Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:36 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 I'm a Freak for Federal Ammo 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:52 am 

:evil:

Last edited by BB Guns on Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:21 pm 

No problem. If anything else comes to mind, just ask.

Remember, if you have the questions, others either do or will in the future.

Steelheart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:27 am 

grayskys wrote:
I searched federals web site and didn't find a mention of "HI-SHOK", but from what I can glean on this forum the difference in performance probably isn’t worth the cost increase.

I personally would recommend EFMJ, which you can get from Streichers (and probably a lot of other places as well) for around $17.00 per box of 50. They sell Hydro-Shok as well for about the same price, but I am told heavy clothing can plug the hollow point causing it not to expand.

PS: I don’t work for Streichers or Federal or get any revenue from the sale of any of the above-mentioned products (unfortunately.)

Box of truth:
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot8.htm

It appears you're completely correct. I was ready to argue but the BoT shows that what you said actually holds true.

As a side note, that site deserves a thread of its own, but I figured most people here have already seen it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:27 pm 
On time out

Go to this Federal page and download some of the "Wound Ballistic Workshop" reports (PDF files) from tests they've done for a few LE agencies. They're basically trying to show that as far as JHP rounds go, the new HST has the best chance of positively expanding through a given medium.

Unfortunately, it's still not a sure thing; while I don't think a plugged point bothers the 'Hi-Shok 2' as often if at all, they still have some core-jacket separation issues through auto glass.

So for JHP's, the P45HST1 sold me as a really good round for my .45 ACP. It has all the goodness of the Hydra-Shok people have loved for so long, but with less expansion problems. However, the EFMJ design is probably the most reliable of everything available.[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:18 pm 
Longtime Regular

Wow, I just looked up the .45 ACP EFMJ at Ammoman, where I've bought it before -- it's $27 (including shipping).

Streicher's is $24. A good deal at Streicher's!! It was bound to happen some day. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:35 pm 
On time out

Haha. Yeah, I just did the comparison today too. The way you would save at ammoman is by buying half a case+ since Eric at ammoman figures in his shipping costs. If my calculations are correct, 500 rounds shipped from Streicher's is $254.95 and $250 even from Eric. The spread gets bigger for 1,000 rounds. And doesn't Streicher's have to charge MN residents sales tax? I forget if they did the one time I ordered online through them, but I would assume that they do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:19 pm 
Longtime Regular

This was just on the local news a couple of weeks ago. Internet purchase sales tax are supposed to be paid by the consumer!!! :roll: The state was whining about all the sales tax it was losing due to internet sales and people not paying those taxes like they were supposed to.

Here's the news article: http://www.kstptv5.com/article/stories/ ... html?cat=1

Here's where it says that buyers are required to pay internet sales tax:
Quote:
Buying on the web
If you buy taxable items over the Internet or through mail order for use in Minnesota, you must pay Minnesota sales and use tax. If the business from which you made the purchase does not charge you sales tax, you must pay use tax directly to the state. The same rules apply when you go to another state and buy taxable items for use in Minnesota.

http://www.taxes.state.mn.us/taxes/sale ... ales.shtml

It seems that the State just WON'T stay out of our pockets !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

Prolix wrote:
Haha. Yeah, I just did the comparison today too. The way you would save at ammoman is by buying half a case+ since Eric at ammoman figures in his shipping costs. If my calculations are correct, 500 rounds shipped from Streicher's is $254.95 and $250 even from Eric. The spread gets bigger for 1,000 rounds. And doesn't Streicher's have to charge MN residents sales tax? I forget if they did the one time I ordered online through them, but I would assume that they do.

Yeah, for sure they're supposed to charge you tax if you're in MN, and it seems to me most online places do. I still figure that if I'm buying it online from another state, MN sale tax doesn't apply. Of course the state thinks it does but they're just wrong.

Anyway Streicher's is right up the street from where I work, so I'll probably stop by this week and buy some for $24 + 7% = $25.68 a box. I don't shoot up the self-defense ammo fast enough to justify buying 500 or a 1000 rounds. And maybe they'll have something cool in the clearance bin in the corner (where I spend 99% of my time when I visit there).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:40 pm 
On time out

Beware: Streicher's won't sell "Law Enforcement Ammunition"-marked ammo to mere mortals. I tried to get some HST's there in person once after someone told me, 'Oh, Streicher's would probably carry that', and I got shut down.

Went home, fired up a web browser, ordered some -- no issues :D Unlike some online stores which also make you submit proof of LE status for "LE-only" ammo orders. Oh wait, I just realized you could very well be an LEO. Well, FYI either way.

I should probably grab some EFMJ's too. I'd buy a case if ammoman were the only place I could get it from (get while the gettin's good mindset), but Streicher's product availability is far less likely to change.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.