Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:09 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Race Gun - 38 super 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

Pinnacle wrote:
Selurcspi wrote:
Two of my typical loads are 145gr lrn at 1250fps or 135gr fmj at 1350fps. Both make the old major floor work well in my gun and are comfortable to shoot.
I know a few guys using 95gr fmj at about 1750fps, but their cases show waaaaaay too much pressure, primer flow, heavy imprinting, scary stuff. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Wow imagine that load in an unsupported chamber - can you say BLOW OUT. man that is FAST for a pistol...

it is interesting that out of a G17 the Winchester RA9TA goes 1350fps FACTORY - now that is fast with a 127gr bullet - I am wondering if that makes Major as I do not know that much about IPSC and the power factor limits and seem to be unmotivated to look it up.

That would make an itneresting option if it were to make Major.....

It will make the new major [edit(160 open)(170 Mod & Standard)] but not the old (175) as it comes in at 171 and change.
Radway Greene (Brit Army) 9mm makes 175 major in a 4 1/2" BHP. Before major 9 was banned in IPSC a number of Brit shooters used it in glocks and CZ75s. It worked the comp well and when the guns were correctly sprung there were few problems.

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Last edited by Selurcspi on Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:53 pm 
Designated waste of protoplasm

So what you are telling me is that if I were to go to an IPSC deal with my G17 and a bunch of that ammo - I would be placed in major category? That would be fun....

I will tell you that when you do shoot that ammunition - it is a handful of 9mm - turns a 9mm into a real package of power.

You should see that bullet tear through material - Scary...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

Pinnacle wrote:
So what you are telling me is that if I were to go to an IPSC deal with my G17 and a bunch of that ammo - I would be placed in major category? That would be fun....

I will tell you that when you do shoot that ammunition - it is a handful of 9mm - turns a 9mm into a real package of power.

You could enter Open, Modified & Standard with that combo, but be sure you consistantly make major in all kinds of conditions (hot & cold temps)
:D :D :D :D

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

Pinnacle wrote:

Except for
Quote:
Before major 9 was banned in IPSC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

someone1980 wrote:
Pinnacle wrote:

Except for
Quote:
Before major 9 was banned in IPSC

Major 9 is back in IPSC, they dropped the power floor.

Post subject: Thanks!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:14 pm 

For the 38 Super stats - I haven't made the plunge yet, but if I do I will be an EAA Stock, and these guns have barrels that are 3/4" diameter at the muzzle. Lotsa high tensile steel in the barrels of these guns.

BTW - I have worked an EAA Witness up to 45 Super, and it puts a Hornady 185 grain XTP out the front at 1250 FPS. Over on czforum.com there is somebody who has gotten a 45-08 (.308 case trimmed and reamed to make super strong 45 ACP brass) round to put a 45 caliber 200 grain SWC out the front at 1350 FPS. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:49 am 
Longtime Regular

I don't begrudge people fooling around and tricking out their guns to do wicked cool things. That's where we get nifty ideas. I just wish they'd stop calling it "Practical".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

Wow what a sweet gun. Everyone who shot it turned around and had a big smile on their face.

I think I would like to show up to an IPSC match sometime and watch people seriously operation them.

Thank you Selurcspi!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

Told ya! :lol:

That is all....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:55 pm 

Selurcspi, that was a blast. :D <-- (My expression after 5, or maybe 6, rounds.)

Thanks.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: EAA Capacity
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:36 am 

If you're interest in EAA, they are very cool, however please look at the potential magazine capacity. In a 2011 style it is not uncommon to get 27-29 rounds with long tubes and extended bases and still remain in the lenght requirement. I'm not sure but I do not think extended tubes and bases are available in the US for the EAA quite yet. I also looked at these about a year ago and honestly they are very interesting but not certainly the exception verese the rule in terms of populrity at the matches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:26 pm 

OK, I send my dues to USPSA/IPSC in hopes that they do something useful with it and they send me a pretty magazine in hopes that I read it. I can’t say I’m really doing my part, but did we get sucked out of the US rules and into the international rules or is it just a matter of who you know and where you go. Have I been unknowingly internationalized? Should I worry? Is there a cure?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:28 am 
Longtime Regular

I too got to play with Selurcspi's toys on the same day as Mo. Being at an outdoor range I was able to watch Mo shoot from the side, the way that comp puffs, it looks like Casey Jones rolling down the track!! 8) 8) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh I also got to shoot his .455 NONE GUN 8) :shock: :shock: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:31 am 
Longtime Regular

cdl wrote:
OK, I send my dues to USPSA/IPSC in hopes that they do something useful with it and they send me a pretty magazine in hopes that I read it. I can’t say I’m really doing my part, but did we get sucked out of the US rules and into the international rules or is it just a matter of who you know and where you go. Have I been unknowingly internationalized? Should I worry? Is there a cure?

Ahem....If you read the nice magazine :D :D :D You would know that the US rules are still derigeure here in the US, so much so that the BOD is planning on holding some "International Rule" matches as qualifiers for the World match and also crowning a "US IPSC" champion.
IMHO I think this is divisive, but no one listens to me when I tell them, I'm only a Life member under 600... :( :( :( :( :(

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.