Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:42 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 S&B ammo trouble 
 Post subject: S&B ammo trouble
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:15 am 

While out shooting today I had trouble with some S&B 38 spec 158gr LRN ammo. The gun was my taurus stainless M85 with pachmayr compac grips. Now here's the fun part, I was having bullets jump their crimp under rapid fire. This happened to 4 bullets over 4 loadings.

Load 1: Normal rapid fire, the 5th round jumped crimp enough to stop the cylinder rotation against the forcing cone.
Load 2: Same as above, I was thinking that it was a fluke.
Load 3: I fired slower (with a slight pause between rounds), no detectable jump (gun didn't lock up).
Load 4: A final test to confirm the issue. I was firing faster than before to attempt to duplicate the jump. Gun fired 3 times with 1 bullet jumped slightly and 1 quite a bit (stopped gun).

The bullets that jumped usually jumped roughly 1/16 of an inch. I don't have a caliper and can't fine a ruler around here.

The lot number printed on the package flap is: 516*232.

Yes, I will be calling S&B USA tomorrow as well as giving Sportsmans Guide (the retailer I got it from) a courtesy FYI call.

In a related note, I also encountered S&B's hard primer issue as well in 357 mag (158gr JSP). My M13-2 frequently wouldn't ignite with a DA hit, ignited fine with SA. Might take the gun in for a spring replacement/cleaning as I'm one who can't remove a side plate.

I'll let you all know what I find out.

Steelheart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:23 am 

Well, the German guys we used to shoot with called S&B "Schlecht & Billig". Terrible & Cheap. We'd probably say "cheap & nasty". Good reason for it, too...the S&B they sell the most of over there is practice quality only...Berdan primed and about one round in 10 would give you a feed failure, an extraction failure, failure to fire or some other thing. You NEVER took S&B to a real match unless you really had your heart set on coming in dead last.

OTOH, it was great malfunction practice:-)

We never saw the stuff you buy here before we came to the US. It must be their export quality stuff or something, which isn't saying much apparently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:27 am 

Well I just got off the phone with S&B. They asked me to box up the ammo and they would issue me a UPS Call Tag for the ammo, should arrive in the next day or two. The gentleman was polite that I talked with and just asked the basic questions, interestingly he didn't ask the lot number. I will include a basic note with the box explaining what happened and including the make/model gun used.

When I mentioned about the 357 hard primer issue he just kind of said "yeah". It can sit in storage for whenever I get another 357 or really want to shoot some SA.

I haven't had any issues previous to this with S&B ammo but haven't shot their revolver ammo in several years. After this I might not get their revolver ammo again. Have to see how the replacement ammo does and how long it takes to get to me.

I've shot their 9mm and 45acp ammo previously without trouble. I have recently shot 1000rds of their 9mm ammo without any issues. Maybe I'm just lucky...

Steelheart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have had issues with their 9mm ammo. Hard primers are a definite issue. However, with the cost I really do not get that concerned about it. Plus as chinakay stated, it does make great malfunction practice. When shooting practice ammo, cost is the only thing I worry about. The cheaper the better and S & B is usually the cheapest.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:25 pm 

Steelheart wrote:
interestingly he didn't ask the lot number.

There, you see? He didn't have to know the lot number because it's all like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:48 am 

If it was "all like that" I highly doubt that they would still be in business. And S&B has been around for many years. If you choose to not purchase/shoot S&B that's your choice. But please try to realize that you are not omniscient.

The gentleman at S&B may not have asked for the lot number as they would want to compare the ammo that I had with their samples from that lot. And getting the lot number from me beforehand would have been pointless.

FYI I recently put 1000rds of 9mm through 2 guns, mainly my XD, without any issues. And yes, the cost was the major buying point. But as most of us know, every gun is different. My xd was the first gun I've owned that tweaked on blazer alum. which has always run fine for me in other guns.

Steelheart

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.