Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:04 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Just about Perfect... 
 Post subject: Just about Perfect...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:05 pm 
The Man

The 44 special, of course. Great ballistics -- typically just around what a 45 does, although if you can get it loaded closer to maximum pressure, it's better. (I don't know if there's any full-house commercial stuff these days, but I've got a friend who is an extremely reliable reloader, and he loads my carry ammo for me in 44.)

And it's a revolver, too. Gotta love the revolver drill for the FTGB (Failure To Go Bang): pull the trigger again. That's a lot more intuitive, instinctive, and a heck of a lot faster than, say, tap, invert, rack, assess, and you're much less likely to have to use it anyway.

The only problem is size. There's a real trade-off -- you can get down to the same size, more or less, of a 38 snubby only with the Bulldog, which is a little heavy; the Taurus ultralight is just about K-frame size. Which makes pocket carry practical only with the heavier gun.

As I said, it's just about perfect -- now, if we can only get somebody to make something Bulldog-sized in titanium or scandium...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:55 pm 

Corbon and Buffalo Bore list loads that look to be full power. BB does specify that their ammo is not safe in Charter Bulldog's.

Taurus also made a 5 shot 45acp and 45 colt snubbies as well.

They weren't made for long but S&W made an alum(??) frame 5 shot 44 L frame with a profile like bodyguard. I think the model was 296.

I've been thinking about a snub 5 shot 44 for a while. Haven't decided to spend the money though. Either frame but with a bobbed hammer for a large pocket carry (think winter....).

Steelheart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:08 pm 
Longtime Regular

If anyone is considering buying the (new) Charter Arms Bulldog, I suggest you take a careful look at the firearm first. I recently special ordered one for a customer and it looks like the quality has sharply declined since they've filed for Chapter 11. All Charter Arms guns are now sold through MKS Supply, makers of Hi-Point guns.

Just a word of warning!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:39 pm 

Personally, I wouldn't get a Bulldog since, from what I've seen/heard, they aren't rated to be as strong as other 5 shot 44's. But it depends on what a person wants.

Steelheart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

My avatar shows my 3" 629 which I consider about perfect and actually conceals quite well. 6 shots and you can use .44 special in the city and .44 magnum out in the country. Needs a good belt though since it is a little heavy.

BTW I'm in my Arizona location for the winter. It's been in the mid 70's every day since I arrived on Dec. 30. Shooting range right up the street and you can wear shorts and T shirt. :D

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

You can wear shorts and a t-shirt here too, but you'd be an idiot to do so! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:37 pm 
Delicate Flower

Old Dude wrote:
You can wear shorts and a t-shirt here too, but you'd be an idiot to do so! :roll:

Shorts ?????? what are they!!! :?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

ttousi wrote:
Old Dude wrote:

Shorts ?????? what are they!!! :?

Proof positive you're not an idiot.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.