Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:33 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 S&W 686 Question 
 Post subject: S&W 686 Question
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:40 am 

So I finally gave in and purchased a revolver. S&W 686 with the night sights. Nice piece, but I'm still not sure I believe the idea that revolvers are better.

Anyway, at the BBQ yesterday, some folks suggested I change the spring to make it a little nicer trigger pull. Where should I look for a new spring? How easy is this to do, really? Keep in mind, the most I've done is assemble the lower assembly of an AR, not exactly rocket science. Any good sites to point me towards? Is this even a good idea?

Thanks

Protect yourself and the ones you love.

NRA Certified Instructor
MADFI Certified Instructor

Post subject: Re: S&W 686 Question
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:23 am 
The Man

nmat wrote:
So I finally gave in and purchased a revolver. S&W 686 with the night sights. Nice piece, but I'm still not sure I believe the idea that revolvers are better.

Anyway, at the BBQ yesterday, some folks suggested I change the spring to make it a little nicer trigger pull. Where should I look for a new spring? How easy is this to do, really? Keep in mind, the most I've done is assemble the lower assembly of an AR, not exactly rocket science. Any good sites to point me towards? Is this even a good idea?

Thanks
I haven't done a spring change with a 686, but I've done more than half a dozen with other S&Ws and Tauruses; it's easy.

Pretty straightforward: buy the Wolff Springs set, start out with the wimpiest replacement spring, and test it out with the hardest-primer rounds you can, switching upwards if you need to until you get 100% ignition.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: S&W 686 Question
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:26 am 

nmat wrote:

Thanks

there are many places you can buy these parts for revolvers. they are usually sold as kits that include a few springs. the only ones i have used are wilson kits: http://www.wilsoncombat.com/a_spring_ct_revolver.asp

there are however may places that make and sell them. i love the wilson spring kit i got. the revolver still has a long pull but it reduces the weight a great deal, from 12 to 8 pounds (roughly), and it is completely butter smooth.

if you aren't too comfortable pulling apart a revolver, most gunsmiths can drop one of these kits in for you at a pretty low cost. turnaround time on something like a drop in spring kit should be bad at all, a day or two tops i'd think.

good luck sir!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:51 am 
Longtime Regular

Brownells, has everything (and more) you need. Call me, I have the tools to do the job, you can come over and do it yourself.

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:19 am 

Selurcspi wrote:
Brownells, has everything (and more) you need. Call me, I have the tools to do the job, you can come over and do it yourself.

this is extremely kind of you. would i be able to talk you into extending that offer to me as well? i have one more revolver getting a spring kit by the end of the month. i typically just have a smith do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:23 am 
Longtime Regular

For a bunch of paranoid, gun-toting crazies, there sure are some nice, helpful folks here. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:24 am 
Longtime Regular

one must always be helpful when being watched. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:27 am 

mnglocker wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:29 am 
The Man

mnglocker wrote:
Yup. But -- and I know you're just kidding -- even when you don't think you're being watched, being helpful can have additional benefits beyond the karma:

Quote:
Twin Cities Carry also does not support vigilante viewpoints either. Shortly before the screening the group took action in a stalker situation and did so without involving guns, weapons or personal assault*. They familiarized themselves with laws and actions within the law. Could folks who are not gun advocates do the same? Yes, but do we?

* It took me a few minutes working out which instance Roseivy was talking about; it wasn't the first or the last time that that sort of thing has happened.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:38 am 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
mnglocker wrote:
Yup. But -- and I know you're just kidding

I didn't even think about that, it's the guberment I'm worried about. :tinfoil: :lol:

And actually, when OC'ing it is wise to behave in a friendly manner, because you are representing all gun owners at that point.

Last edited by mnglocker on Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:38 am 
Longtime Regular

Duane J wrote:
Selurcspi wrote:

this is extremely kind of you. would i be able to talk you into extending that offer to me as well? i have one more revolver getting a spring kit by the end of the month. i typically just have a smith do it.

Sure, If both of you get the kits, we can take an hour and get both jobs done.

You guys are killing my gunsmithing business :wink: :wink: :wink:

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:18 am 

Andrew Rothman wrote:
For a bunch of paranoid, gun-toting crazies, there sure are some nice, helpful folks here. ;)
I have to agree!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:33 pm 

Selurcspi wrote:
Duane J wrote:
Selurcspi wrote:

Sure, If both of you get the kits, we can take an hour and get both jobs done.

You guys are killing my gunsmithing business :wink: :wink: :wink:

Thank you very much for the invitation. I don't have the tools, and this is a completely new area to me, so I would appreciate the help.

Protect yourself and the ones you love.

NRA Certified Instructor
MADFI Certified Instructor

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.