Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:48 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 .45 gap vs .45 acp 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:07 am 
Longtime Regular

I should probably go get myself some coffee. It took me two paragraphs to figure out that the .45 SAP article is a joke :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:20 am 
Forum Moderator

goalie wrote:
If you reload, it is quite the viable round. As others have said though, it is pretty much an answer in search of a question, especially given the performance of premium ammunition out of the .40's and 9's nowdays.

I would think that chasing the brass would be a big pain considering it would be pretty close to 45 ACP. I used nickel plated 10mm brass and I still occasionally end up with a couple of 40s in my bag of empties and even some nickel 45s if I'm not paying close attention.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:14 pm 

Where can I get dies for that little SAP :) Wincheser has found a way to duplicate, with the HIGH pressure of the GAP round, the muzzle velocity of the 230 grain for which the LOW pressure .45 ACP is renown. Notwithstanding 45 +P's, the GAP is the equal of the ACP. But if your ears had to vote, the low pressure round would win in a confined space or car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:25 pm 
Journeyman Member

Love the .45SAP...

That reminds me of one photoshopped joke of SIG's new necked down cartridge... it was some massive african game nitro round necked down to .223...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

doctor_strangelove wrote:
That reminds me of one photoshopped joke of SIG's new necked down cartridge... it was some massive african game nitro round necked down to .223...
I've been working on this .17/50BMG wildcat......... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:37 pm 
1911 tainted

ironbear wrote:

I've got one on a shelf above my loading bench, usually first thing to get someones attention. :shock:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:24 pm 
Forum Moderator

ironbear wrote:
doctor_strangelove wrote:

I wonder how hard it would be to develop a .17 sabot for .50 BMG rounds. I swear I remember reading that the miltary's used saboted .30 slugs fired from .50s.

Post subject: The 17/12.7x99 is OLD news
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:49 pm 

I saw gag 17 caliber 50 BMG rounds on boards in gun shops probably 20 years ago when 17 caliber bullets came out.

As far as the 45 GAP is concerned, like Joel says, it's a LOOONNNGGG walk in the park to go a short way. Just to get a slightly narrower slide on a Glock you come up with a proprietary 45 case ( which just by some STRANGE coincidence is EXACTLY 19mm long like a 9mm cartridge, which means that Glock put all of 15 seconds worth of thought into the cartridge's LENGTH spec... :roll: ), while you can buy multiple sizes of micro 1911's from several different companies in practically all shape factors that you could desire??

Thanks anyway, but I'll stick with my EAA and Springfield 45 Supers. The EAA can put a Hornady 185 grain XTP out the pipe at 1250, and the 6" V-16 can put a 230 RN out at 1200 FPS. Now THAT's a 45 Steak with some SIZZLE to it. Compared to that, the 45 Gap is sorta like cold lunchmeat. :roll:

Post subject: Re: The 17/12.7x99 is OLD news
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:17 am 
Designated waste of protoplasm

Seismic Sam wrote:
I saw gag 17 caliber 50 BMG rounds on boards in gun shops probably 20 years ago when 17 caliber bullets came out.

As far as the 45 GAP is concerned, like Joel says, it's a LOOONNNGGG walk in the park to go a short way. Just to get a slightly narrower slide on a Glock you come up with a proprietary 45 case ( which just by some STRANGE coincidence is EXACTLY 19mm long like a 9mm cartridge, which means that Glock put all of 15 seconds worth of thought into the cartridge's LENGTH spec... :roll: ), while you can buy multiple sizes of micro 1911's from several different companies in practically all shape factors that you could desire??

Thanks anyway, but I'll stick with my EAA and Springfield 45 Supers. The EAA can put a Hornady 185 grain XTP out the pipe at 1250, and the 6" V-16 can put a 230 RN out at 1200 FPS. Now THAT's a 45 Steak with some SIZZLE to it. Compared to that, the 45 Gap is sorta like cold lunchmeat. :roll:

Again Sam - good post

Nice to see someone excited about something...

Post subject: Actually,
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:56 pm 

My EAA 45 Super apparently is a LITTLE bit intimidating, because the last time I shot it another big time gun junkie at Oakdale was watching, and when I offered to let him shoot it, he said NO THANKS!! :oops: The recoil IS reminiscent of my .440 Corbon DE... Sorta like a triple shot of French roast expresso...

Post subject: Re: Actually,
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:08 am 

Seismic Sam wrote:
My EAA 45 Super apparently is a LITTLE bit intimidating, because the last time I shot it another big time gun junkie at Oakdale was watching, and when I offered to let him shoot it, he said NO THANKS!! :oops: The recoil IS reminiscent of my .440 Corbon DE... Sorta like a triple shot of French roast expresso...

Sounds like a short course in self abuse - but triple shot if French Roast Espresso... I can deal with that.

Post subject: Re: Actually,
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:12 am 
The Man

Pinnacle wrote:
Seismic Sam wrote:

Sounds like a short course in self abuse - but triple shot if French Roast Espresso... I can deal with that.
I dunno. I find the recoil of my .45 Super certainly intense, but fun. And I'm anything but a recoil junkie. I'd rather shoot it -- cost aside -- than my pocket snubby with +P rounds. By a lot.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

mobocracy wrote:
I wonder how hard it would be to develop a .17 sabot for .50 BMG rounds. I swear I remember reading that the miltary's used saboted .30 slugs fired from .50s.
SLAP - Saboted Light Armor Piercing round. The sabots are made, among others, by a plastics manufacturer right here in the Twin Cities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:07 pm 

White Horseradish wrote:
mobocracy wrote:
SLAP - Saboted Light Armor Piercing round. The sabots are made, among others, by a plastics manufacturer right here in the Twin Cities.

How do you think that we get 166gr APM2 to travel at about 4800 fps? Yeah thats right.... about 4800 fps.....

thats the magic of the sabot and a 50 BMG

Post subject: Sabots?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:40 pm 

In Minnesota, like the word boat, sabot is TWO FULL syllables... :oops:

Yes, they have 30 caliber sabots in 50 caliber cases, and if I recall some ammo ads from years ago they have either 22 or 17 caliber rounds in 30 caliber cases.

As far as a 17 caliber sabot OR bullet in a 50 BMG case - it's PURE military intelligence. No way you could get a powder slow enough to burn reliably and still give you a consistent pressure spike.

BTW - The depleted uranium round on the M1 Abrams is a sabot, and the muzzle velocity is 5,000 FPS - Can you say Iraqui barbecue??

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.