Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:21 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Frangible Ammunition 
 Post subject: Frangible Ammunition
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

I haven't heard much/any talk about Frangible Ammunition. With its limited penitration one would think it would be more idea for urban/suburban use.

Post subject: It is
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:11 pm 

I've heard police don't like it because it fails to leave any ballistic evidence.

I carry with 80 gr. .38 sp +P Glaser Blue
There's alot to be said for 100% energy transfer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

How are the for reliability and barrel wear?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:03 pm 
The Man

grayskys wrote:
How are the for reliability and barrel wear?
Too expensive to find out, in practice. :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: It is
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:15 pm 

Airborne wrote:
There's alot to be said for 100% energy transfer.

There's more to be said for knowing your bullet will penetrate to hit the vitals of what you are trying to stop.

I routinely get hit with 1/2 pound pucks going between 95 and 105 mph when playing against ex-NHL players. I have yet to be "knocked down" when stopping the puck in my chest, which results in 100% energy transfer to myself every time.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: if you don't hit the spine or brain, you are not going to get a "stop" unless whoever you shoot decides to stop. Even if you take out the heart, you have a good 15+ seconds of oxygen in your brain. I can do a lot in 15 seconds, can you?

That said, frangible may be a great choice if overpenetration is a serious issue. I just wouldn't expect anyone to be impressed by it any more than ball ammo when you shoot them with it........

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:58 am 
Longtime Regular

Living in N. MPLS I just get a little concerned that if I get into a situation were I have to use my weapon, and I miss, that the round may hit someone else. Having a round that would fragment on hitting the wall of a house (instead of going threw the wall) would take some worry off my mind.

You might say; limiting collateral damage in an urban/suburban environment is a good thing :)

But I don’t thing I could afford to use the Glaser round at $160.00+ just for what I would carry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

grayskys, I live in North MPLS also and have the same concerns, but I feel that the hollowpoints I carry will not over penetrate. Plus as others have said, it is just too darn expensive.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:19 am 
Longtime Regular

Over penitration is why I won't carry a 10mm only a 9mm and a .40cal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

Some time ago, I had purchased MagSafe ammo. I thought it would be preferable not to have over penetration in urban areas. I was at the range practicing and using the self-defense loads, when my Taurus Millennium 45 stopped functioning. The loads were hot enough to blow out the spring. Sent it back to Taurus, they fixed it for no charge. Soon as I got it back, I sold it. I don’t use MagSafe ammo anymore :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:47 am 

JDR wrote:
Sent it back to Taurus, they fixed it for no charge. Soon as I got it back, I sold it. I don’t use MagSafe ammo anymore

I think this has a whole lot more to do with your choice of firearm. I've heard *nothing* but bad things about Taurus. It's cheap...and it's cheap.

I carry RBCD frangible rounds in my .380 because .380 just seems a little too small. If they give even a slight increase in performance than that's great. The comments about 15 seconds of oxygen are true, but if your solid slug doesn't hit anything important than they'll never stop. In theory, frangible rounds will hit more vital objects with a smaller fragment.

There is a bottom-line, though: if they worked the best then police and military would carry them. Why don't they? It's not like they can't afford it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

I am pretty sure the geniva convention only allows round nose non-expanding ammunition for the military.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:18 am 

grayskys wrote:
Over penitration is why I won't carry a 10mm only a 9mm and a .40cal.

I was shooting through 4x4 pieces of oak lumber this weekend with 9mm hollow points. Actually, they were going through gallon milk jugs full of water, then the 4x4's and then the wood pallet behind and into the hill. Needless to say, there was a huge exit hole but I have serious doubts that a wall would stop those things.

I had even more fun with my 45 - my new carry piece.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:33 pm 
1911 tainted

My concern with frangible types of ammunition is how it would perform on someone wearing a down vest or such. This being Minnesota, a very dense outer garment is a reality, and I have doubts on the performace of this type of ammo in this type of situation.

My personal preference is 200 gr hollow points in my 45, and 115 gr hollow points in my 9mm. I can assume that some people will find fault in my choice of ammo, as I do with frangible, and this is just fine. I just don't have confidence in frangible, and confidence in what I carry is a big issue to me when the you know what hits the fan. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

Heavy clothing like parkas can plug a hollow point like federals Hydro-Shock so during the colder month I switch to federals EFMJ (expanding full metal jacket). I here its performance is very good (so good I may start carrying it year round).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:12 pm 
Longtime Regular

I think my spell/grammer checker was taking a nap on my last post! :shock:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.