Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:03 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 I'm a Freak for Federal Ammo 
 Post subject: I'm a Freak for Federal Ammo
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:10 pm 

I basically agree that it matters much more that you hit and where you hit, than what you shoot someone with. That being said I really like the premium Federal ammo Expanding Full Metal Jacket (EFMJ) for carry.

My understanding from police sources is this is very effective ammo and has reportedly been used to good effect in St Paul. It seems that clothing is a real issue for the hollow points so this appears to be Federal's attempt to address the issue.

As grayskys pointed out Streichers is a good place to buy:
http://streichers.com/catalog/Products/ ... 3&x=22&y=8

9mm is $15
40 is $18
45 is $25 all for a box of 50

in Hi Shock it is $13.50 to $17 depending on the caliber and weight

Hydra Shok is $15.50 to $31 for 50 rounds of .357 Magnum

They also carry American Eagle and CCI

Federal Expanding FMJ
This revolutionary barrier-penetrating design combines a scored full metal nose over an internal rubber tip that collapses on impact. It never fills with barrier material and assures expansion on every shot. A base lead core assures weight retention. It is an ideal choice for agencies that do not permit hollow point ammunition.

Last edited by IDPA Shooter on Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

I tend to switch Ammunition twice a year. I use Hydro-Shock in the summer, an EFMJ the rest of the year. I will probably go to EFMJ year round next year, I just don't quite feel comfortable enough with it yet.

I have been told buy a friend that St. Paul PD uses EFMJ with great results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:27 pm 

I like the Federal Personal Protection loads in my carry .45 but I won't touch any Federal hunting ammo because of function issues that they would not help me with.

NRA Life Member

2006 FLHRCI RoadKing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:42 am 
Forum Moderator

It sounds neat, but I won't touch Federal 10mm loads because they're loaded below 40S&W.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'd like to know what the diff is between the Hi-Shok and the Hydra-Shok, is it worth the cost?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:59 am 
Longtime Regular

I searched federals web site and didn't find a mention of "HI-SHOK", but from what I can glean on this forum the difference in performance probably isn’t worth the cost increase.

I personally would recommend EFMJ, which you can get from Streichers (and probably a lot of other places as well) for around $17.00 per box of 50. They sell Hydro-Shok as well for about the same price, but I am told heavy clothing can plug the hollow point causing it not to expand.

PS: I don’t work for Streichers or Federal or get any revenue from the sale of any of the above-mentioned products (unfortunately.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:25 am 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

Hi-Shok has probably been discontinued. My opinion (only reading the internet) is that it was probably like the Whinchester's Silver Tips.

Hydra-shok looks like it expands efficiently

The HST's look impressive to me. I already like the Whinchester RangerT's (newest version of the black talons), and the HST's expand like the Ranger's but without the Talons. They are designed to avoid getting clogged by fabric, and are supposed to expand with less force.

I really like the looks of the Expanding FMJ. That's like guaranteed expansion...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:32 am 
Longtime Regular

One of IDPA Shooters friends (a cop) has said that he has been to several autopsies and that the performance of EFMJ has been very good. He also said St. Paul police were now using EFMJ.

If I miss-stated anything IDPA Shooter said, I am sure he will correct me.

Post subject: Cheapskate question
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

Can you just buy the bullets and stuff them in your own cases? Or does Federal not sell the bullets?

Post subject: Quik-Shok
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:43 pm 
on probation

I like the Quik-Shok: see http://www.impactsites2000.com/site3/triton.htm
My 2 and 1/2 cent worth.... :roll:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:33 pm 

:evil: :

Last edited by BB Guns on Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:06 am 

:evil:

Last edited by BB Guns on Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:02 pm 

I just took a quick look and couldn't find something listed as a low recoil HS load. But I'll take a guess at it anyway.

What you likely are looking at is the Personal Defense line of ammo. Federal has used reduced weight bullets and a higher than normal velocity (compared to standard velocity) to reduce felt recoil. However, I've head but haven't tried to be sure that some PD loads have more recoil than standard (the load discussed was 357mag). The PD loads have been out for several years.

The HS bullet has been out for many years, while being tweaked occasionally. But it does have a proven track record as being affective (for a handgun).

Personally I prefer to use the 230 gr Hydra shok when I carry my 1911. I have only shot a few rounds though light weight 45's (non-1911) but didn't feel the recoil was unpleasant (just didn't like the trigger). In other calibers I chose to use other ammo (9mmP I use corbon 115gr +P's for example).

What caliber/load were you looking at? And were you just wondering or are you trying to find a more manageable (but still effective) load for an existing gun?

Steelheart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:46 pm 

:evil:

Last edited by BB Guns on Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:24 am 

That's the Personal Defense line of ammo. Federal might have changed the marketing but I recognize the loads/bullet weights.

In 38 for a low recoil load I'd try the 110gr first but there might not be much difference between them. Get a box or two of each and let her try. But the main thing that you could do to deal with the recoil is to try different grips. I have a taurus 38 snub with a steel frame. The factory grips aren't real fun. If I switch to a set of pachmayr's all the recoil goes away. As the gun's a S&W you have a much larger selection of grips to chose from. Basically I prefer something rubber with a bit of thickness (1/4" is nice) over the back strap, but I havn't played with non-rubber grips on the 38 yet. FWIW I use Rem. 158gr +P LHP for mine (I can get them locally).

In 45 auto, I'd try some of the lighter weight bullets. Once again, get a box or two of each and try them out. If you're concerned about the short 1911's reliability I'd suggest trying the 165gr EFMJ as it should feed like ball. I'm guessing that you have the alum. frame so I have some bad news for you, there's not much weight to help absorb the recoil/muzzle flip. The 185gr bullet weight seems to the the other standard load for 45 auto (along with 230gr).

Even thought this thread is about Federal ammo I won't recommend neglecting the other major brands. Also, the ability to get either your primary load or an alternate load locally (vs having to order online etc.) is nice as well.

Steelheart

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.