Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:14 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 revolver/semi auto ammo difference?? 
 Post subject: revolver/semi auto ammo difference??
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:48 am 

Hi,
I have a question.
I started this pistol buying spree a couple years ago. I was into semi autos and bought several. I then thought I'd give a revolver a try after shooting a friends .357 S&W 360.
I didn't like his at first because of the super heavy recoil and ended up buying a taurus 617 Ti because of the larger handle and more weight.
20 ozs. compared to about 12 for his S&W 360. Also the Taurus has a nice thick rubber handle. I find it very comfortable to shoot .357 rounds.
Anyway, My question is why are revolver cartridges of equal power always larger than semi auto?
Like a 38 is only a little more powerfull than a .380.
A 9MM is more powerfull than a 38.
A 357 sig is close to a .357 Mag in the lighter bullet weights.
What am I missing?
Thanks,
Oscar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:18 am 
Longtime Regular

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure it mostly has to do with the types of powder used. Revolver cartridges can date back to the old,old days of using much bulkier powders (black powder?) and therefore needing case capacities which appear much bigger than today's auto cartridges which can achieve the same ballistics using "hotter" propellants which take up less volume.

In fact, people who still load some of the really old cartridges have had issues (unreliable ignition, poor accuracy) because the modern powders only take up a tiny fraction of the available case capacity. IMR just recently created "Trail Boss", a very bulky powder to address this issue.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:51 am 
Longtime Regular

The short answer is that they were developed by individuals who had different ideas on what was the correct way to do things.

George Luger, who was instrumental in inventing the 9mm that bears his name, thought cartridges should be significantly more powerful that his American counterparts. Case in point George submitted a .45 version of his pistol to the US Army for the 1906 trials with ammunition that was about 50% more powerful than JMB’s. The Army liked George’s gun and JMB’s ammo, but George would not re-spring his gun to use the lighter powered ammo and was eliminated from the trials.

Big Mistake
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject: Re: revolver/semi auto ammo difference??
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:19 pm 
"Deceptive Edge" Weasel

oscarswanson wrote:
Hi,
Anyway, My question is why are revolver cartridges of equal power always larger than semi auto?

Then look at guns today! The technology employed to lighten guns is amazing. But, light wt guns are not mean to be used for range guns! They are tools of last resort as back up weapon or primary carry weapons for CCW or off duty carry for LEO. Guns meant to be carried a lot and shot very little!

Not sure what you are asking so to speak. But, there are quite a few ballistic equals out there. Much of your question can be answered with look at the heritage of handgun cartridges. The developers had to deal with resources available at the time. Some were devloped in the era of BP. Technologic advances provide some of the answers. But, the good ole 9mm and the timeless 45ACP are still loaded to the orginal loadings! And, they work well.

There is no way the 38 spec is the equivalent of the 380! Nope! The FBI loading of 158gr LSWCHP did well by them for a number of years! The 9mm is more of ballistic twin to the 38 spec. Now, with Speer working with bullets meant to expand with short bbls it seems that the revolver will never die.

The 357 Sig on some levels packs the punch of the 357 Mag, but only with the lighter bullets.

The 40SW is an answer to question that was never asked if you ask me! The original loading was with a 180gr bullet traveling about 950fps. Gee that is really close to 45ACP with 185gr bullet.

Then look at the 10mm, the FBI had to down load it to make it manageable for the entire spectrum of their agents.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:14 pm 

I think part of the answer to your question is based on the history of the rounds in question. I think most/all revolver rounds are based on black power cartridges. And as they got more powerful (38 S&W to 38 Spec to 357 mag for example) the lengthened the case to prevent chambering in weaker guns.

Steelheart

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.