Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:22 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Cor-Bon DPX test 
 Post subject: Cor-Bon DPX test
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

The idea for this thread started here.

I will order up some Cor-Bon DPX and test it using procedures similar to the BoxO'Truth methods. I offer a tip of my hat to Old Painless.

My interest is in 45ACP and 357mag. I will start with these and see if the test method proves out. I will photograph and document my results and share them if there is any interest.

Suggestions on other calibers and test methods are welcome.

"The attitude of people associating guns with nothing but crime, that is what has to be changed. I grew up at a time when people were not afraid of people with firearms." —Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia
Sierra Trading - Firearms Sales, Service and Training

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:41 pm 

Sounds like fun.

I have some testing I'd like to do - either with water jugs or wet newspaper/phonebooks.

I'm curious to find out if the cheapest ammo out there even expands at all. Specifiically the 9mm Remington UMC 100 round packs you (used to be able to) get at WalMart for about $15.

Like the BOT guys say "shooting stuff is fun." Let us know how it turns out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

I want to get some video of .308, 12 guage, and various pistol rounds hitting water jugs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:50 pm 
Trolling Doofus

Try going to a butcher shop and get some bones to put behind the wet paper. Years ago I read an article in one of the gun rags and the writer did that. He shot into wet paper with bones at different depths, and different bones. I think he also got parts of lung, and other scraps to see what would happen when the bullet hit different things. I don’t know what animal’s bones mimic humans the closest but I’m sure you could find out on the net. This would be good for both hunting and defense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:21 pm 

Over at ktog, there's some test results related to the dpx 380. Very convincing, even when shooting through denim layered over the wet paper.

If I remember correctly, the UMC, in either 380 or 9mm (can't remeber which) did not expand at all.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:19 pm 
Longtime Regular

Good DPX info can be found at www.stoppingpower.net. Evan Marshall only uses DPX in all his guns.

He also carries 3 to 5 guns all loaded with it. :)

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:33 pm 
Longtime Regular

Srigs wrote:
Good DPX info can be found at www.stoppingpower.net. Evan Marshall only uses DPX in all his guns.

Thanks, I had not discovered that one yet. I have run across several sites now that have tested it.
It is not going to deter me from trying a session myself! :D

"The attitude of people associating guns with nothing but crime, that is what has to be changed. I grew up at a time when people were not afraid of people with firearms." —Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:39 pm 
Longtime Regular

KonaSeven wrote:
Srigs wrote:

Thanks, I had not discovered that one yet. I have run across several sites now that have tested it.
It is not going to deter me from trying a session myself! :D

Please do. I have not found DPX except for S&W500 ammo.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

Here's a link to a test reported in John Farnham's Dtiquips
http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin ... hp?t=26256

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

plblark wrote:
Here's a link to a test reported in John Farnham's Dtiquips
http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin ... hp?t=26256

Great thread, thanks for the link. I haven't been on that site for awhile. I had to look up my password!

The ammo shipped yesterday. I have the box built. Now to find a source for a bunch of water/milk jugs. I swiped four out of our recycling box before it left.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:12 pm 
Longtime Regular

Finally got out and fired a few of the Cor-Bon DPX .45ACP +P 185 grain into water jugs.

Image45 AUTO+P 185 GR. DPX 1075 FPS/ 475 FTLBS

I lined up regular one gallon plastic milk jugs filled with water. The DPX bullets were recovered from the third jug each time. The first and second jugs completely emptied out in a wonderful spray of water. The third pretty much just ran out, quickly. The "front" side of the jug was tore open and the back side had a dent where the expanded bullet hit and fall to the bottom. A lot of water was displaced in a hurry upon impact.

Here is a photo of one of the recovered bullets. The other two looked the same.

ImageImage

Measured diameter at expanded tips = .83

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:26 pm 

What a pretty flower!

Talk about uniform expansion...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

Yes, they looked pretty cool. And, as expected with a solid copper bullet, it was still 185.6 grs on my scale.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.