Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:34 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Let's pick a caliber and 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:43 pm 
Journeyman Member

My father-in-law got me goin' on 7mm-08. Simply amazing ballistics. Fast, flat, and accurate. Perfect for Deer. In my opinion, and based on experience, if you don't have to shoot through a ton of brush, this is my pick for the perfect caliber for gun deer season. It is also a hoot to fire at the range with its very low recoil and impressive 300 yard capabilities - if you reload, you could very well shoot this caliber for hours. :wink:

You can't hit what you can't see.. Play racquetball 200 + MPH

Life Member of the NRA

Last edited by Oneshotrqtbll on Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:22 pm 

Here's one: 10mm

Fun to shoot. Nice and accurate (for me). Can be loaded down to .40 levels and up pretty damn high.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:31 am 
Designated waste of protoplasm

Jeff wrote:
Here's one: 10mm

Fun to shoot. Nice and accurate (for me). Can be loaded down to .40 levels and up pretty damn high.

I shot a colt Delta Elite some years ago - that was a handful for me - actually scared me a bit the first time that I pulled the trigger.

10mm is a hell of a caliber...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:36 am 
Longtime Regular

One of our students was shooting a Colt Delta Elite (I believe--phorvick will correct me if i'm wrong) 10mm in a class last spring and he let phorvick and me shoot it. I had no idea what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised. I'm not a lover of heavy recoil, but it seemed to be quite manageable (to me at that time). Very accurate. Very nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:43 am 
Forum Moderator

Old Dude wrote:
One of our students was shooting a Colt Delta Elite (I believe--phorvick will correct me if i'm wrong) 10mm in a class last spring and he let phorvick and me shoot it. I had no idea what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised. I'm not a lover of heavy recoil, but it seemed to be quite manageable (to me at that time). Very accurate. Very nice.
Yes, it was an ELite...I really liked it too. If the ammo cost was not so high I would add a 10mm to the list of things I want but likely won't get. :)

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:34 am 

10mm is certainly a caliber to reload due to cost. I love my Glock 20, 29 and S&W 610 (4" barrel) in 10mm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:14 am 

What I would really like is a 10mm Revolver with a 3" bbl.... Moon Clips - that is actually my dream gun.

40 would be the low power option for practice.... Seems like the ideal gun - something reasonable to cary - something reasonable to hunt with (legal too) as a BUG - night sights and a Round butt. Stainless..... Or Scandium....

10mm has a lot of horsepower.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:48 am 
Longtime Regular

Pinnacle wrote:
Jeremiah wrote:
I'll throw in my .02:

7.62x54R. Fun to shoot; milsurp (corrosive) and commercial (non-corrosive) ammo available relatively cheaply, surplus Mosin-Nagant M1891/30s and M44s available inexpensively, and hits fairly hard.

I've seen brass available at Gunstop on my exploratory trip there, for reloaders (which I hope to someday soon become).
Try Fleet Farm for the rifles, or any number of online sources.

Jeremiah

P.S. Pinnacle- this is a great thread idea!

:D

Thanks

The 7.62x54mm Russian round huits like a ton of bricks and is just about equivalent to our 30-06 in power - however, it is as sccurate as any other bench rest cartridge out there in a proper rifle.. Good round...

Hey we are here to talk about stuff that interests us and not bicker - I am getting tired of the bickering...

Hey there are a ton of itneresting calibers out there - someone else pick something and post your thoughts about it.

In the interest of getting the correct information to the masses. The 7.62X54R is for "Rimmed" and not "Russian".

Information on the ever popular Czech Silver Tip ammunition on the market currently
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmo020.htm

On the Hungarian Yellow Tip (Heavy Ball). This stuff is a little more brutal to shoot.
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmo008.htm

Last edited by farmerj on Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:58 am 

I have a bunch of the BZ's and the B -32's for the 54R

Absolutely ferocious projectiles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:04 am 
Longtime Regular

They also use FMJ-BT on all the projectiles.

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinHumor.htm

Any reason I own 5 of the things?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Great rounds
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:45 am 

OK I'll through in a few for conversation:

Rifle - .270 Win - basically a necked down 06. Better balistics and more than enough power for anything in the US. Very flat shooting, plenty of reload options for the range or field, and is soft shooting compared to 30 cal stuff.

Pistol - 40 cal - while a little hot in factory ammo, as a reloader I can download it shoot as soft as a 9mm and warm it up for protection. In a 1911 style pistol it feeds great and has excellent magazine capacity.

If I did not reload I'd go 30-06 and 9mm.

Post subject: Re: Great rounds
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:37 pm 

mmcnx2 wrote:
OK I'll through in a few for conversation:

Rifle - .270 Win - basically a necked down 06. Better balistics and more than enough power for anything in the US. Very flat shooting, plenty of reload options for the range or field, and is soft shooting compared to 30 cal stuff.

Pistol - 40 cal - while a little hot in factory ammo, as a reloader I can download it shoot as soft as a 9mm and warm it up for protection. In a 1911 style pistol it feeds great and has excellent magazine capacity.

If I did not reload I'd go 30-06 and 9mm.

I have grown fond of the 270 - I used to despise it but - I did some ballistic testing a couple of summers ago where I had to shoot my 06 with 166gr APM2's (100 or so of them) in a day cruising along at 2900 fps nominally - this is a 5.5lb rifle - so it was shall we say a little abusive. Do the math on that one - I have shot bigger cals that dont kick quite that bad.

I love the 270 and find that it is more than capable with a 150gr bullet - capable of taking anything that needs to be shot... I seem to also like the range that the 270 gives you - estimation of drop is a little less important on a longer shot than with a 30 cal. There is little difference with a 130 gr. bullet at 200 yards with a 100 yd zero and out to 300 yards there is a little drop but not enough to be concerned with. I am starting to like the 270

Interestingly enough - one of the largest lions ever shot in Africa was shot with a 270 - one shot - in the dark - unaimed - dead right there. Jack Schuttie shot that animal because it was annoying him while he was trying to sleep. True story.. He just shot in the general direction - suddenly the roaring quit - he thought that he had scared it - he actually scared it to death.

mmcnx2 this was the spirit of the thread that I started - lets actually talk about the hardware we all love....

Thanks for the great contribution.

Keep em in the 10 ring...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:47 pm 

Pinnacle wrote:
What I would really like is a 10mm Revolver with a 3" bbl.... Moon Clips - that is actually my dream gun.

There is one and I would like one too. Lew Horton made? a small run of these a few years ago.

Picture: http://marina.fortunecity.com/harbour/3 ... jim/J2.jpg

I hadn't thought about the 3" in a few years. I should look for one of these.

I use full moon clips on mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:18 pm 

Gotta put my $.02 in for the .357MAG.

I can't think of many things that cannot be achieved with a S&W66 and a lever action rifle companion.

flame away. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:53 am 
Longtime Regular

How about the 8x57mm Mauser? Expensive ammo, hard to find. Kicks like a mule in my M48a. 2100+ft.lbs of energy.

I need to learn how to reload so I can afford to shoot this thing.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.