?? I do love it, i just need a good holster (any recommendations?).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:29 pm 

FWIW... Free advice (especially from me) is often worth what you pay for it, but having said that--
I believe that even though you'll likely never NEED to use it, if you do, time will not be your friend. For that reason it should be the one you're most accurate with (under stress). Many folks here have emphasized the need to practice regularly. That makes sense to me-- if you're going to carry.

So, the obvious choice seems to be the one you'll be comfortable carrying and that you'll most likely hit what you'll be shooting at. The gun you don't carry can't help you and not hitting the right target won't help much, no matter the size of the bullet. In the end you have to make that decision.

There is a line from "The Lord of the Rings" that comes to mind: "It is said never ask an elf for advice for he will both say yes and no!"

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:34 am 
Longtime Regular

TeamSpringFieldXD wrote:
i know the .38 is the best concealed, but is it the best carry weapon?? I do love it, i just need a good holster (any recommendations?).

Mika's pocket holster: www.frontiernet.net/~akim/
He's very easy to deal with and it's a nice holster.

Srigs of http://www.sideguardholsters.com/ makes a complete line of functional, reasonably priced holsters. It's always nice to support the local guy. It's even easier when his product is reliable and the customer service is good.

They're right about pocket revolvers spoiling you. When I don't want to put on a holster or deal with concealing too much, it's usually what I default to. The other advantage is that a revolver is much more "organic" looking. only one thick spot (the cylinder) but that's not too big and the outline doesn't generally look like a "gun" unless it's VERY obvious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:42 am 

Carry the XD OWB/IWB strong side, the 38 as a BUG pocket gun.

That's what I do, so you should too. :lol:

MM

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.