Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:23 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Glock FMJ vs Lead (split from Caliber newbie) 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:16 pm 
Designated waste of protoplasm

mobocracy wrote:
Why not just buy an aftermarket barrel for shooting lead in Glocks? I have a KKM in my G29 that's button rifled and has much better chamber support. And way more accurate than the stock barrel.

I don't shoot lead in mine (although I do shoot reloads), but for someone who wanted to shoot lead its certainly a viable option that sidesteps both the lead vs. polygonal rifling and the chamber support vs. reloads issue.

Most are available drop-in, and very reasonably priced.

It was as plain as the nose on my face...

+1 Mobocracy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:06 pm 

I'm sorry to rekindle an old thread, but I just picked up a case of Remington 115GR MC from Dick's (cause it's cheap!). The guy working the counter said it would be fine for my Glock 17, but after reading this discussion, I'm wondering if I need to return it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:14 pm 
Forum Moderator

Just buy a KKM replacement barrel from Glockmeister.

They are drop-in replacements for the stock barrel and will shoot anything you can reasonably chamber.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:06 pm 

I bought the same box of 9mm from Dick's for my Glock17. Looks like I'll be visiting the Glockmeister. Seem's like the best / most safe solution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:10 am 
Longtime Regular

Rem UMC is no problem. It's copper jacketed. What we were discussing were "naked" lead bullets.

If your bullets looks like this, you have no problem:

If your bullet looks like this, some people think you have a problem. I tend to disagree now. I think you just need to check your barrel every now and then and make sure it's not "leading".

I think it's also going to be pretty tough to find factory 9mm ammo loaded with LRN.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:05 pm 

DeanC beat me to the punch - I checked with my local firearms wizard and he said based on the answers I'd received here, I most likely didn't state my question properly. He suggested it's rather unusual to purchase any ammunition that's straight lead anymore, pretty much everything is coated these days. He speculated you folks thought I meant straight-lead rounds, just as DeanC said.

Thanks for the help folks! At the rate I learn, I suspect it will only take another 30 years for me to fully understand ammunition and ballistics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:03 pm 
"Deceptive Edge" Weasel

Fubar wrote:
I'm sorry to rekindle an old thread, but I just picked up a case of Remington 115GR MC from Dick's (cause it's cheap!). The guy working the counter said it would be fine for my Glock 17, but after reading this discussion, I'm wondering if I need to return it.

I am sure that can not return ammo to any store.... Too much potential for being messed with. Most commerical ammo available these days, aside for ammo intended for CAS and some commerical reloaders ie Lancer, Ultramax, and perhaps BHA offer some lead loadings, is jacketed. No need to worry. Better idea learn to reload!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.