Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:24 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 40 S&W 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:27 pm 
Designated waste of protoplasm

Greg M wrote:
I've heard that 40 S&W ammo is more prone to feeding problems that 9mm or .45ACP. Is this true?

Not in my 229 - never a problem - yet.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:36 pm 

My CZ 40P has never had a problem, but my CZ RAMI sometimes chokes. The bullet nose (FMJ) hangs up on the feed ramp. A yank on the slide and I'm back in action, and otherwise the gun functions flawlessly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

My 229 hasn't had a problem feeding anything yet either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

Not a single hiccup from my G23 or G22, even feeding those ashtray like Federal HST rounds in 165 or 180gr.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:36 am 

Tomorrow I'm trying the SW99 .40 w/WWB FMJ, Fed EFMJ, and HST's...will let you know.

Red

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:42 pm 

Red XIII wrote:
Tomorrow I'm trying the SW99 .40 w/WWB FMJ, Fed EFMJ, and HST's...will let you know.

Update: Note I bought this SW99 used, but it's a compact .40, and firing it puts it into single-action mode (and it does have a decocking lever), so not sure which Trigger style/model, BUT

I shot 50 WWB FMJ 165 gr. Range ammo,
34 Federal HST 180 gr. HP,
and 34 Federal EFMJ 165 gr. EFMJ.

All worked flawlessly, and were dead-on.

Red

Red

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:31 am 
Longtime Regular

Greg M wrote:
My CZ 40P has never had a problem, but my CZ RAMI sometimes chokes. The bullet nose (FMJ) hangs up on the feed ramp. A yank on the slide and I'm back in action, and otherwise the gun functions flawlessly.

Hi Greg,I also was having problems with my 2075 Rami hanging up rounds. I was having the problem with Federal Hydra shok.I change to Hornady XTP rounds and haven't encountered a problem since.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:48 pm 

Thanks, MNBud. My RAMI doesn't like anything I feed it --- not even FMJ.

Maybe it needs to see a doctor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:13 am 
Longtime Regular

Greg M wrote:
Thanks, MNBud. My RAMI doesn't like anything I feed it --- not even FMJ.

Maybe it needs to see a doctor.

Greg when I first bought mine I had problems with both magazines that came with the gun. I spent a fair amount of time on the CZforum and discovered there were a lot of folks having problems.This seemed to be an issue with the 40 and no one was having the problem with the 9mm. I returned both magazines and they sent me two new ones.
I would certainly be willing to get together at either Bill's and we can confirm if you have the same issue.
Bud

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:19 am 
Longtime Regular

This guy, who I've known for a couple years, gave up on his Rami Jami:

RAMI is a JAMI... Abbreviated range report:
http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=266314

CZ-2075 RAMI (JAMI) revisited
http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=268920

CZ-2075 RAMI... It still don't work right
http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=282002

The CZ-2075 RAMI (Jami) has returned.
http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=316045

CZ-2075 RAMI (JAMI) re-revisited
http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=330468

CZ-2075 RAMI range report
http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=336456

CZ-2075 RAMI Update!
http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=354458

I'm selling the CZ-2075 RAMI
http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=390095

Last edited by DeanC on Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:43 am 

Oh my ... this doesn't sound good.

Gotta think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:57 am 
On time out

Just some random observations

First the Kid going to Alaska, IF they are traveling by road to Alaska they are going to have to pass thru Canada and they have no tolerance for US citizens transporting guns thru there country. ZERO tolerance. I know two kids who went up to work the Salmon boats a couple of summers ago and one bought a handgun from a local FTF (yes, I know, not supposed to do that) and was going to bring it home when he discovered that Canadians look down on this sort of thing. So he took it apart and shipped it home in a couple of UPS packages. (again, I know) When they got to the Canadian border, the border guard started looking around and found 3 unfired rounds in the car, They were detained and the whole car emptied, searched, and the whole while they were getting the riot act read to them. Bring only a shotgun, and make sure they have filed the appropriate paper work before hand. If they are going camping in Alaska, there are some FFL's that will take delivery of a handgun and hold it for arriving lower 48'ers.

The nine as a weakling, Of course it all depends on what you load it with but a lot of the bad press on 9x19 comes from people who by the lowest priced ammo and then wonder why it does not work as advertised.

There was a guy who was posting on a S&W board who had been involved with the Georgia Dept of health and had been privy to many many postmortems and was listing over and over how many times street uses of the 9 had failed, while police had had pretty good luck with them.
They finally decided it was that the police were using high quality ammo and the street thugs were just using what ever was in the gun when they stole it, or what ever Kmart had on sale. He spoke glowingly of both 357 mags and Sigs working well, but also made the association that there was really no bad ammo in the .357 mag when you went to the store. If it was jhp or jsp or half jacketed, it was all loaded to .357 mag specs and you got 1300 or more FPS out of it. The same with the .357 Sig, all the ammo out there was good stuff, loaded to specs. When the US manufacturers started making 9mm it was to fulfill the needs of GI's returning home with souvenir Luger's. They wanted to make sure they were safe so they down loaded the rounds from what the European standard was. I am sure a few good luger's were blown up when the "liberator" found some 9mm ammo on the body of a MP40 gunner and figured they like us and the .45 just issued one load. The subgun ammo was never to be loaded into handguns but our guys did not know that. Some of the older Hirtenberger ammo will Chrono out at 2100 FPS out of a subgun barrel. I have some hidden away for that day when I can afford a MP5. .... out of a 1911, that is some sort of wallop...

I am willing to bet this also holds true with .38 specials. If you shoot +p JHP's you are going to have better luck than some guy who stole the gun and the box of ammo in Ole and Lena's top drawer that has been there since the Ike administration. A 158 RNL is not going to work as well as a +P jhp but your local thug is going to say his .38 is a pea shooter when it fails to stop someone.

The latest information that is coming out of the hand cannon crowd (.475 linebaugh, .500 redhawk, etc,) is that a very wide flat nose or Meplat with a very hard cast alloy is damaging all out of proportion to the size of the round. I know Seismic has had some issues with his .500 S&W but using soft swaged cores under a plated skin just wjill not hold up. A hard cast near flat front bullet driven at more modest velocity is just a hammer. A hog shot with a 950 FPS .45 colt 265 grainer LBT (this slug has hardly any shape to it, looking more like it was just a full wadcutter with just a hint of bevel at the nose to allow it to slip into the chamber) looked on the inside like a grenade had gone off. My son commented that there was more tissue destruction than when he had shot one with a .3030.

If you want deals on really, REALLY good .40 ammo, Check out CDNN and their offering of Ranger ammo at about 13 bucks a box of 50.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.