Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:09 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Best Ammo choice for the .38spl (+p) snubbie? 
 Post subject: Best Ammo choice for the .38spl (+p) snubbie?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:13 am 

I've done some reading about the 135-grain Speer Gold Dot .38spl+p cartridge and it makes sense to me, but I haven't seen any of the stuff on the shelves.

It is fairly new and was designed for LE specifically for .38 snubbies so maybe it's not available for the civilian market yet. I'm currently using the Remington Golden Saber 125gr.

I have heard of what is called the "FBI" load using lead wadcutters but I have not met anyone who actually uses it. Maybe that is a thing of the past since modern ammunition/gun technology has improved so much.

Let's talk .38spl. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:50 am 

Currently I carry 158gr +P lead hollow points in my snub. It may be old tech but I"m not worried about that.

I've heard good things about the 135gr Speer load the the Corbon DPX as well. Both of them are +P I think. I havn't seen prices on the 135gr but the DPX isn't cheap. Hence the reason I'm still using the LHP.

Atleast down here there isn't much of a selection for social ammo. There's the cheaper stuff and that's about it. I havn't found anybody yet who stocks +P 9mm ammo for example.

You might end up ordering the ammo online if you want to try some.

Steelheart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:36 pm 

I use federal hydra-shocks. They work just great, just like every other ammo... ;)

Luckily I've not run into the occasion to shoot someone, especially someone that is willing to give me to opportunity to shoot them with several different types of personal defense rounds and give me feedback :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:08 pm 

JCinMN wrote:
I use federal hydra-shocks. They work just great, just like every other ammo... ;)

Luckily I've not run into the occasion to shoot someone, especially someone that is willing to give me to opportunity to shoot them with several different types of personal defense rounds and give me feedback :P

Sure, I understand that it's mostly just numbers on paper and not a lot of data on actual shootings, but it seems that ammo co.'s do alot of research into the development of something they "think" may be improved. I would think that it has some validity and not fluff just to sell a product.

Since the .38spl is the "smallest" caliber I think is adaquate for SD (IMO) I would like the most effective ammunition available. That's just me.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:28 pm 

johnalbert wrote:

Sure, I understand that it's mostly just numbers on paper and not a lot of data on actual shootings, but it seems that ammo co.'s do alot of research into the development of something they "think" may be improved. I would think that it has some validity and not fluff just to sell a product.

Since the .38spl is the "smallest" caliber I think is adaquate for SD (IMO) I would like the most effective ammunition available. That's just me.

8)

I don't disagree there, I think they'll all suffice though as long as they're reliable.

Post subject: I just switched
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:44 am 
Journeyman Member

I used to carry the Hydra-Shok 129gr +p loads, but I recently switched to the Remington Golden Sabre 125 gr +p.

I've been carrying the GS in my XD40 for a couple of years now and I just had never been able to fing it in .38spl. I finally found it at Sportsman's Guide in South St Paul for 12.97 per box of 25.

This is a slightly better deal than the 12.49 per box of 20 I was getting the Hydra-Shok for and performance numbers on the two are virtually identical so I made the switch.

I'm also getting .40 180gr FMJ down there for 7.17/box of 50. I figure 14.3 cents per round is about as cheap as you can buy any ammo, even the reloads that Cabelas sells are more than that. :D

Post subject: Glaser
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:07 pm 

80 gr Blue .38 Special +P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:03 am 

I bought the 135 gr Gold Dots at Koscielski's a few months ago. Mark is the only one I know of who carries/d them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:07 am 
Journeyman Member

the current "Combat Handguns" has a good article on different loads and their performance out of snubs. Expansion/penetration, 4-layer denim, velocities, etc. Good article. I think they came down on the speer side of things, but they tested a bunch of loads, and I can't remember for sure.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.