Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:11 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Air Marshal's say 357 sig is too powerful 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:24 pm 

ttousi wrote:
No brainer...........change it!

I don't know the answer to this, but what will frangible ammo do to someone with a bullet proof vest on. Is the result different than what a .357 Sig would do? Could down sizing the air marshal ammo's capability give a window of opportunity for a terrorist? Should this level of detail be discussed in a public forum?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:36 pm 
Longtime Regular

If these guys are given the responsibility to decide when and if and just how to use lethal force aboard a crowded passenger aircraft in flight, I personally would think they could be trusted to pick their own ammo. But I guess that would be way too simple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:47 pm 
On time out

For a while, the load was I believe a 90 or 95 grain bullet from a 9 mm at 1500, the intent was to get explosive expansion with minimal penetration. The test medium for a long period of time was medical primates that had been euthanized, the test was single shot to the cranium. The whole test was based on the Air Marshall SOP of nothing but head.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:51 am 
Designated waste of protoplasm

Pat Cannon wrote:
If these guys are given the responsibility to decide when and if and just how to use lethal force aboard a crowded passenger aircraft in flight, I personally would think they could be trusted to pick their own ammo. But I guess that would be way too simple.

Here is the thing - Beaurocracy is a pervasive issue - I deal all the time with the feds and state and local agencies - Here is the thing - they all have requirements that are applied across the board. Some of the policies are good and some are completely nonsensical.

You are on an airplane - people sitting in perfect rows all lined up - you have to shoot - count on hitting more than you bagain for. A light bullet going warp speed makes some sense - COM Shots are gong to be tough and all that you have is a head - it makes complete sense.

There are a lot of regs that the feds follow written by non-operational types that make absolutely NO sense whatsoever - and some that do make sense.

I can tell you this - if you are on a plane and something goes wrong - count on becoming part of the action - there is no escape and we all know what happens when we retreat (remember 9/11?) The thing is this - a firearm in that Close Quarters situation - there will be a lot of collateral no matter how you look at it.

I know a couple of sky marshalls - you better bet that if something goes wrong - there will be shooting - the best thing that you can do if caught in that situation is be still.....

Welcome to the new normal.....

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.