Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:18 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Let's pick a caliber and 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:21 pm 
Designated waste of protoplasm

mnglocker wrote:
How about the 8x57mm Mauser? Expensive ammo, hard to find. Kicks like a mule in my M48a. 2100+ft.lbs of energy.

I need to learn how to reload so I can afford to shoot this thing.

8mm is CHEAP iont he surplus market. There is about a ton of it out there.

Reloading for the 8mm is simple - go out and buy some cases and bullets - I will show you ho wto do it. SIMPLE....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:22 am 
Forum Moderator

Jeff wrote:
Pinnacle wrote:
What I would really like is a 10mm Revolver with a 3" bbl.... Moon Clips - that is actually my dream gun.

There is one and I would like one too. Lew Horton made? a small run of these a few years ago.

Picture: http://marina.fortunecity.com/harbour/3 ... jim/J2.jpg

I hadn't thought about the 3" in a few years. I should look for one of these.

I use full moon clips on mine.

The 610s are expensive when you can find them, especially the short-barrelled models, since I'm pretty sure fewer were made. The last time I checked, 95%+ models were being run up to $1k on Gunbroker.

As much as I like my 610, I think it's more fun to shoot full-house 10s in a 1911 pattern gun like my Kimber. The 6" 610 at least just absorbs too much recoil. The Glock 29 is fun to shoot as well, and much less of a handful than you might expect.

I have a leather holster that works for either my S&W 1006 or 1066. The 1066 I've used as a carry gun, but it loses out to the G29 in size and definitely weight, although the S&W 1000 series earn marks as backup weapons when empty because of that weight.

The 10mm gun I've always been interested in owning is the Dan Wesson CBOB. I've heard some questions about reliability, though -- some guns going back more than once for jamming problems. They've been good about working on them, but still.

Definitely a cartridge to reload, too. I've always loaded 180gr JFPs or JHPs, but I think I'm going to get some Sierra 135s. I think my Alliant load data shows 10.x gr Power Pistol and over 1500fps for that bullet, which ought to make an interesting noise.

Post subject: Additional picks
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:04 am 

In my other post I picked the 270win and 40S&W and I stand by them, however I do enjoy variety and in that spirt I'll offer a few more options.

A 308 is another great round, given I have a 270, a rem pump, I rounded out my rifles with a 308. For me a 06 would have seemed somewhat redundant. Also the 308 is in a win lever action which makes it a little off the normal path. Up next is a varmint caliber in a hevy bolt action.

Everyone needs a revolver and in 38 special it is a super combination. You're collection is also not complete without a classic 1911 in 45.

Then comes the 22's, you'll need a rifle and pistol. The ruger 10/22 and Mark series are great options, although there are many other selections that will last a lifetime. My single shot Anchutz is not very pratcial to carry at over 10lbs but its a tack driver.

Why the tread did not talk about shotguns, your going to need one. 12gauge if you can have only one, add a 20 or 28 if you can have two. Make the 12 an auto if you shoot waterfowl, or a double if you shoot upland only. If your 12 is auto then the 20/28 in a double is classic. If the 12 is a double consider the smaller gauge in a auto that your son can start to hunt with.

Lastly the you should have a few that just make you smile, be it a blackpowder, high cap auto, a bullseye pistol, or bench rest rifle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:37 am 
Longtime Regular

mnglocker wrote:
How about the 8x57mm Mauser? Expensive ammo, hard to find. Kicks like a mule in my M48a. 2100+ft.lbs of energy.

If you think that kicks like a mule, come out some time and shoot my Rem 700 in 8mm Remington Magnum.......it will knock the snot out of you and make you mag-numb from the neck down for a month....... :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

hammAR wrote:
If you think that kicks like a mule, come out some time and shoot my Rem 700 in 8mm Remington Magnum.......it will knock the snot out of you and make you mag-numb from the neck down for a month....... :shock:

What is that good for shooting? Cape Buffalo?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:13 pm 
Longtime Regular

How about the .243 Win.

Using a 58 gr Hornady V-max, scoots along about 3800-3900 FPS.

Step up to the 77gr and you still scoot along at 3400 at the muzzle.

The 100 gr I am shooting is still running along at about 2900 FPS.

This thing is just wonderful. Other than my M14, we have sold our Rem 788 in .308 and bought the wife a Savage in .243 and I have my Rem 788 in .243.

Between the 58 gr and 100 gr bullets I have to adjust about 4 1/2" at 100 yds. (18 clicks at 1/4" per click)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

Let's not forget another great gun. 2" pvc pipe fitted with a combustion chamber, piezo ignition, starting fluid and a 40lbs sack of potatoes. :lol:

Every one should have one. Yukon Gold potatoes have the best knockdown power.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:48 pm 
Longtime Regular

Ok, Talkin tater shooters....

These guys take it to a new level click on the picture to follow the link

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 4:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

When I was a young whipper snapper we took and built a perfect spec spud gun using 8"pvc for the chamber and a 10' piece of 2" for the barrel and mounted it to the roof of my friends ford aerostar. That was freaking cool. Good thing I live in the stix.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:24 pm 

hammAR wrote:
mnglocker wrote:

I am no fan of recoil - BUT I am a fan of the 8mm Mag...

Hell of a caliber.... A Real all around powerhouse - if you think that an 06 aint enough oomph - go out and get a 8mm mag - it is after all the next most logical step.... :shock:

I will take you up on the offer sometime.... I would love to shoot that whomper....

I have heard tales of INCREDIBLE accuracy out of the 8mm mag....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:57 pm 
Longtime Regular

someone1980 wrote:

YEP.............taken several :shock: I took an Elk with it at a little over 400 yds, it dropped him like a bag of potatoes. It took out the front shoulder fragmented the heart/lung area, and went out the back side taking ribs along the way.......the only thing that I have that is more destructive is a 45-110.

Pinnacle, it is extremely accurate and at 500 yds will compete with my .308 and 7mm Mag......it just hurts like hell trying to put five downrange.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:13 am 

hammAR wrote:
someone1980 wrote:

Pinnacle, it is extremely accurate and at 500 yds will compete with my .308 and 7mm Mag......it just hurts like hell trying to put five downrange.....

That is what I understand - I have and article written about it here somewhere that states that it is one of the MOST accuract rifles that Jarrett ever made - customer gun that shot a one holer right off the line with generic loads that were not even made for that gun.

like a 1/4 minute group at 100 and out to 300 - that is jsut simply amazing for abig boomer.

I dont think that people know how powerful that an 8mm Mag is. It is astounding the differences between that and the 338 Win Mag (they would appear to be kissin cousins - but they are not.)

I will shoot it once - just to see what it is like - I have had my ass kicked before - I will survive... Cant be worse than my little mule.... (Well yes it could be...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:45 am 
Raving Moderate

someone1980 wrote:
hammAR wrote:

Anything you want D-E-A-D dead. And/or pulverized... :)

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:17 am 
Longtime Regular

Jeremiah wrote:
Anything you want D-E-A-D dead. And/or pulverized... :)

Already cooked hamburger!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.