Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:54 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Which is best? 

Which has more stopping power, .40 or .45 caliber?
.45  58%  58%  [ 35 ]
.40  8%  8%  [ 5 ]
They have the same stopping power, or so close as to make no difference.  33%  33%  [ 20 ]
Total votes : 60

Which is best? 
 Post subject: Re: 10mm
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:50 pm 

mobocracy wrote:

I vote 10mm, but then again I'm something of a Philistine. More power than full-house .357 Magnum, but can be downloaded loaded to 40S&W levels if so desired.

It's kind of a handful, though, and the gun selection new isn't what it should be.

I believe we will get along nicely! Nice pick! I like the way you think. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:58 pm 
The Man

Trauma King wrote:
mobocracy wrote:

I vote 10mm, but then again I'm something of a Philistine. More power than full-house .357 Magnum, but can be downloaded loaded to 40S&W levels if so desired.

It's kind of a handful, though, and the gun selection new isn't what it should be.

I believe we will get along nicely! Nice pick! I like the way you think. :D
I like 10 mm, too, but I have a few concerns as a practical matter. There's just not a lot of choices in commercial loads -- particularly full-house commercial loads -- just as there aren't a lot of choices in a new guns. (The Glocks are pretty good, but I can't point-shoot a Glock worth anything.)

The other issue is penetration -- more particularly overpenetration. I'd like to see a lot more gelatin tests with good controls on them. (Any time you see a picture of a gelatin block without the index round, it's utterly worthless.)

And, that said, I'm still a revolver guy -- right now, as I'm getting ready to head out to dim sum, and carrying my Taurus ultralight 44 special snubby. A little larger than the 38 snubby I usually carry (okay; I'm a creature of habit -- I've got the 38 snubby in my pocket, anyway), but five rounds of hot 44 special are, in my opinion, just about as good as it gets.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:35 pm 
Forum Moderator

joelr wrote:
I like 10 mm, too, but I have a few concerns as a practical matter. There's just not a lot of choices in commercial loads -- particularly full-house commercial loads -- just as there aren't a lot of choices in a new guns. (The Glocks are pretty good, but I can't point-shoot a Glock worth anything.)

Winchester, Double Tap, Buffalo Bore and Georgia Arms all produce reasonably high powered ammo, with Double Tap, Buffalo Bore and Winchster being pretty much full house, and generally loaded with known bullets (Gold Dots, Golden Sabers, etc). If you want FBI loads, Federal keeps their 10s down to .40S&W levels. That's not "a lot" of choices, but there are 2-3 bullet loadings per maker, more choices than you really need in the end.

Admittedly the gun selection could be better, but Kimber make a couple, Glock make a couple, EAA make a couple, and Dan Wesson/CZ as well.

Quote:
The other issue is penetration -- more particularly overpenetration. I'd like to see a lot more gelatin tests with good controls on them. (Any time you see a picture of a gelatin block without the index round, it's utterly worthless.)

Any more of an issue than with any other reasonably powerful handgun? 45 ACP +P, .357 Magnum, even .40S&W have some overpenetration risk, especially when you're talking about going through residential construction. At that point only bird shot is really free of that risk.

Quote:
And, that said, I'm still a revolver guy -- right now, as I'm getting ready to head out to dim sum, and carrying my Taurus ultralight 44 special snubby. A little larger than the 38 snubby I usually carry (okay; I'm a creature of habit -- I've got the 38 snubby in my pocket, anyway), but five rounds of hot 44 special are, in my opinion, just about as good as it gets.

The .44 special is a nice round. What you need is a 4" S&W 610; that way you can shoot 10mm AND be a revolver guy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:13 pm 

The overpenetration issue dissappears with proper shot placement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:28 am 
The Man

Trauma King wrote:
The overpenetration issue dissappears with proper shot placement.
Sure. But with the vast majority of shots that law enforcement officers fire -- for real; they do much better on the range -- missing the target entirely, I have to think that shot placement is not a solved issue.

As usual, it's a trade-off. I think Fackler's arguments and specs make sense, and there have been what would appear to be some significant improvements in bullet and cartridge design over the past few years that may, in the long run improve on those. Many high-performance rounds are still in the "well, if it actually expands in the flesh, that's a bonus" stage.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: info 10mm
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:32 am 

Just some info on the 10mm

http://www.gunblast.com/Glock20.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:47 am 

the 10mm can be a handful, but if you shoot it well that's what really counts. When I think about what firearm I want to buy and keep for PROTECTION, one thing that really matters is being able to get ammo for it. Rifle, shotgun, handgun, it is all the same, they do not make good clubs!Without ammo they are almost useless. Therefore, I feel it is a good idea to use a firearm that is very common, military cal. is the best, as if there is a breakdown in our daily lives, ammo is still going to around after the first couple of weeks. What do you think??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:30 am 
Forum Moderator

gunnerbmg wrote:
the 10mm can be a handful, but if you shoot it well that's what really counts. When I think about what firearm I want to buy and keep for PROTECTION, one thing that really matters is being able to get ammo for it. Rifle, shotgun, handgun, it is all the same, they do not make good clubs!Without ammo they are almost useless. Therefore, I feel it is a good idea to use a firearm that is very common, military cal. is the best, as if there is a breakdown in our daily lives, ammo is still going to around after the first couple of weeks. What do you think??

If there's a breakdown in our daily lives, you better have all the ammo on hand you need because it's unlikely you'll be able to get more without bartering for something really valuable -- antibiotics, morphine or other ammo or weapons.

Reloading solves some of this, but only if you have enough components on hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

If the end of the world comes, I am loaded for bear... well, tiny little 6-inch bears, anyway.

I have a few value-packs of .22LRs in the trunk. :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.