Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:54 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 What to Carry? revolver, Semi-Auto?? 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:45 am 

I carry both, I have a colt new agent iwb and a smith 360sc on my ankle..just in case :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:41 am 

I must say I like the looks of it... I think I will need to try Bills and see if they have one to try..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:04 am 

Ms. Mary wrote:
I must say I like the looks of it... I think I will need to try Bills and see if they have one to try..
If they don't, let me know. I would be willing to meet you and let you try mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:50 pm 

Lady Glock wrote:
Ms. Mary wrote:
If they don't, let me know. I would be willing to meet you and let you try mine.

That would be great.. I will give them a call and pm you if they can't accomodate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:37 pm 

Andrew Rothman wrote:
A good exercise, when choosing a pistol based on capacity, is to look for instances where five or six shots was not enough for an individual to effectively defend herself.

Please show your work. :)

Anyone who has been reading forums like this one for more than a month or two (that'd be me), has read enough of these discussions to know that it is extremely rare for more than the 5-6 shots immediately available in a revolver to be needed. My thinking on the matter goes along these lines - can I guarantee that I'll never need more than the 5 .380 rounds in my M&P 340 or 642 (haven't decided which to get yet)? Since the answer is "no", I choose to carry a Glock 19 with at least one 17 round spare mag (more for potential magazine failures than for the extra 17 rounds).

Having said that, my preferred mode of carry will be a .380 in the pocket in addition to the G19 on the hip, with the .380 more likely to "see action" than the Glock.

And having said all that, I don't actually carry at all yet as I don't have a permit. I have thought an awful lot about what I plan on doing and the above is it. I won't be at all surprised if my habits vary from the above as carrying becomes more routine, and I won't be shocked if I eventually carry only the .380 in many, if not most situations. We'll see.

To summarize - there's no guarantee you won't ever need more than 5 rounds, so I can't fault anyone for wishing to do so, despite the almost total lack of evidence showing any need to do so statistically.

"It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:35 pm 

JGalt wrote:
To summarize - there's no guarantee you won't ever need more than 5 rounds, so I can't fault anyone for wishing to do so, despite the almost total lack of evidence showing any need to do so statistically.

Statistically, you'll never need a gun, therefore the number of rounds carried supported by the "average number of rounds needed in a firefight" is kind of a silly arguement.

IMO, carry the best gun possible for the situation. I'm a firm believer that there isn't one gun that fits all situations perfectly. I pocket carry a 642 the majority of time in the summer where I'm wearing shorts. However, if I'm going to a place where I'm less confident of that getting the job done (large crowds, crappy parts of town) or I'm not required to pocket carry because of clothing, I will grab a full size semi-auto and carry that.

The best thing to carry is the biggest gun with the most capacity that you can comfortably carry in a given situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:43 pm 
Longtime Regular

I carry two most of the time. It is good to have a New York reload.

You can be like Chow Young Fat and go two handed shooting ;)

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:31 pm 

I picked up a Ruger LCP at the Hastings show yesterday.. Nice conceal piece.. Now just waiting for Washington Cty to issue my permit.. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

I like the LCP. It's an always there gun. But man does it have a rigger pull that's long. I mean the size of Texas long. My index fingernail is almost through my thumb joint by the time it finally breaks.

It's possible to have 3 touching holes at 21 feet but it takes a LOT of time and concentration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
It's possible to have 3 touching holes at 21 feet but it takes a LOT of time and concentration.

Mine can't do that. Must be the gun. :oops: [/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:09 pm 

plblark wrote:
I like the LCP. It's an always there gun. But man does it have a rigger pull that's long. I mean the size of Texas long. My index fingernail is almost through my thumb joint by the time it finally breaks.

Sounds like I will need to take it to the range and practice... Thanks for the heads up :roll:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.