Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:10 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Question About Ammo Life 
 Post subject: Question About Ammo Life
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:50 pm 
Journeyman Member

How often do you change the defensive ammo that you carry daily? Also does anyone carry reloads as defensive ammo?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:56 am 
Delicate Flower

Shoot it every couple of months and put fresh in. Factory loads......Speer Gold dot or Corbon.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:09 am 
Longtime Regular

Once a year should be sufficient, unless you regularly swim with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:38 am 

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Once a year should be sufficient, unless you regularly swim with it.

Yeah because those IDPA "water rounds" can be a killer on your time. ;)

I'd say every few months, that way it's easy to remember when you last cycled them. If your memory is better then mine, you could probably do like Andrew said. :)

"Don't put your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions. People die, and nothing changes."
-- (Terry Pratchett, Night Watch)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:10 am 
Longtime Regular

Smokeless powder only gets weaker with time.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:09 am 
Longtime Regular

I have shot ammo of all vintages upto a 100 years old and only very rarely have I had a bad round. Probably on a par with recently manufactured ammunition as far as frequency is concerned (unless you count Sellier and Bellot).

That said would I gamble my life on ammo over a year or two old..........Let me think about that.........NO. :D :D

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

In a book I have, "The ABC's Of Reloading- C. Rodney James, there is an interesting story about smokeless powder- to paraphrase-

"..A sample of Laflin & Rand (which eventually became Alliant), Unique powder was placed in underwater storage in 1899 to test it's viability.
It was last tested in 1996. It will be again tested in the next century when it is expected to continue performing as well as when it was made".

Book's copyright date is 1997, so the article is at least a decade old, but it find it interesting anyway.

I've also read articles in various magazines where the topic has been really old military surplus ammo still firing- I particularly recall a story about some WWII .45acp military still sealed in it's original can still firing very reliably.

I recycle my carry ammo every few months, and I don't carry reloads as self defense ammo- but my home spun ammo goes bang as reliably as any store bought, and more than some.
I get a few duds per 500 brick of .22LR blazer ammo in my Ruger MKII pistol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:15 pm 
Designated waste of protoplasm

I have a 20 year old 8# can of Unique that still works pretty darn good..

I have 40# of Mil Surplus Rilfe powder that is like from Nam - still works GREAT.

Had some WW1 Surplus 9mm Luger that shoots like brand new... Allbeit Corrosive as hell and with STEEL Bullets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:41 pm 
Forum Moderator

I notice that yellow brass tends to tarnish over time, and I think this increases its friction and perhaps could impede proper feed an ejection. Most "premium" self-defense ammo is in nickel-plated cases, which doesn't seem to tarnish -- except, of course, the 10mm Winchester Silvertips I carry in my G29, which come from the factory in yellow brass.

I keep thinking I'll carry some home-rolled Silvertips in nickel cases, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. It could be as simple as moving the factory powder and bullets to a primed nickel case, although I think a complete package would be more sensible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:37 am 
Longtime Regular

I generally fire the ammo in my carry piece every time I go to the range but that is only because it is reloaded ammo and the stuff that goes back into it will be the same quality. I can't imagine not using the same amount of attentiveness while reloading as I would crossing the street or operating a chain saw therefor I believe my reloads are as dependable as anything that would come out of a factory.I have never had an issue with my reloads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:32 pm 

Hi guys new to the forum and recently a CCW.

Carry ammo I cycle out about every 6 months. I never carry reloads due to the civil issue.

Just my 2 cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:35 pm 
Delicate Flower

Welcome Big-John :)

Do you have a permit to carry as well as the CCW thing? :P :wink:

Read some of the threads & you will see why I tweaked you.........I will point you towards them if I can dig them up. Don't mind me .....I sometimes am a rabble rouser or as some say just rabble. 8)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:46 pm 

Sorry about that I meant to say I just got my permit to carry.

Trying to do two things at once. My ultimate love/hate relationship guns and school work. Guns being the love. I guess my business communication class is not helping my too much.

Got my permit 30 days after my 21st birthday. I reload, build guns, and work on them quite a bit. I try to do it all...

well as far as my money goes...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:15 pm 
Delicate Flower

Big_John wrote:
Sorry about that I meant to say I just got my permit to carry.

I figured that ............just a gentle reminder....somewhat of a hot button around here lately.

Good for you getting the permit @ 21. Just think of all the years (hopefully) you will be able to carry rather than some of us that are slightly more advanced in age.

Again welcome....... and we look foward to your contributions. :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

Big_John wrote:
Hi guys new to the forum and recently a CCW.

Carry ammo I cycle out about every 6 months. I never carry reloads due to the civil issue.

Just my 2 cents.

Hi Big John and welcome to the forum and congratulations on your permit. We have discussed the civil issue thing you speak of and I for one don't recall anyone ever being able to come up with any links pertaining to carrying reloaded ammo. I am certainly open to reading anything you may have but it generally comes back as people just believing there is a problem with carrying it but has never been a problem in court.This has been brought up on the Smith & Wesson forum a number of times also.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.