Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:07 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 10mm enough said! 
 Post subject: 10mm enough said!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:48 pm 

Well I am a Big "10" fan so Ia m a tad partial to the caliber But ballistics do not lie and FPS and energy transfer are a real and active force. But when is there to much?.............The age old question! Unfortunatley you will never get a straight answer as the human race is made up of skinny,fat, tall short, thick and hollow type of bodies.

Use what you have confidence in and shoot well with period!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:17 pm 
Forum Moderator

Do you carry 10mm and what load do you carry? What's your practice load?

I've been carrying the Winchester Silvertips, since it's one of the few mostly-full-powered factory loadings; the redeeming factor is that of all the potential factory loadings, it's not a terrible one.

I shoot reloads for practice -- 8.1 grains Power Pistol over 180gr FMJ flat points. I have no idea where this load chronos, but it feels about the same as the Winchester load out of my Glock 29, and is at the "max" end of Alliant's load recommendation for 190gr FMJ bullets.

I've been tempted to carry handloads, but I figure the Winny's are as good as I could turn out anyway, and it does at least placate an element of doubt, although other than a minor under crimp problem in a tight chamber, I've never had a function problem with handloads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:17 pm 

I carry Double -Tap 165 grn. Golden Sabre's
Practice ammo is any FMJ available. I usualy can get Federal Premium JHP for under $10.00 a box of 50 in western Maryland when I do get this I use this for practice
But the GS are what I carry for personal defence and about once a month run about 30 rounds of Double Tap through the pipe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:46 am 
Longtime Regular

I've been looking at the EAA Witness in this caliber, any experience here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:52 am 
Forum Moderator

chunkstyle wrote:

They don't look bad cosmetically, but I think the overall buzz on them is that they need some cleaning up to run reliably and some people with experience with them won't carry them because they just can't get them to run reliably. They are inexpensive enough that a lot of people make a run at making them work or at least don't mind the glitches for a $450 plinker.

Anyway, that's my summary, you may want to check out 10mmtalk.com under the "Current Production" forum for more first-person experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:03 am 
Longtime Regular

chunkstyle wrote:

Chunk, ya young Devil Dog, you can shoot mine on Wednesday if you come to the league. I'll bring some lead wadcutters, too. I like my Witness 10MM pretty well, just straight out of the box. I did make a change on the front sight, it's now white vs the red it used to be.

Mobo, I've done nothing to mine except for the front sight. It's fairly accurate, the trigger pull don't bother me and I have had NO Fail to feed/ fail to fires to date. I think I could use better eyes, though :shock:

TK, where do you find 10MM FMJs for $10/box of 50 ?? I'm lucky to find wadcutters for under $16/ 50

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:48 pm 

No doubt the 10mm produces a TON of energy. It is indeed a great neutralizer. However, the drawbacks to the 10mm are the idea you need a large framed pistol (full size 1911) to use this round. The other negative is the fact it is a rather expensive round to shoot, unless you reload. Finding the ammunition could prove to be tough at times.

But again, I do agree with you the 10mm is a very potent neutralizer....I know I wouldn't want to get hit by it.

IDPA member A08208

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:02 pm 
Forum Moderator

Zerwas wrote:
No doubt the 10mm produces a TON of energy. It is indeed a great neutralizer. However, the drawbacks to the 10mm are the idea you need a large framed pistol (full size 1911) to use this round. The other negative is the fact it is a rather expensive round to shoot, unless you reload. Finding the ammunition could prove to be tough at times.

But again, I do agree with you the 10mm is a very potent neutralizer....I know I wouldn't want to get hit by it.

You don't need a large framed pistol. True full-house .357s aren't all that much less powerful than 10mm (50-75fps), but people seem to manage them in snubbies.

I was really hesitant about how controllable the G29 would be with full-house rounds, but it's actually not an issue. A guy next to me at the range recently was shooting a .380 PPK; we took turns with each others guns and he didn't seem to have any problems with the G29, and I thought the PPK was hell to shoot!!

What really scares me is the S&W 357PD; I'm not sure how anyone could handle full-house .41 mag in a scandium-framed gun!

Post subject: Re: 10mm enough said!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:23 am 

I love my G29 and both of my EAA's I have a match, and another one that I bought about 10 years ago.
I have never had a problem with any of them........

I would also be curious where TK found ammo for $10/50 PLEASE TELL ME.......I will call or oerder online if I have to for that price. I have been buying most of mine at Georgia Arms, and reload from there.

As for the EAA 10mm match, it is one of the most accurate handguns I have ever fired.....they have come a long way in 10 years.

I carry Winchester Silvertip 175gn. JHP

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:44 pm 

EAA10 wrote:
I love my G29 and both of my EAA's I have a match, and another one that I bought about 10 years ago.

I would also be curious where TK found ammo for $10/50 PLEASE TELL ME.......I will call or oerder online if I have to for that price. I have been buying most of mine at Georgia Arms, and reload from there.

As for the EAA 10mm match, it is one of the most accurate handguns I have ever fired.....they have come a long way in 10 years.

$10/50 find a time machine. those days and that administration are long gone.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:55 am 
Raving Moderate

Mattxd wrote:
EAA10 wrote:

$10/50 find a time machine. those days and that administration are long gone.

This is the danger of thread necromancy... :wink: The original thread was from 2006, before the ObamaElectedTheSkyIsFallingAmmoCrisis™.

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:05 pm 

This is the danger of thread necromancy... :wink: The original thread was from 2006, before the ObamaElectedTheSkyIsFallingAmmoCrisis™.[/quote]

Of course I noticed that after I originally posted, but to be honest, I will use about an excuse to talk about 10mm. I am relatively new here, and was cheking out a lot of threads....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:09 am 

If I won the lottery and money was no object, I'd buy one of Smith & Wesson's recently revived .41 Magnum revolvers. As much stopping power and then some as you could ever want against a human target, but not as overpowered as the famous .44 Magnum.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 4:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

I was looking at the S&W 41s, not to sure what the recoil/performance is like, tho I have a S&W model 627 snub nose (from their performance center) in 357 on my "win the lottery list". Clint Eastwood used one in a so-so movie called blood work. The firearm seems to lack the fiber-optic sight Clint had in the movie tho... Wonder if they could special order it, my eyes are not aging gracefully.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:55 am 
The Man

grayskys wrote:
I was looking at the S&W 41s, not to sure what the recoil/performance is like, tho I have a S&W model 627 snub nose (from their performance center) in 357 on my "win the lottery list". Clint Eastwood used one in a so-so movie called blood work. The firearm seems to lack the fiber-optic sight Clint had in the movie tho... Wonder if they could special order it, my eyes are not aging gracefully.

Whose are? In practice, with most guns, aftermarket sight installation is not a terribly complicated deal.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.