Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:29 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Bigger is better....but which? 
 Post subject: Bigger is better....but which?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

Got this up in a couple of other places too, as I like opinions. :wink:

Joel and Andrew have weighed in already, but I'm guessing they might have more to add if the feeling moves them. But for the rest of you...

I've settled into my two preferred carry / all purpose pistols and love them both.

1) P7 with Federal +p+
2) Glock 22 with Federal HST

I shoot them both well, my wife can handle them both well if need be along with the 12 gauge (that's important to me). Which leaves with with the pretty, but not used much .45 (PT1911). It's...negotiable...to me right now.

I enjoy a powerful caliber, but nothing that breaks hands (e.g. Scandium frames). So I started thinking, researching, and looking around. I start thinking, "Gee, maybe a Glock 20 in 10mm...". I like the Glock platform and shoot it well, recoil is quite manageable (even for my wife), etc, etc...and it's very nice ballistically.

Then a little voice in the back of my head starts saying, "Do you feel lucky..." and .44 magnum starts dancing around.

So here's the dilemma, and keeping / trading / selling the 1911 are all options depending on costs. Regardless of what I do with the .45, I'd like this next pistol to have some "oomph" but still be reasonable (no .500mag, please). Which way should I be leaning? Every pistol I own with the exception of .22lr stays loaded in the event it would need to be used, so home defense is indeed a factor. Recoil isn't so much of a worry for me, but I do have some reservations about my wife shooting a .44 magnum. Not that I couldn't work with her, but I don't want her to be afraid and second guessing if she needs to pull that trigger based on recoil. I don't hike a lot, but do get out on family property in central MN a good bit. Not exactly bear country, though.

I'm leaning harder and harder to the .44mag side of things. Any other things I should be looking at?

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Bigger is better....but which?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

Take a look at the .44spl. Look at defensive loads, not the cowboy load data.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:28 pm 
The Man

DeanC wrote:

Yup.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:

Do you mean the 44spl. as a gun, or as a round? If you like the round, you can get a 44mag. and shoot 44spl. from that. Then, you also have the capability to shoot mag., should the urge ever take hold of you.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:42 pm 
The Man

bensdad wrote:
DeanC wrote:

Do you mean the 44spl. as a gun, or as a round? If you like the round, you can get a 44mag. and shoot 44spl. from that. Then, you also have the capability to shoot mag., should the urge ever take hold of you.

Sure. But you can also get a 44spl revolver, instead -- or in addition -- and, by and large, they'll be lighter and less expensive than their big brothers.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

I never feel undergunned with a .44 mag. In my experience, rapid fire with a .44 mag is easier with a shorter barrel than a long one. Probably because the bullet spends less time in the barrel. The longer barrels tend to rise and twist a lot more.

If I had to use one in self defense my main concern would be my ears. I've never fired a short barrel .44 mag without ear protection. The muzzle blast can actually be felt against your chest. I love shooting them though and unlike the lightweight models, they are not unpleasant to shoot and won't slap your hand as hard as an airweight .38 +P.

I find .44 mags to be like potato chips, you can't have just one. Be prepared to reload or spend lots of money for ammo. If you get just one, a 4 inch barrel is probably the best all around size.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Last edited by Ramoel on Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

I really, really like the Charter Arms Bulldog. There is no 44 mag that is even close to it terms of concealability and ease of carry.

I wish Ruger or S&W would make one.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'm quickly becoming convinced that .44 something is the right way to go. Here are my thoughts thus far...

.44 Special in a good defensive loading seems to be the perfect answer to blending effectiveness with manageability, especially when it comes to my wife being able to utilize it.

So then the question becomes...

Do I get a dedicated .44 Special, or go for a full-blown .44 Magnum?

Pros to the dedicated special:

- Weight
- Size
- Cost (especially since I have a lead on a nice one at a nice price :wink: )

And I would end up with enough left over if I move the .45 that I might be able to treat myself to another toy as well...

Con to the dedicated special:

- Only one...will I end up jonesing for the magnum down the road for the ability to have a true hand cannon when I want one?

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:32 pm 
The Man

mrokern wrote:
I'm quickly becoming convinced that .44 something is the right way to go. Here are my thoughts thus far...

.44 Special in a good defensive loading seems to be the perfect answer to blending effectiveness with manageability, especially when it comes to my wife being able to utilize it.

So then the question becomes...

Do I get a dedicated .44 Special, or go for a full-blown .44 Magnum?

Pros to the dedicated special:

- Weight
- Size
- Cost (especially since I have a lead on a nice one at a nice price :wink: )

And I would end up with enough left over if I move the .45 that I might be able to treat myself to another toy as well...

Con to the dedicated special:

- Only one...will I end up jonesing for the magnum down the road for the ability to have a true hand cannon when I want one?

-Mark

As to the last, possibly -- then again, while it would be difficult to flip a .44 special quickly, if you decided that didn't scratch enough of an itch, you could do that. Then again, you'd be more likely to want to hang onto it . . . and still want the Maggie.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:43 pm 

shouldn't have slept on the Colt. should have just put the plastic down... :mrgreen:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

BrianB wrote:
shouldn't have slept on the Colt. should have just put the plastic down... :mrgreen:

LOL Nope, no plastic for guns unless it's a debit card. :lol:

I think I've got part one of dilemma solved. .44 special heading my way, and I can do that without even having to move the .45. :mrgreen:

If I want ANOTHER toy, I can always play a flip game...or teach more classes, which is what I probably SHOULD be doing. :lol:

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:24 pm 

DeanC wrote:
I really, really like the Charter Arms Bulldog. There is no 44 mag that is even close to it terms of concealability and ease of carry.

I wish Ruger or S&W would make one.

Have you looked at the S&W 696 or 396? 5 shot .44 spl on a L frame.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:02 am 
In the time out chair

For me, I would just buy the 4" plain jane 629, only slightly harder to carry than a 3 inch, and yet really easy enough to use with full house loads. For a house gun the 200 grain 44 special load at 900 FPS is pretty darn good, its strong but very controlable, and you can always keep a box of mag loads around for things bigger than a deer

Another option is a 45 colt revolver. plenty of stomp, and very manageable.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:07 am 
Longtime Regular

J.C. Garand wrote:
Have you looked at the S&W 696 or 396? 5 shot .44 spl on a L frame.

Too big for a pocket.

Here is my Bulldog with my Sideguard custom pocket holster:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:11 am 
In the time out chair

If one is not a skinny feller, then hiding a N frame on the body is not hard, its certainly not hard to carry a 4 inch N frame for hunting or field work, and again, good holster, good belt, carrying one all day is not that big of a deal,

The bull dog is a great EDC carry gun if its your only option, however, Mark has other better carry guns for that purpose, but keeping the occasional carry with more likely field use, I lean toward the 629.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.