Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:40 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 snubbie calibers 
 Post subject: snubbie calibers
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:22 pm 

I'm gonna pick up a snubbie for pocket carry.
Looking at Taurus, lots of good comments.
What's the advantage of .357 over .38?
Velocity, bullet spread?
Velocity is not so good for SD right?
Too much penetration?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

unrelated to your .357 vs .38 for velocity and etc... I have a Taurus 85 ultra light. I chose to go with this gun for several reasons including price. The .357 guns I was looking at cost more and in a light weight frame woudl pack more recoil. Since this was my first gun, I compromised and got a .38 for less recoil and a more reasonable price. Since it won't be my last gun, I can now go shopping or another system with different features.

I know Phorvick has a 85 ultralight as well.

If you'd like to shoot mine sometime, PM me and we can probably set something up at burnsville or Bill's North some late afternoon next week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:00 pm 

Plblark, I would love to shoot this revolver!!
I am not opposed to the model 85, it's just that I have heard better things about the .357.
I could be just as happy with the .38 given the right reasons.
I do however appreciate your offer, I own a Taurus 24/7 in 9mm.
And would be happy to let you shoot my pistol in exchange.
Nobody I have shot with so far has liked the trigger pull on my gun, but I purchased this pistol on purpose because of the trigger pull. It's not going off by accident!!
It's definitly NOT a Target pistol, but very accurate and secure for a carry weapon.
I almost bought a model 85 and Ibelieve the trigger pull is about the same. This would make a good comparison.
Massad Ayoob just did an article in Combat handguns about the liability of a light trigger pull.
The model 85 might make a perfect compliment to my 24/7.
Let me know what works for you, I would be glad to meet you up at Bville Pistol Range!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:12 pm 
Longtime Regular

While the .357 is not as powerful out of a short barrel as a 4 or 6 inch tube, it beats 38 special +P and you still have the option of using .38 ammo if you don't want to use .357 for practice. I carry a .357 snub sometimes when I want better concealment. It's all steel so it's easier to shoot with full power loads.

Normally I prefer big bore for carry.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

Tito,
I shot a Millenium Pro and a 24/7 a couple weeks ago at Bill's Robbinsdale. Unfortunately, the 24/7 wouldn't load more than 5 rounds without a FTL. I'd be interested in shooting it again after shooting my 85.

Ramoel makes a good point about the .357 offering both .357 fot Carry and .38 for lighter recoil. I just didn't have the money to buy a light weight .357 when I was looking and bought the 85 instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:40 pm 

PLblark, Ihave well over 1000 rounds through my 24/7.
never one FTF
I'd be happy to let you shoot.
Let's set up a time.
I'm off Tues and Wed, afternoon would work better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:44 pm 

Bills in Robinsdale rents a scandium .357 snubby, or at least they used to. I tried it out before I bought mine. The recoil from a .357 round is very strong, but as mentioned you can use .38's instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 1:55 pm 

I personally carry a .38 in my pocket. It has a proven record of reliably stopping humans with good shot placement out of snubbie revolvers, and the flash and noise is much, much less than a .357.

If I think I would need something more powerful than a .38, jumping up a few hundred feet per second with the same bullet by going with .357 magnum isn't what I am going to do......

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:20 pm 
Designated waste of protoplasm

There is nothing wrong with a 38 - better than no gun at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:25 pm 

So .38 is good......and .357 is too much penetration?[/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 11:22 pm 

ok so wait....... does every .357 shoot .38 or does it need to be specifically chambered that way??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:36 am 
Longtime Regular

Tito Jackson wrote:
ok so wait....... does every .357 shoot .38 or does it need to be specifically chambered that way??

.38 Special revolvers have the same caliber (.357 inches) as .357 revolvers. The different naming is historical. See http://badtux.net/2006/04/why-can-you-u ... n-357.html

The .357 has a longer case, and packs more punch. Every .357 revolver can shoot the shorter .38 cartridges. The reverse is not true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:45 am 
Designated waste of protoplasm

Tito Jackson wrote:
So .38 is good......and .357 is too much penetration?[/i]

Not exactly true.

From a snubbie the velocities of a 357 will be a lot lower than out os say a gun with a 4" bbl. Sometimes when you get bullets that would normally expand at a higher velocity and not necessarily overpenetrate - when you slow them own they tend not to open up and pass through a target anyhow.

There is a point of diminishing returns when we start to talk about a 357 snubbie. That is a fistfull of power - almost too much to adequately use as there is not a lot of bbl to burn the majority of the powder - lots of noise - blast and flash

38 will more readily take advantage of the shorter bbl of a snubie and will not abuse you quite so bad.

What I would like to see would be a 40 SW 6 Shot revolver with a 3" bbl using moon clips..... Now that would be my ideal carry piece.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:27 am 
Longtime Regular

I noticed over the weekend there was a 5 shot 44special snubby on the market.
It sounds like a handfull to me, but some might like it.

I'll check on the manufacturer and let you know who's making it.

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject: .44 Special snubbies
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:41 am 
The Man

There's several -- Taurus makes several models, S&W and Charter Arms each make one.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.