Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:09 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The .45: GAP vs ACP 
 Post subject: The .45: GAP vs ACP
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:53 am 
Longtime Regular

For us novices, what is the difference besides what the statistics show? Such as cost, ease of reloading, availability, and etc.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The .45: GAP vs ACP
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:38 am 
The Man

matt160 wrote:
For us novices, what is the difference besides what the statistics show? Such as cost, ease of reloading, availability, and etc.
The .45 GAP was created by Glock to be able to put a .45 into a slimmer-framed gun. The ammo, while available, is less so than .45, and more expensive. In the long run, I doubt that it'll catch on.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:16 am 
1911 tainted

My take is that the advantage of the GAP is that the shorter round can fit in a smaller frame and appears to be a good round with lighter bullets. The .45 acp has higher bullet velocities with the heavier bullets, so this can be better, depending on what your camp you're in.

Personally I am not a GAP fan, but it may stick around like the .221 Fireball has been able to do.

I may not be the best person to give my opinion on a subject like this. The people on this forum that know me, know that I am 1911 and .45 acp tainted. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:27 am 
Longtime Regular

I'd think that reloading for the .45gap should be easy enough.
I'd guess that by now there would be dies and reloading data out there.
Due to it's availablity and cost, reloading for this caliber might make good sense. My opinion is that this caliber won't really "catch on".
Not to the extent of .45acp, .40S&W, 9mm, etc........anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:34 am 
Designated waste of protoplasm

Hold on to your underwear - I dont know anything or purport to know anything about the GAP.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:47 am 
Longtime Regular

Thanks for the warning- When I read you post I was glad I had my skivvies braced!

:D

Post subject: 45 GAP
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:59 am 

The 45 GAP was developed by Glock as a new round for countries that will not allow a military round to be used by civilians. Looks like they have sold it to other countries,(USA) just to see if it would take off.... I think it will be just like the 357 sig. not used much. The ammo just about the same price as 45acp and reloads just like the 45 acp. Some say it's better than the 45 acp.... :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:15 am 
Longtime Regular

I thought part of the reason Glock made the .45 gap was to reduce the size of the grip on their .45 without reducing capacity.

Post subject: 45 GAP
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:37 pm 

they wanted a 45 type of a gun that could sell just about anyplace in the world.... I remember news like this a few years back Glock just wanted to sell to EVERYONE ["The .45 GAP would also have a market advantage in countries like Mexico, where civilian possession of ammunition and firearms in government chamberings is illegal. As no government has adopted the .45 GAP, it would be legal to own in a country with these restrictions] Did not SIG, do the samething when they came out with the 357 sig?????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:39 am 

OK Opinion Mode ON - the facts of this matter elude me as I dont know anything about the GAP - but:

I would think that Glock wanted to make a pistol that would rely ont he same frame size as say the 22 or the 17 firing a shorter 45 round for ease of manufacture (one frame size makes sense to me.)

I offer that the secondary result would be that glock was able to sell guns in 45 to people that were otherwise prohibited by regulation of a Government Caliber. This is a guess.

I dont really know - and I dont really think about the GAP as I dont know anyone with one - this is not saying that perhaps it is a good option for someone that wanted to shoot a 45 in a glock frame with smaller hands - I think that this is perhaps a GOOD IDEA..

The 21 is a HUGE Frame. I am a relatively big fella - woth good sized hands - the 21 is too much for me to hold on to comfortably.... Perhaps if I wanted a glock in 45 (one could do a lot worse than to have a Glock in 45 or any other caliber for that matter.) the GAP Would be a good option for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:45 am 
Longtime Regular

I like your thinking on this. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:24 am 

I own all three Glocks in .45 GAP. I was EXTREMELY skeptical when they first came out. But then one day I decided to try out my Glock 21 next to my other Glocks that are of the 9mm and .40 persuasion. My hands are pretty good size but the .40 frames just feel so much better in my hand as compared to the big G21. Now about a year and a half later I use the G37, with 11+1 for home use. I use the G38, my favorite, with 9+1 for carry, except for the summer, and I use the G39 with 7+1 for deeper concealment. They use the same exact frame as the 9mm and .40's but they make .45 holes. The slides are about .100 thicker than the .40 slides but should fit any Glock 21/30 holster and the ammo costs more and is not as available. But I have seen it at every store I've been in, except WalMart.

It's not for everybody. But what is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:53 am 

Quote:
I offer that the secondary result would be that glock was able to sell guns in 45 to people that were otherwise prohibited by regulation of a Government Caliber. This is a guess.

Glock sold the GAP gun to other countries LONG before it was sold in the USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:04 pm 

LIke I said a guess - I am sure that you are right... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:29 am 
Longtime Regular

Another reason besides the frame size issue is that many countries prohibit civilians from owning guns that use "military" calibers. The .45 Gap helps people who always wanted to own a .45, but were prohibited from owning a .45acp.

The Springfield XD-45 just blew the grip circumference question away and will likely kill the 45 GAP.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.