Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:26 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Hornady CD Hillbilly Ballistics Test 
 Post subject: Hornady CD Hillbilly Ballistics Test
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:24 am 

So my Hornady CD .380 Auto for my new LCP finally came in from cabelas after being backordered for 3 or 4 weeks so I went out to the range last night armed with a couple water jugs. I had 1 jug (they were the 2.5 gallon things with the spiget) set the long way and the other one behind it perpendicular to the first giving be about 16 inches of water. I thought this would be enough to stop a little 380....wrong. I shot 2 rounds in to the jugs and went around to the back side only to see water pouring out. I quickly turned the rear jug so it was the long way as well and pumped 2 more rounds in to them. That was enough to stop them. Overall, I was very impressed with the penetration (over 16 inches obviously). Expansion seemed to be consistent (between 2 rounds). I measured the initial diameter to be .354 inches and post firing I got .426 and .441 for an expansion of about 20% and 25%. Not as much as I was expecting, but I assume they keep expansion down to gain penetration. Either way, I was very imressed with both expansion and penetration and have them loaded up now as my carry. The next stepp will be dressing the jugs in clothing to test the pre-plugged hollow-point design. Let me know if you have any other thoguhts.

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:32 am 
Longtime Regular

Cool! But what's an LCP?

"Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ unknown

Never been tazered. (yet).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:42 am 

The Ruger version of Keltec's P3AT pocket gun

http://www.ruger.com/LCP/index.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:44 am 
Longtime Regular

It sounds like you have found an effective water-jug stopping round. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:48 am 
Longtime Regular

SoMN40S&W wrote:
The Ruger version of Keltec's P3AT pocket gun

http://www.ruger.com/LCP/index.html

Thanks. I think it's nicer looking than my KelTec P3AT.

"Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ unknown

Never been tazered. (yet).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:55 am 

Yea, i think the fit and finish is a little better. I have about 200-250 rounds through it with no problems. And, Andrew, yes, I went back in to Walmat last night and the water jugs were cowering on the shelves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:56 am 
Longtime Regular

http://www.boxotruth.com/

I think he has a conversion for density of water to density of ballistic gelatin to approximate penetration in an attacker. It's a good sight. Not scientific but a lot closer than most people's guesses :-)

[edit: :oops: Tman065 (no relation to the Tman in the story) reminded me my link was broken and to "get the "f" outta there" :LOL :lol: :oops: - Link fixed]

Last edited by plblark on Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:57 am 
The Man

Yup. Very cool, and sounds like about as much fun as a guy can have with his clothes on.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:02 am 
Longtime Regular

Sadly, his friend and photographer, T-Man, Died recently. It's my goal to one day have a friend that good who remembers me and eulogizes me as eloquently as OP did for his buddy T-Man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:32 am 
Longtime Regular

plblark wrote:
Sadly, his friend and photographer, T-Man, Died recently. It's my goal to one day have a friend that good who remembers me and eulogizes me as eloquently as OP did for his buddy T-Man.

I agree, it would be nice to have a friend like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:07 pm 
On time out

plblark wrote:

You need to buy more people beers and bring more guns to the range to share to get to that point

Post subject: Re: Hornady CD Hillbilly Ballistics Test
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

SoMN40S&W wrote:
So my Hornady CD .380 Auto for my new LCP finally came in from cabelas after being backordered for 3 or 4 weeks so I went out to the range last night armed with a couple water jugs. I had 1 jug (they were the 2.5 gallon things with the spiget) set the long way and the other one behind it perpendicular to the first giving be about 16 inches of water. I thought this would be enough to stop a little 380....wrong. I shot 2 rounds in to the jugs and went around to the back side only to see water pouring out. I quickly turned the rear jug so it was the long way as well and pumped 2 more rounds in to them. That was enough to stop them. Overall, I was very impressed with the penetration (over 16 inches obviously). Expansion seemed to be consistent (between 2 rounds). I measured the initial diameter to be .354 inches and post firing I got .426 and .441 for an expansion of about 20% and 25%. Not as much as I was expecting, but I assume they keep expansion down to gain penetration. Either way, I was very imressed with both expansion and penetration and have them loaded up now as my carry. The next stepp will be dressing the jugs in clothing to test the pre-plugged hollow-point design. Let me know if you have any other thoguhts.

ImageImage

Interesting thread and results. Keep us posted.

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

plblark wrote:
http://www.boxotruth.com/

I think he has a conversion for density of water to density of ballistic gelatin to approximate penetration in an attacker. It's a good sight. Not scientific but a lot closer than most people's guesses :-)

[edit: :oops: Tman065 (no relation to the Tman in the story) reminded me my link was broken and to "get the "f" outta there" :LOL :lol: :oops: - Link fixed]

Link is still bad plblark.
Here is the correct one:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:42 am 

I can't recall ever having a group of water jugs surrounding me and demanding that I hand over my wallet, and then stomping the crap out of me just for the fun of it, but then again, water is NOT allowed in the EFFEN Gopher Bar, either.

The one thing this does prove, and this is very good news for people carrying guns in this caliber, is that small caliber bullet design has IMPROVED TREMENDOUSLY in the last 20 - 40 years. Used to be a hollowpoint was a solid bullet with a hole drilled in the tip, and in a 32 or 380 the bullet wouldn't expand for diddly squat in real life situations. Today's "pre-expanded" Gold Dot design will reliably mushroom very symmentrically as your pictures show. The only question is how will these bullets expand if they have to go through a heavy leather coat before hitting human tissue. That was a huge issue back in a 1986 FBI shootout, where it was discovered that the hollowpoints then in use DID NOT reliably open up after going through heavy clothing.

The one other thing to remember is that shooting water jugs is a "best case scenario", where the hydrostatic pressure of the water can be depended upon to make the bullets open up as much as is possible. FWIW, there are now bullet designs out there which are NOT hollowpoints, but will still reliably expand when hitting something, and they are immune to having the hollowpoint getting clogged up because they don't have one. An example of this is the Corbon Powerball, and there are others brands too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:40 pm 

The one other thing to remember is that shooting water jugs is a "best case scenario", where the hydrostatic pressure of the water can be depended upon to make the bullets open up as much as is possible. FWIW, there are now bullet designs out there which are NOT hollowpoints, but will still reliably expand when hitting something, and they are immune to having the hollowpoint getting clogged up because they don't have one. An example of this is the Corbon Powerball, and there are others brands too.[/quote]

Must be something like the Hornady CD

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.